Oh noez, I'm getting married! (countdown thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just a bit of advise, having been married for almost 30 years now. make sure that your wife is the most important person in your life, more important than are parents, freinds, dog, cats, hampsters, etc. And make sure that you are the most important person in her life.

In a great marriage, self becomes partnership. Also, if you love diving, and she loves diving as well, you will have something you can do together, and enjoy together for a long, long time. Find something, anything that both of you can do together.

Television can be evil. It can take up so much of your time that you forget to live life.

If children are going to be a part of the equation, make them an integral part of every day, and live your life the way you would like them to live theirs. Be the example.

Finally, take the time, every day, to find something positive about your partner, and give her something positive to find about you. Going to bed angry is a very bad thing. Go to bed loving, and looking forward to tomorrow.

When you immerse yourself into your family, then the rewards will outweigh any other thing you could possibly do in this life. Enjoy each other, and realize that every experience you have can be used for good, to enjoy, or to teach you something.

Marriage is so overwhelmingly enjoyable, if only both partners put forth the effort to truly give of themselves to each other.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

I have just a bit of advise, having been married for almost 30 years now. make sure that your wife is the most important person in your life, more important than are parents, freinds, dog, cats, hampsters, etc. And make sure that you are the most important person in her life.

In a great marriage, self becomes partnership. Also, if you love diving, and she loves diving as well, you will have something you can do together, and enjoy together for a long, long time. Find something, anything that both of you can do together.

Television can be evil. It can take up so much of your time that you forget to live life.

If children are going to be a part of the equation, make them an integral part of every day, and live your life the way you would like them to live theirs. Be the example.

Finally, take the time, every day, to find something positive about your partner, and give her something positive to find about you. Going to bed angry is a very bad thing. Go to bed loving, and looking forward to tomorrow.

When you immerse yourself into your family, then the rewards will outweigh any other thing you could possibly do in this life. Enjoy each other, and realize that every experience you have can be used for good, to enjoy, or to teach you something.

Marriage is so overwhelmingly enjoyable, if only both partners put forth the effort to truly give of themselves to each other.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

So that is what I did wrong, I put the hamster first!:LOL:

Great advice, Goodweed! We both love diving - but she can't dive due to sinus issues that can hopefully be repaired by surgery. We compromise by snorkeling, although I'm still allowed to dive on my own from time to time.

We don't make enough time to enjoy life together - so busy with so much that in our free time we just plop down in front of the TV. It's awful and I hate it, and I'm going to do something about it after the wedding when things become less hectic. We need to get out of this apartment more!

don't listen to goodweed, matt. about tv that is. the rest is obvious, blah blah blah...

when i had to work a lot of evenings, so that my wife and i saw little of each other, one of the things we could share and talk about was the few tv shows that we both liked. it made the times when we made time to spoon together on the couch to catch the finale that much more special.

ok, advice:

happiness is what you make of it. or better said, you're as happy as you make your mind up to be. same goes for everyone. try to make it easy to see for those you care about.

and it's ok to go to bed angry, only if you both wake up realizing every day is a new day and everything can be worked out.

and yes, i admitted to spooning! :-p

Good advice as well, bucky! It's obvious that no matter what a couple does, a couple is only going to be as happy as they *want* to be, and only if they make the effort to do so.

HAHA...you admitted to spooning! :ROFLMAO:

ok...it is nice though, isn't it?

congrats on getting hitched .. my DW and i are nearing 10 years this year ..
she is and always has been my best friend ... the person is go to when
i need to vent, complain, cry, laugh and everything else ...
as i am to her (i think) ... remember .. communication is the key..
talk .. everyday ..

Congratulations, mattmac! You are about to embark on the greatest and most rewarding adventure of your life.

My first marriage (10 years) didn't work out, but I got it right the second time. Buck and I have been together 32 years. We pretty much follow Goodweed's philosophy. Can't go wrong there.

Enjoy, forgive, talk, cry, play, work, and (yes) argue together. Work side-by-side. Not one behind the other. Build a good foundation with each other and you will have a strong "house" to raise your children in.

Always try to see some "fun" in your life no matter how good or bad things might be going.

Best wishes on a long, happy life together!!!!

Thank you, everyone, for your continued advice and well-wishes. 4 days, 6 hours, 51 minutes!!!

My fiancee's mother arrives tomorrow from Orlando to spend the next two days with us before we go down to my parents' home which is just down the road from the wedding location. We packed our luggage yesterday to get it out of the way, and also arranged for our guinea pigs to be taken care of. Just minor little details left and we're DONE!

Annnnd the good news is I'm practically done at work for the week. Today I'm going on a job walk, which is nothing but fun. Tomorrow I leave early to pick up the future M-I-L, and finally on Wednesday I do nothing but clean up a bit and help get things ready for a new guy that starts in a week. Woohoo!

Whenever the Wedding March is played I hear a Funeral Dirge. ... LOL Another one bites the dust ... L

Been married going on 16 years, or as I've been known to say, just over half way through my second eternity with her. At times I long for the relief that death will bring .... L

Man marries woman hoping she won't change, Woman marries man thinking she can change him, both get disappointed.

But seriously,

Going to bed mad at each other? Not a good thing but it's going to happen (hide the super glue). A kiss or even reaching out and touching helps. Not a good thing to be alone in bed together. ( I have seen where some people maintain a retreat bedroom so one of 'them' can sleep there if their PO'ed at each other. When are they going to grow up?)

While shared interests are important separate interests are just as important. Maybe more important. A sense of individuality and self identity must be maintained.

Keep the In Laws at bay. Yours AND hers.

Respect is more important than love and romance.

And so on ....

The Wizard of Oz Rule for Relationship Happiness:

If you can't find Happiness in your own back yard,
You are looking in the wrong place.

In other words, look to your SO or spouse, not elsewhere.

Made a world of difference in my life when I figured this out!

We had such a long engagement...LOL I was 15 and as he said I was "jail Bait" for a few years. then when we talked about Marriage the Korean war popped up. He said "get on with your life, I'm not coming back" They told him that the life span for a Corpsman (Medic) was 10 seconds after they hit the beach. He did make it home 14 months later. Then discussing it again and bingo! He was sent to Japan as a"Doc" to the Marines again. After another 14 months he came back home by way of San Francisco. His sister here in Sacramento picked him up on Nov. 19th 1954 and I rode the Grayhound bus all night and arrived the 20th (his birthday). After we arrived at his sisters home he said "Either we get married this time or I am going home on leave" Blood work was done on Monday..we were married on Tuesday PM. His sis had her Eagle eye on us at ALL times!! He slept on the floor with as he called his Brother-in Law "bony kneed- ed BIL" and I slept with his sister. But the joke was on them...LOL John was born 9 months 1 hour 21 minutes later..

This laster one month short of 52 years.

Whenever the Wedding March is played I hear a Funeral Dirge. ... LOL Another one bites the dust ... L

Been married going on 16 years, or as I've been known to say, just over half way through my second eternity with her. At times I long for the relief that death will bring .... L

Man marries woman hoping she won't change, Woman marries man thinking she can change him, both get disappointed.

But seriously,

Going to bed mad at each other? Not a good thing but it's going to happen (hide the super glue). A kiss or even reaching out and touching helps. Not a good thing to be alone in bed together. ( I have seen where some people maintain a retreat bedroom so one of 'them' can sleep there if their PO'ed at each other. When are they going to grow up?)

While shared interests are important separate interests are just as important. Maybe more important. A sense of individuality and self identity must be maintained.

Keep the In Laws at bay. Yours AND hers.

Respect is more important than love and romance.

And so on ....

Superglue??????????What's up with that?????

We had such a long engagement...LOL I was 15 and as he said I was "jail Bait" for a few years. then when we talked about Marriage the Korean war popped up. He said "get on with your life, I'm not coming back" They told him that the life span for a Corpsman (Medic) was 10 seconds after they hit the beach. He did make it home 14 months later. Then discussing it again and bingo! He was sent to Japan as a"Doc" to the Marines again. After another 14 months he came back home by way of San Francisco. His sister here in Sacramento picked him up on Nov. 19th 1954 and I rode the Grayhound bus all night and arrived the 20th (his birthday). After we arrived at his sisters home he said "Either we get married this time or I am going home on leave" Blood work was done on Monday..we were married on Tuesday PM. His sis had her Eagle eye on us at ALL times!! He slept on the floor with as he called his Brother-in Law "bony kneed- ed BIL" and I slept with his sister. But the joke was on them...LOL John was born 9 months 1 hour 21 minutes later..

Gosh, Dove, I was born exactly 9 months after my parents married, too, and my dad served in the Korean and Viet Nam war. He's gone like your hubby too and he was such a brave man. Your post brings tears......

What a romantic story, Marge! And 52 years!!! There aren't many marriages that make it to the half-century mark. I think you need to share some of your secrets to a long and happy marriage. (Besides the one that ends in a bigger family 9 months later!:brows:)

Just for you!!

Fred and Mary get married but couldn't afford a honeymoon,
so they go back to Fred's Mom and Dad's house for their first night together. In the morning, Johnny, Fred's little brother, gets up and has his breakfast. As he is going out of the door to go to school, he asks his mom if Fred and Mary are up yet. She replies, 'No'. Johnny asks, 'Do you know what I think?' ! His mom replies, 'I don't want to hear what you think! Just go to school.'

Johnny comes home for lunch and asks his mom,
'Are Fred and Mary up yet?'
She replies, 'No.'

Johnny says, 'Do you know what I think?'
His mom replies, 'Never mind what you think! Eat your lunch and go back to school .'

After school, Johnny comes home and asks again,
His mom says, 'No.'
He asks, 'Do you know what I think?' His mom replies, 'Ok, now tell me what you think?'

He says: 'Last night Fred came to my room for the Vaseline and I think...

I gave him my airplane glue.'
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Fred and Mary get married but couldn't afford a honeymoon,
so they go back to Fred's Mom and Dad's house for their first night together. In the morning, Johnny, Fred's little brother, gets up and has his breakfast. As he is going out of the door to go to school, he asks his mom if Fred and Mary are up yet. She replies, 'No'. Johnny asks, 'Do you know what I think?' ! His mom replies, 'I don't want to hear what you think! Just go to school.'

Johnny comes home for lunch and asks his mom,
She replies, 'No.'

Johnny says, 'Do you know what I think?'
His mom replies, 'Never mind what you think! Eat your lunch and go back to school .'

After school, Johnny comes home and asks again,
His mom says, 'No.'
He asks, 'Do you know what I think?' His mom replies, 'Ok, now tell me what you think?'

He says: 'Last night Fred came to my room for the Vaseline and I think...

I gave him my airplane glue.'
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

LOLOLOLOL AHAHA SWEET ACTION. now that is funny. you made me cuss at work. Thats gotta burn. Good thing i dont have any younger siblings.

Back
Top Bottom