"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #171
Master Chef

My husband often calls women "hon"...but it's not condescending, just sweet. He loves women. I use "Sweetie," "Honey", "Dear" and a lot of other endearments when talking to people. I'm old enough to do that.

Talking about lack of Christmas spirit, that's me. The almost 17 year old grandson we've raised since age 3 is now estranged from us, having fallen victom to methamphetamines. His birthday is on the 20th of December, but I doubt we'll be seeing him, since he stole and forged several of our checks. I haven't put the tree up...we usually bring in a big ficus from the greenhouse...and haven't ordered my poinsettias, because it's been too cold to deliver them. I'm in a "blue funk", and I just can't seem to snap out of it.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #172
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sounds like you have a good reason to be in a funk Constance.
Drug habits ...they sure ruin a lot of lives. I'm sorry that you're dealing with it. I hope that your grandson gets help and that you can all be a family again.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #173
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Connie, that is so sad... every kids and youngsters would get into some crazy things which is just natural, but certain things are just plain dangerous and harmful which would do them or anyone, anything no good... it is too often that they realise way too late that they have been hurting themselves more than anyone else. I really hope he will find some good help and guidance soon, which he so badly needs right now, and will come back to the right track... (((Hugs)))
Old 12-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #174
Master Chef

I'm sorry, Constance! Hopefully, your grandson will get the help he needs. Just know that he probably would never hurt you in anyway when he isn't messed up. Drugs do the worst to peoples minds and they just don't think what it does to their loved ones. Just try to remember that you sweet grandson is in there somewhere and will be back some day. {{{{hugs}}}}
Old 12-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #175
Executive Chef

Constance, I'm so sorry about this. I certainly hope help for him is eminent and things are better shortly. The song "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" always makes me teary eyed thinking that things aren't always right at Christmas, but there is hope that it will be better soon. Hope it is for you.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #176
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
It will get better, Constance. We went through it with my brother in the teenage years, and it was awful to see, and still heart-wrenching to look back on. I agree with texas, drugs are mind-altering, he has no idea how much he has hurt you or other loved ones. With help and support and love, he will get better and overcome. Today, my brother is the best son, brother, husband, and daddy to three beautiful children. Sometimes hitting rock bottom is the only way to see up, and the family's love will bring him back. Our prayers are with you.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #177
Master Chef

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. I can only pray that he finds his way.
After I posted here the other night, I gave myself a good talking to. I have a daughter with a precious little 7 year old boy and 2 fine step-sons to whom I am grandma, and 2 step children and their families who are like my own. Except for the son in Florida, they are all coming to my house for Christmas dinner, and I need to think about giving them a happy time.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #178
Executive Chef

We were doing quite well for this season and my grandaughter got served with papers to go to court next Tuesday 800 miles away. Her ex only wants their son when he is in school and she can't allow him to stay out of school to visit his dad then. Also ex is more than $10,000 in arrears in child support and she can't afford to take off time from work, get a new lawyer and pay expenses for the trip. He pays nothing, has no insurance and only calls him once in a great while. He works "under the table" so his wages can't be attached since he files no tax return, or has no SS or Wh deducted. I can't believe the court system allows crud of the earth to have such privileges and access to the court while paying nothing.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #179
Master Chef

That's horrible. She needs to keep the court appointment and show that she is with the law, and tell them about how he is. Tell her to go to her local welfare office and ask them to refer a lawyer to help her get the child support and other things that the child needs. Most of the time, they will jump to help.
I agree about the deadbeats! My sister had one of those. She finally got the last payment last week. What is sad, her kids are now 24 and 21!! It took that long to pay what he owed.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 PM   #180
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Licia.. I'm sorry! I understand how your niece feels... I've been there and well it just plain SUCKS! I'll send her some warm wishes and some happy thoughts.