"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #241
Executive Chef

YEEOUCH! I lopped the tip of my thumb off a few years ago when I was slicing a tomato. I didn't realize it until I felt that itchy-tingly sensation, looked down and saw blood dripping all over the cutting board. I wrapped my thumb in a wet paper towel, bandaged it and strangled it to death! After the bleeding stopped, everything was all good until I touched something. Nerve endings are apparently exposed at a severed fingertip and the pain even makes you're teeth hurt! Sheez! OUCH! Sorry, Mud!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 PM   #242
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
EWWWW! That is just unhappy! I feel for you jkath.
On a more positive note, at least the ant guy is easy on the eyes

Old 12-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #243
Hospitality Queen

oh Damp! I couldn't even read through the whole posting....shudder!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:38 PM   #244
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Sliced my finger doing potatoes with my Oxo peeler - right on the very tip, where it's hard to keep a bandaid on. I've got two on now and altho the dripping has stopped, I just know it'll turn into a gusher if I take them off.
Ouch!!

Been there, done that!! 5 stiches in a pinkie finger! Although the offending instrument was a chef's knife.

Hope you heal up soon!

Happy New Year!

John
Old 12-31-2005, 06:13 AM   #245
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
my house keeps being invaded by troops of stupid ants. Yes, I know ants are smart little things, but these beasties bypass the sugar and go straight for the bathrooms and closets!
Different types of ants go for different things. In the town I lived in before this one (but still in SC), they had what everyone called Sugar Ants. They were the tiniest little ants I have ever seen. In Vista (a couple hours south of you) we were plagued now and then with Argentine Ants. They are not sugar eaters, but they love anything with fat. They would go right for the loaf of bread (they got into the closed package) and dog and cat food. We get them here now and then too, but the ones I really hate are all over our front and back yard--Fire Ants. In case you are wondering why they are called Fire Ants, it isn't because they are red. Stand still too long in the wrong spot (they make visible mounds, but when you're talking to someone, you don't always think to look down), and your leg will feel like it is on fire. I've had it happen to me twice. Once was at a friend's house. I had to run into her bathroom, rip my clothes off, and wash the ants off in the tub. Then, a few months ago (they are active in the hot months), James, a friend of ours, and I had gone out for lunch. When she dropped us off, I stood next to the car chatting with her. They must have thought I was nuts because all of the sudden I just stopped talking mid-sentence and ran into the house as fast as I could (clothes, tub, etc.). Ouch! I did a research paper on ants in college--they are actually very fascinating creatures. I just don't want them anywhere near me!

Barbara
Old 12-31-2005, 02:15 PM   #246
Hospitality Queen

I think ours are more the "got nothin' to do, so I'll wander around the house" ants.
Actually, ant man says that before our house was sold, it looks like the other owners must've sprayed only the outside of the house, thus trapping the little suckers inside the walls. We get dozens of dead bodies in the bathrooms, because he's sprayed inside. They wander in, get sick and die all over the rugs. It's lovely to see first thing in the morning.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #247
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Neighbors! The ones behind me, need a lesson on the proper use of a car horn. They are for emergencies while driving, such as, stop yakking on your cell phone in the middle of the street or I will plow you over (I might go demonstrate the plowing over scenario for them), or, $%$^% hello, do you NOT notice the %&$%&^ backing lights?!?! However, they are not for summoning your drunken homies out of the house at 3 am so you can go imbibe every drop of alcohol you can between vomitings and getting $^&$-ed up! My gripe is, I am sleepy, because that happened like 4 times last night, one to the beat of 50 cent Candy Shop.

Then, I try to take a nap, and the neighbors on the other side, do not seem to know what inside voices are, because you can hear their voices from inside their house, outside, AND inside MY HOUSE! Yes, I am cranky!
Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #248
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for all the concern for my stupid little finger (it's the one that you use for "salutes"). No dripping/gushing today, thank goodness. Just a little sore, and nothing that won't heal soon.

shannon, I'm sorry about your neighbors. I hope these are the soon-to-be-former neighbors, and that your new house is surrounded by nice ones like ours is.

jkath - welcome back, sistah, and nuke those ants!
Old 12-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #249
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to 240brickman Send a message via Yahoo to 240brickman
actually, the Tomato-Slicing Incident reminds me of the time I cut my finger while I was slicing a bagel.

I was a teenager (this was a year or two or three before the Deli Slicer Affair), and therefore none too bright. I was also in a hurry to eat, so I held the bagel in my left hand, while slicing it with my right. What I didn't realize until just a LITTLE too late was that the tip of my left hand ring-finger was in the hole of the bagel. I sliced it (my finger that is) real good, right across the tip. I suspected it would need stitches, maybe two or three, but I was a bit too ashamed to tell my folks what I'd done! I simply used several ordinary Band-Aids, to kind of "butterfly" things together.

When Mom or Dad asked what I'd done to my finger, I just casually told them I'd nicked it while slicing a bagel (more-or-less true).

It healed up just fine, but to this day my fingerprint on that finger has a tiny little offset in it. The little ridges never aligned quite right.

--J

PS...ever since, bagels get sliced ON THE BOARD

http://show.imagehosting.us/show/103...75_1037746.jpg
Old 01-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #250
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug

jkath - welcome back, sistah, and nuke those ants!
Glad to be back! I've missed it here so much, and hated to be away.

Shannon, I wouldn't know fifty cent if it bit me in my tushie. You could always bake them some homemade brownies, being the nice lady neighbor. I won't tell them you've added ex-lax to the mix.

Closed Thread