"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #3451
Sous Chef
 
mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ashville, NY
Posts: 776
Send a message via AIM to mikki
I know this is my own fault, but I'm just ticked.I got a speeding ticket. Friday night I was on my way to my DD soccer game, a empty logging truck was in front of me. The posted speed is 55, anyway he was going 30 up hills and no faster then 40 anywhere else. In 2 passing zones when he was going 40 I went out to pass he sped up, I really think he was messing with me. Anyway his inconsistant speed started making me nervous so on the 3rd passing zone (again going no faster then 40) I started passing, I got about half way by him and he was speeding up agian, decided that I was getting around him and accelerated by him. I know I was speeding when I passed him, but I got right back to the speed limit when I got around him.
The police officer didn't pull me over until at least 2 miles later after I had made 2 turns. I tried to tell the officer that the trucks speed was fluctuating and made me nervous, but he just said I know they are a pain, and to pass him I was speeding.
My hubby is a truck driver so trucks don't make me nervous, but something in my gut told me to get around him. Maybe I won't listen to my gut anymore.
I'm guilty and know it, but it's just not what I needed.
__________________

__________________
mikki is offline  
Old 09-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #3452
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Ouch Mikki!! I hate that. Sometimes, the ticket is worth it though, to keep yourself safe. Never know what can happen with those big trucks!!
__________________

__________________
texasgirl is offline  
Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #3453
Sous Chef
 
mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ashville, NY
Posts: 776
Send a message via AIM to mikki
OK just as I finished that last post hubby came in and said he fixed the washing machine. This would be a great thing had he not refused to pay to have someone look at it and tell him it was junk, then spent $600 to get a new one. He never listens to me. One of these days I swear I'm going to beat him.
__________________
mikki is offline  
Old 09-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #3454
Sous Chef
 
mikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ashville, NY
Posts: 776
Send a message via AIM to mikki
TG that's why I was trying to get around him. His driving was making me nervous.
__________________
mikki is offline  
Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #3455
Master Chef
 
texasgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 9,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki
OK just as I finished that last post hubby came in and said he fixed the washing machine. This would be a great thing had he not refused to pay to have someone look at it and tell him it was junk, then spent $600 to get a new one. He never listens to me. One of these days I swear I'm going to beat him.
Hey, are you married to mine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
TG that's why I was trying to get around him. His driving was making me nervous.
I know and I would have done the same.
__________________
texasgirl is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:08 AM   #3456
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Thank you all for understanding. The mouse is still there somewhere. Hubby set a trap and guess what? My aging doggie set it off. He swore a lot and re-set it. (He loves our doggie, too; for those who may know us, she's a real oldie). I did see some harvesting going on and so, I guess it is time. We had a very hard winter here, so I was hoping for better this year. At least another month before the mice moved in!
__________________
Claire is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #3457
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Oh, by the way, if I only did one thing right in my life, I told my husband when me married, "He who is doing the job is doing it right." In other words, no critism allowed of the person who is working their tail off. No one is allowed to do that, period. You want to do the job, get off your patootie and do it, otherwise, hush up. We've been married for 25 plus years now. It is one rule we both insist on. Don't tell me how to scrub the floor or do the laundry, or guess what? It's your job from now on.
__________________
Claire is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #3458
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
I know this is my own fault, but I'm just ticked.I got a speeding ticket. Friday night I was on my way to my DD soccer game, a empty logging truck was in front of me. The posted speed is 55, anyway he was going 30 up hills and no faster then 40 anywhere else. In 2 passing zones when he was going 40 I went out to pass he sped up, I really think he was messing with me. Anyway his inconsistant speed started making me nervous so on the 3rd passing zone (again going no faster then 40) I started passing, I got about half way by him and he was speeding up agian, decided that I was getting around him and accelerated by him. I know I was speeding when I passed him, but I got right back to the speed limit when I got around him.
The police officer didn't pull me over until at least 2 miles later after I had made 2 turns. I tried to tell the officer that the trucks speed was fluctuating and made me nervous, but he just said I know they are a pain, and to pass him I was speeding.
My hubby is a truck driver so trucks don't make me nervous, but something in my gut told me to get around him. Maybe I won't listen to my gut anymore.
I'm guilty and know it, but it's just not what I needed.
that happens to me so often where I notice the guy is trying to play games of some kind. How dangerous and stupid. Must be bored with his job. I am sure they get overworked plenty but why do they forget how things can happen so fast. Truck here in St Louis ran into long line of stopped cars because he was just sick and tired of all the traffic. What a mess. Seemed like it was some kind of movie the way t he cars were scattered all over. His mind must have snapped. Wonder if that trucker got a ticket?

mikki your post scared me too. One thing we don't know what he was thinking. Maybe mad about his job or his wife, who knows?

doesn't it make you mad to have to get out on the road?
__________________
In the Kitchen is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #3459
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Thank you all for understanding. The mouse is still there somewhere. Hubby set a trap and guess what? My aging doggie set it off. He swore a lot and re-set it. (He loves our doggie, too; for those who may know us, she's a real oldie). I did see some harvesting going on and so, I guess it is time. We had a very hard winter here, so I was hoping for better this year. At least another month before the mice moved in!
Claire, I totally DO understand about the mouse. There are few things in live that really scare me but rodents of any type just send me through the roof! When we lived in our little old bungalow which we were trying to fix up, we got a huge infestation of mice AND rats. They were everywhere. We did everything we could to get rid of them and finally had to get the professionals in. I lived in total fear through that winter that I would run into a live or dead one and we had to be so careful that our puppy didn't find the traps before the critters did.

I will certainly pray that this one is caught quickly without further incident and that he hasn't sent invitations to his family and friends yet to check out his new digs.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #3460
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Hey, are you married to mine??


I know and I would have done the same.
I usually just pull over , slow down and let a few cars take my place behind anyone who drives like that..No letting someone toy with me, it makes me very angry....I know we all want to get home and you will, maybe 10 later but what is so important you insist on risking you neck? And I'm still known around here as Lead foot

kadesma
__________________

__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.