Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jake shouted at least twice that he's tired of my 'uppity attitude'.
i 'twas like, 'um, well without your sort to contend with, maybe i'd be more kind, jake.'
he'll see dinner 'bout a month after today.
i'm also a snotty :censored:, via jake's opinion..
sigh.
'goin out to avoid him.
if somewhere's open.
guy ought not get loud with me.
oughta curb his loudness.

Last edited:
luvs, from my personal experience, the only way to change someone else's behavior, is to change your own behavior. And this is a hugh life lesson to learn, takes much work to learn it.

We had a chimney fire last night. Frightened the neighbours in the flat at the top of the building, as you can imagine. We noticed it as soon as it started and had a fire extinguisher on it straight away and closed the chimney off at the bottom. No damage done and no injuries. But a bad shock, wounded egos and an argument because we were both so scared by it. We hardly ever row. Lived together for 25 years and I reckon you could count the serious arguments on one hand. Not nice.

Luvs, guys can be jerks sometimes, but then, we can be the same and not even think about it. I like what Bethzaring said.

Snoop, I'm glad that it went in a good way. It could have been so bad. Stress will make the calmest person react.

Uppity attitudes rule. My husband came home Friday to find me having a stiff drink because I went toe-to-toe with a local developer who is building in our neighborhood without a permit. This was funny, because I almost never get that kind of angry. But I did, and I did make him stop for about a half hour. Then he started doing illegal construction (actually excavation) yet again. Everyone in the neighborhood called city hall, but the city engineer is new to the job and simply believed this guy when he said he had permits to do it. So hubby called the mayor, who came out and stopped the guy. But I really, really was proud of myself for this. But then, d'ya know what happened? We went to take showers before going out, just to find that a water main broke and we had no water. Some days you just cannot win.

Lucilla, Cris's 11 year old daughter who struggles with a serious weight issue went through another session of testing a week ago. The new possibility is that she may have a problem digesting certain type of carbohydrates, and we need to start on her a new trial diet, without processed white flour and sugar. Also she was ordered to do a certain amount of daily exercise, very light, just walking on a treadmill to begin with.

The mother asked Cris to look for a treadmill, so we did, now she complains they cost too much. We suggested then maybe she can attend a gym. There they have treadmills, people who knows what they are doing to watch her, also if she gets into a better shape she can try other type of exercises, too. But as usual the mother comes up with all sorts of excuses "I don't have the time to take her there" "I don't trust people there" "what if she doesn't like the gym" etc. etc.... The problem is that basically Silvia (the mother/cris's ex) considers any kind of physical activity, be it fitness or sport, a meaningless total waste of time, and if Lucilla needs to do it, she tries to find a cheapest, least time/effort consuming way rather than a quality, or a facter that whether she will enjoy the activity. Just the same as the whole problem of Lucilla's overweight issue, to Silvia, it is just an esthetic matter, not about her health.

I try to keep my mouth shut considering my position, but I am afraid I will come up with some dangerous score if I take that "Anger Management Quiz" while thinking about the way Silvia deals with the problem of her children (also the way she treats Cris as well)....:censored:

Poor Lucilla. She is lucky her father has a partner who cares so much too. Is there any chance Cris can use it as a visitation thing and she could go with you and him? That way he could cite it as a bonding activity....maybe Lucilla's enthusiasm could thus be harnessed and encourage her mother to view the whole thing more positively?

Can Lucilla not just walk around the neighbourhood for 15 minutes or so? Is that not a safe option? She is 11 right? Here we have flyers that need to go out to each mailbox a few times a week and most of the delivery people for that are kids too young to get other jobs. Do you have that there? It would get her walking and she could EARN money instead of spending it. That might be a good incentive to keep her at it. She might need supervision though. Would Mom do that?

Grazie mille, Lulu!! Yeah we suggested number of times, that we could take care of her fitness, if Cris doesn't have the time I can go with her, or even I can give her some lessons as well. (I have worked as a fitness trainer for 2 1/2 years at a Nautilus centre, I have been into fitness for most of my life so I have more than a good idea what needs to be done.) We even suggested that maybe during a break of school she can come stay with us along with her little brother (they are almost inseparable) and do a makeover of their life style, including physical activity and eating habit.

Silvia doesn't like this idea, first she opposed using her usual series of excuses, lately she changed the tactics and started telling us that LUCILLA really doesn't like this idea but she is too polite to say no to her father. And when we ask Lucilla about it, she really doesn't want to answer clearly. Understandably the children are by now heavily influenced by their mother, having lived only with her for the last 5 years, also, I have seen in Lucilla, she is extremely dutiful, if her mother tells her certain things, she obeys it even if the mother is not around. But I also have seen how much she is attached to Cris, she loves every minute she can spend with him and gets very sad when he has to go. Thus we find what Silvia says highly unbelievable. It is another thing that angers me, that she tries to manipulate the children like this. And so sad that she can't really perceive what is truly important to her own children.:huh: :(

Alix said:
Can Lucilla not just walk around the neighbourhood for 15 minutes or so? Is that not a safe option? She is 11 right? Here we have flyers that need to go out to each mailbox a few times a week and most of the delivery people for that are kids too young to get other jobs. Do you have that there? It would get her walking and she could EARN money instead of spending it. That might be a good incentive to keep her at it. She might need supervision though. Would Mom do that?

Alix, that maybe a great idea. I am sure there must be some oddjobs like that, the area she lives is full of huge appartment complexes, and every mailbox gets stuffed with all sorts of adverts and flyers. Also she has some friends in the neighbourhood (they are also rather chubby who could use a little exercise) so if they could cruise around the neighbourhood together, and make a few € at the same time, they may well like the idea. Also then, the mothers can take turns accompanying them, too. I will check into that. Thanks for the idea!!

My pleasure! I'm glad it was helpful. I'm of the opinion if you can go outside its much better for you. Treadmills are boring! Good luck to you and to Lucilla.

Alix said:
My pleasure! I'm glad it was helpful. I'm of the opinion if you can go outside its much better for you. Treadmills are boring! Good luck to you and to Lucilla.

Thanks Alix!! I am with you about treadmill... I always thought if people wanted to walk or run why they don't just go outside? Of course, in your case it would be justified using the treadmill, considering the balmy climate of Alberta during the winter!!:-p

Yep, a treadmill is pretty important here sometimes! (Ours is currently in need of repair!) We still go outside lots though, even with the weather. Of course, not so much to walk but more to toboggan or skate. (I'm still feeling my last toboggan injury.)

Claire said:
Uppity attitudes rule.quote]
ummm, not quite correliating businness-owners who lack proper management skills & what defines an uppity person? slightly confused.

Last edited:
I think that there is still somewhat of a disparity in the perception of men and women, at least in my generation. There still seems to be an attitude that a woman is being a witch (OK, you know what I mean) when she stands on her own two feet, while a man is just doing what he needs to do to get the job done. I happened to live much of my life in a man's world; what I mean by uppity is just standing up for myself and my family. I have to laugh; an acquaintance said he's never seen me so angry as I was on Friday. And I only raised my voice enough to be heard over the backhoe on one end of the street and the equipment being used on the other. I do have the advantage of being quite tall, and it does help. No one every has called me a "little lady".

My vent today has to do with phone messages. People will leave a lengthy message and then a phone number to call them back at. The problem is they say the number so fast you need to go back and replay the message 3 or 4 times to finally get it. Slow down and give the person a chance to actually write it down.

JDP

JDP, I am with you on that one. I absolutelly hate that. Don't people know what they are doing. I just hate that. Some times I would call back people like that at some odd time to make sure nobody there. And leave extra long message telling them also that my phone changed and that they should not call the old number, and here is my new number and just say the new number so fast that I even cannot understand my self.

Normaly, when I leave a phone number I slow down and repeat it twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom