"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #431
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK, need to vent. Bustling around the kitchen, getting supper on. Got it on the stove and turned down to simmer. So, ran down to shuffle laundry from washer to dryer, fold another load, sign on to see whats up here. Just as I sign on I notice a nasty smell, sort of like burnt food. EEK! Dash upstairs to find supper has merrily bubbled over and filled the burner dish and is splooshed all over the stovetop that I just cleaned. YARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! Fortunately, nothing IN the pot is burnt so I move it to a new element, and clean the stovetop. The burner bib will have to wait til its cooled off. What a nasty mess. BAH! Stupid thing. Simmer my A--!!
splooshed - one of those Canadian words, eh?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 08-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #432
Everymom

Sure is...right along with^%$&^$^%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #433
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep, Alix, I said that several times today myself ratsa fratsa

kadesma
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #434
Everymom

LOL! I'm feeling better now. Cleaned up the mess, ate supper and had a glass of wine. Amazing how that makes everything all better.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #435
Head Chef

This is an amazing thread. I didn't see it before. Now I am going to add to it.

My husband's new firm has been great, including getting us the corporate let we are in for the month to give us time to find somewhere of our own. BUT we have to be out by the 1st of September, and although Milan is starting to wake up most agents won't show us apartments until after 4th Sept. So I am trying to look for priate lets in a city I don't know (who knows where the areas to avoid in a new city are?) ina language I barely speak. Plus, I have had to give up my job to come here, so we have taken a huge pay loss, my Italian is no way near good enough to work here, AND the real reason I am angry was because things got so bad with my in laws we left the country to avoid them, and I feel (I know unfairly - this was our choice) that if it weren't for them we would not be in this situation.

Argh. I'm sorry I yelled towards the end there. I am sure we will find some thing soon. Apartments seem to be smaller here than I am used to in London,plus the pay drop means a bit of hard decision making. I am just concerned we find somewhere safe and ok for our cats (I have cats instead of kids at the moment) and us to live. And that I find something sensible to do.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #436
Executive Chef

Alix, it could be worse. One of the burners on my stove has this habit of NOT coming down from high heat when you turn the knob to Low. So, whenever I use that burner, I have to turn the knob off, move the pan to an empty burner, than turn off the lights and wait a second to see if the burner is indeed cooling off. Freaking old stove.........
Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #437
Everymom

Allen, I think that might be what mine is beginning to do. Phooey! I felt better after venting here though.

Lulu, I wish I could help with the places to avoid in Milan. I sympathize with your plight though. They say that moving is the most stressful thing you can do outside of losing a loved one somehow. Hang in there, we're with you all the way.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #438
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
This is an amazing thread. I didn't see it before. Now I am going to add to it.

My husband's new firm has been great, including getting us the corporate let we are in for the month to give us time to find somewhere of our own. BUT we have to be out by the 1st of September, and although Milan is starting to wake up most agents won't show us apartments until after 4th Sept. So I am trying to look for priate lets in a city I don't know (who knows where the areas to avoid in a new city are?) ina language I barely speak. Plus, I have had to give up my job to come here, so we have taken a huge pay loss, my Italian is no way near good enough to work here, AND the real reason I am angry was because things got so bad with my in laws we left the country to avoid them, and I feel (I know unfairly - this was our choice) that if it weren't for them we would not be in this situation.

Argh. I'm sorry I yelled towards the end there. I am sure we will find some thing soon. Apartments seem to be smaller here than I am used to in London,plus the pay drop means a bit of hard decision making. I am just concerned we find somewhere safe and ok for our cats (I have cats instead of kids at the moment) and us to live. And that I find something sensible to do.
DEEP BREATH, Lulu. It will all work out, but moving is always a stressful time. Money may be tight for a while, but living in Italy will give you SO many wonderful things to experience.... (even if you DO have to do them on the cheap!)

Parents-in-law... BAH HUMBUG - bin there, dun that
Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #439
Head Chef

You want to know whats even worse....my in laws live most of the time in NY. It was the weeks of them in the summer, at christmas, at easter and in the fall I could not take....we moved to another country from another country from them!they have NO reason to come to Milan though....lol
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #440
Executive Chef

What about the Opera, Fashion Week etc? You just WAIT...