"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #861
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm sorry Cora.... will the class be rescheduled?

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #862
Executive Chef
It's a weekly class but we were supposed to have a guest teacher from Seattle tonight. They probably won't reschedule him to teach. Oh well, thanks pds.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 AM   #863
Master Chef
jake shouted at least twice that he's tired of my 'uppity attitude'.
i 'twas like, 'um, well without your sort to contend with, maybe i'd be more kind, jake.'
he'll see dinner 'bout a month after today.
i'm also a snotty , via jake's opinion..
'goin out to avoid him.
if somewhere's open.
guy ought not get loud with me.
oughta curb his loudness.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
Old 01-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #864
Executive Chef
luvs, from my personal experience, the only way to change someone else's behavior, is to change your own behavior. And this is a hugh life lesson to learn, takes much work to learn it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 01-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #865
Head Chef
We had a chimney fire last night. Frightened the neighbours in the flat at the top of the building, as you can imagine. We noticed it as soon as it started and had a fire extinguisher on it straight away and closed the chimney off at the bottom. No damage done and no injuries. But a bad shock, wounded egos and an argument because we were both so scared by it. We hardly ever row. Lived together for 25 years and I reckon you could count the serious arguments on one hand. Not nice.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #866
Master Chef
Luvs, guys can be jerks sometimes, but then, we can be the same and not even think about it. I like what Bethzaring said.

Snoop, I'm glad that it went in a good way. It could have been so bad. Stress will make the calmest person react.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #867
Master Chef
Uppity attitudes rule. My husband came home Friday to find me having a stiff drink because I went toe-to-toe with a local developer who is building in our neighborhood without a permit. This was funny, because I almost never get that kind of angry. But I did, and I did make him stop for about a half hour. Then he started doing illegal construction (actually excavation) yet again. Everyone in the neighborhood called city hall, but the city engineer is new to the job and simply believed this guy when he said he had permits to do it. So hubby called the mayor, who came out and stopped the guy. But I really, really was proud of myself for this. But then, d'ya know what happened? We went to take showers before going out, just to find that a water main broke and we had no water. Some days you just cannot win.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #868
Master Chef
Good for you Claire!!
Too bad about the water though. Probably the same guy too that made it happen.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #869
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Lucilla, Cris's 11 year old daughter who struggles with a serious weight issue went through another session of testing a week ago. The new possibility is that she may have a problem digesting certain type of carbohydrates, and we need to start on her a new trial diet, without processed white flour and sugar. Also she was ordered to do a certain amount of daily exercise, very light, just walking on a treadmill to begin with.

The mother asked Cris to look for a treadmill, so we did, now she complains they cost too much. We suggested then maybe she can attend a gym. There they have treadmills, people who knows what they are doing to watch her, also if she gets into a better shape she can try other type of exercises, too. But as usual the mother comes up with all sorts of excuses "I don't have the time to take her there" "I don't trust people there" "what if she doesn't like the gym" etc. etc.... The problem is that basically Silvia (the mother/cris's ex) considers any kind of physical activity, be it fitness or sport, a meaningless total waste of time, and if Lucilla needs to do it, she tries to find a cheapest, least time/effort consuming way rather than a quality, or a facter that whether she will enjoy the activity. Just the same as the whole problem of Lucilla's overweight issue, to Silvia, it is just an esthetic matter, not about her health.

I try to keep my mouth shut considering my position, but I am afraid I will come up with some dangerous score if I take that "Anger Management Quiz" while thinking about the way Silvia deals with the problem of her children (also the way she treats Cris as well)....
Old 01-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #870
Head Chef
Poor Lucilla. She is lucky her father has a partner who cares so much too. Is there any chance Cris can use it as a visitation thing and she could go with you and him? That way he could cite it as a bonding activity....maybe Lucilla's enthusiasm could thus be harnessed and encourage her mother to view the whole thing more positively?

In omnibus amor et iustum
Closed Thread