"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Our Deli Guy Died

Apologies if the title is morbid, but it was such a shock. Every week, twice a week, I go to Walmart and get this "velvet red potato salad." Every night this nice young gentleman has been there to serve me. Today I went in and there were roses on the counter and pictures that said "We'll miss you" and I just stood looking at it. When the new young man waited on me I asked, "is that the nice guy..." and he said yes. This nice young man wasn't even 30 and he died of a seizure two days ago.

So here's my thought for today ~ don't disregard that worker that makes sure your potato salad contain is full or the guy that wraps your meat or the checker you see so often. You never know when you might walk in and find that a young man has left this world unexpectedly. He didn't even die of an accident, his own body turned on him. So smile at your deli guy, your butcher, your checker, and pray for this man's family tonight. Please.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Cook

that kind of thinking is always at the back of my mind. sorry to hear about your loss. prayers on the way.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

How sad. And what a good reminder to always be considerate of others. We never know what they are going through or what their futures may hold.

Barbara
Old 08-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
How sad. And what a good reminder to always be considerate of others. We never know what they are going through or what their futures may hold.

Barbara
Exactly Barbara. Who would have thought this young man, so young, that actually inspired me to create a food myself, would be gone the next time I went to the deli counter. My last words were "dam...not your fault" but it really makes you think. I smiled after my statement and he knew I didn't blame him, but it's definitely a lesson in how to treat people, at least for me.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Head Chef

What a lesson. I'm so sorry to hear about this young man with so much promise left. Thanks for sharing it with all of us and giving us something to think about.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Head Chef

There is a old saying in the restaurant trade and it goes like this
"" Be nice to the dish washer you never know when you might have to kiss his back side on the way out the door"". My mentor was a gentilmans gentilman in ten years of working with him I never heard him swear or berate any body. He sit the tone for my life in the kitchen. And oh how it works I could git more work out of my crew than any body else. It allways pays to be nice, complementry, and smile
Old 08-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm sorry Callisto!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Oh how sad...I'd like to believe he was needed much more somewhere else and that is why he was called away so early.
Calisto, you words I hope inspired many. Thank you for sharing....sometimes you need to hear and share something sad in order to open eyes and hearts!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
Head Chef

So sorry to hear that Callisto. I'll keep that family in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Please accept my deepest sympathy. There are times when people whose name we don't even know seem to become so important in our lives. This was one of those special people! When this happens in my small world, I recall that there is statement about angels being among us. This may have been such a representative to you. He gave you a feeling of being important and treated you as such. This loss I am sure has happened to many others. We always miss the kind ones.

May his memory have a lasting impression on you when you continue to shop at this store. Life is fragile, handle with prayer is sign posted in my kitchen. Reminder of time I have now.

Thanks for sharing.