"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Outback Steakhouse Unleashes the new 3-point Bloomin' Onion!!!

Outback’s new 3-point Bloomin’ Onion looks obnoxiously delicious | For The Win

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
...Outback’s new 3-point Bloomin’ Onion looks obnoxiously delicious
I think they definitely hit the nail on the head with the obnoxious part. Hopefully there's a small army around to feed.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
Master Chef

Now, if only they could learn how to cook a steak.

CD
Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I think they definitely hit the nail on the head with the obnoxious part. Hopefully there's a small army around to feed.
I say just ad a side dish of Vegetables along with a drink and make it a complete meal
Old 03-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Master Chef

They closed all Outback Steakhouse restaurants in Ontario a while back.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
They closed all Outback Steakhouse restaurants in Ontario a while back.
What, you don't like shoe leather up there?

CD
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I like outback. I've never had a steak there. I like the shrimp. Its hard to go out to eat steak when I have the the best steaks in the world in my freezer.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I never saw anything wrong with Outback steaks. Nothing that exciting either, just okay. I always did like the lamb. They had rack of lamb originally, then changed it to lamb chops, then last I knew they were back to a rack. It was the same amount of meat either way, and they did seem to know what medium rare means.

I haven't been in a Outback for a few years. We have the luxury of a good steakhouse that nobody ever heard of just 4 blocks down the street. Bully's Pub and Grub makes a better steak, and they don't do anything to it but salt, pepper and grill it to perfection.

As far as the Bloomin Onion, the original one is more than we could usually eat unless we had a good sized crowd, so that new one is just overkill. Too many add ons.

I'm not really a fan of taking something that is okay as it is, then adding a bunch of stuff to make it "better". My favorite form of nachos is just cheese sauce and pickled hot jalapeños over white or yellow corn tortilla chips, like the ones I get at a ball game. All of the stuff they pile on a plate of nachos in a restaurant these days just makes them harder to eat, in my humble opinion.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Cook

In our area, Outback does a better job of preparing steaks than most of the chain restaurants. (And better than many privately owned restaurants).
When you consider how large the earth is, and how the earth is just a speck compared to the sun, and the sun is just a speck in the universe, you realize there is no reason not to eat a whole chocolate cake.
ixamnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #10
Master Chef

"Outback" is a perfect name, that is where our trash can lives until pickup day. Have you ever had a dish with so much garlic, just smelling it makes you gag?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
"Outback" is a perfect name, that is where our trash can lives until pickup day. Have you ever had a dish with so much garlic, just smelling it makes you gag?
Nope. But then I like garlic.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Nope. But then I like garlic.
We love garlic too, but when you can't taste the shrimp in the scampi for the garlic, that is way too much. Especially if it gives you a burning sensation, like most of it was raw.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
We love garlic too, but when you can't taste the shrimp in the scampi for the garlic, that is way too much. Especially if it gives you a burning sensation, like most of it was raw.
I've never had that problem there, but I don't go to Outback for seafood. In the past I've had various steaks, prime rib, lamp chops, rack of lamb, and pork chops. Actually I don't really go there at all any more, but for different reasons from yours.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I've never had that problem there, but I don't go to Outback for seafood. In the past I've had various steaks, prime rib, lamp chops, rack of lamb, and pork chops. Actually I don't really go there at all any more, but for different reasons from yours.
Same here. One thing I learned from my mom is to order the kind of food a restaurant is known for. Haven't been there in quite a while, but I remember the portobello stack with some kind of steak and a red wine sauce was pretty good.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

We have friends that just absolutely love Outback. They drag us out on special occasions with them, like birthdays and such.
I'm not above enjoying a bite or three of a decadent food most of the time, and while I love both onions and steak, they do both poorly imo.

While I love salty food but need to eat less for my family's blood pressure curse, a steak at Outback is a joke with salt and spices. Like Craig mentioned about the raw garlic, they over season the hell out of everything they do.
Watch their TV commercials closely. They show a steak, already cooked for the most part, bouncing on a griddle while more seasoning is thrown on it.

Our friend just loves the blooming onion, often saying he can eat one on his own, plus sauces. That's a few thousand calories by itself.

I hope he can survive a 3 point bypass.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

My hips would really "bloom" if I ate that!

Quote:
Have you ever had a dish with so much garlic, just smelling it makes you gag?
Two words, twice: Macaroni Grill. Capellini Pomodoro. So much garlic I thought I was brushing my teeth with garlic toothpaste the next morning!

Back in our Ohio days, Himself did a lot of travelling. He had great meals at the Macaroni Grill near the greater Detroit area. We went to two different greater Cleveland locations. Both were garbage.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
My hips would really "bloom" if I ate that!

Two words, twice: Macaroni Grill. Capellini Pomodoro. So much garlic I thought I was brushing my teeth with garlic toothpaste the next morning!

Back in our Ohio days, Himself did a lot of travelling. He had great meals at the Macaroni Grill near the greater Detroit area. We went to two different greater Cleveland locations. Both were garbage.
What is the rule about clams that don't open when cooked? Karen order a dish with clams at Craparoni Grill the very last time we went there. It was brought to the table with several unopened little necks. She sent it back. When the dish was returned to the table, all the clams were open and pieces of shell from their forcing them open were in the dish as well.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

That happened to us in a seafood restaurant in the Poconos a few years ago. We ordered a bucket of steamed littlenecks as an appetizer, and when they brought out this large aluminum pot, I removed the lid and it stank of bad clams. I quickly spooned through them and found several on the bottom were unopened.

10 minutes later, when the waitress came back, we complained about it having not eaten any of them. She asked if we'd like to have the kitchen open them for us. We refused, and the waitress suddenly caught an attitude and practically threw our entrees at us.

I told the manager on the way out about how it wasn't just low quality but actually dangerous to allow things like that to be served, and also about the waitress. He just shrugged his shoulders and said that the waitress normally works at their nearby steakhouse, not this seafood joint, so she didn't know.

Nice excuse. We've never gone back. It's a shame because that was our go to restaurant several times a year after a day of skiing at nearby Camelback mountain, or shopping at The Crossings outlet mall in the summer.

This is the place to avoid: Great seafood and steaks in Tannersville, PA. | Smugglers Cove
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #19
Head Chef

I would hate to see the nutritional information on this dish - the carbs would probably be outrageous.

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onion, steak