Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I know it's here somewhere, but I want to give a big thank-you to all who helped me with my rescue doggie. Because I write a column for our local rag, she is a bit of a star. But I was so, so very close to giving her up, and with everyone's help here, some dog trainers who read my column about her, we're now celebrating her first anniversary as our much beloved doggie.

One thing that made us know that she was ours is that she was totally crate trained. When all the humans in the world aggravate her, she just walks over and curls up on her blankie (I might add, a hand-crochetted small afghan) in her crate and lies down for a nap, or just to watch the world walk by. We just call it her bedroom.

She's not quite two years old, by vet's guess-ti-mets. She's beefed up some (was scrawny when we got her, now may need to go on low-cal diet)(we already have her on low-cal treats).

She did jump up on me yesterday and nipped my chin. It was a big no-no, and she knew it.

As I've said before, I could not have done it if I'd had toddlers or elders living here. But right now she is 25 pounds of joy.

Claire--Congrats on believing in Rosie--I know it was a frustrating and hard year. When I was heavily involved with dog rescue, still am, but not like I was, I likened adopting a rescued dog to taking on a long-term project--very few were plug-and-go dogs. I got an email a couple of weeks of ago from a woman who adopted a very shy goldenX from us 13 or so years ago--he was a challenge. She hunted me down on the Internet--I was surprised to hear from her (and thrilled--one of my first road trips once the title and insurance are good for the Volvo is to go see him)--it had been awhile (I think the last time was about 8 years ago when he jumped the fence and I arranged a search party to hunt for him. We required the adopter to stay in touch for the first 3 years, but after that, it was up to the adopter). Fast forward, he's almost 15 years old, has grown up with their two daughters, they claim he has been the best dog ever. I saw his potential when I evaluated him at the shelter, on the euthanasia list...but more importantly, I saw the potential of the family that gave him a place to hang his leash and call home. He landed in the right place. I have a sneaky feeling Rosie landed in the right place too.

Last edited:
She accidentally got out of the yard for the first time yesterday (she's been out of her fenced-in yard, but only with a leash). She was chasing a squirrel or feral cat. It didn't take long for us to notice she was out (she's really more an inside dog). I don't think she was out more than ten minutes. My main concern was that our neighbors have a new rescue dog we hadn't met yet so aren't sure what to expect. She came back as soon as she was called. Later we met the new doggie next door (some sort of German shepherd mix) and they just sniffed at each other through the fence, just a getting-to-know-you thing, so I doubt that'll be a problem. Their last dog was an overweight, geriatric beagle and all of my dogs and she would just ignore each other.

Has anyone ever done the doggie DNA thing? I've seen it advertised. I won't do it, got a log better things to do with $100, but am curious. People often ask me what breed she is, and the best answer we can come up with is "Heinz 57". We wanted to get some idea because the county has her down as an Italian Greyhound and there is absolutely no way (probably was near starved when the humane society picked her up as a pup). She's engendered some lively discussions as to what breeds are in there.

Claire,

Lovely story ... thanks for posting. Do you have a photo ? Is she a part whippet ? they sort of resemble greyhounds ...

Pleased to read about the rescue ...

Kindest.
Margi

No, I don't think she has any whippet/greyhound in her, she isn't delicate enough. I suspect the resemblance ended when she started getting regular food. She kind of looks like, in markings, a German shorthair pointer, the one that's on the front page of most computer sites for that breed, reddish ears and lots of red freckles. but at last weigh in she was 22 lbs, and I think she's topped out at as a wild guess, 24 give or take. Too small for a pointer. But she was so fearful when young that her ears were "fly aways" rather than the forward they are now, which eliminates her resemblance to the greyhound family.

Pleased to hear from you Claire

Good Evening.

I have had kit kats over the years, and so I understand totally how hard it is when they are ill, in an accident, lost and / or pass on ...

The Gent is a VET, in a government job, trilingual, Italian, English and Spanish -- though in Spain he is predominately working with donkies, horses, sheep and there are calls for dairy cows and suckling porkers and sheep --- The stories are unbelievable ...

Have nice evening and pleased all is well --- She sounds lovely, pointer type ... nice breed.

Margi. ( do post a foto when u have one )

Last edited:
my daughter got a great dane puppy about a month ago.she is nala from lion king, i think. saw a picture of her on line yesterday. she is going to be a big dog. she rides in the pickup back seat like a lady. already obeys many commands. she is in love with my daughter, deborah takes her to work with her . she has a dog grooming spa. and the puppy is happy there. she lives on ten acres so dog has a lot of space, she is going to need it.

We got a therapy dog at work!!!!!! He belongs to one of the therapy aides and his name is Rambo. She brought him in to meet folks today.

Attachments

• someone elses wiener.jpg
    someone elses wiener.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 140
PrincessFiona60 said:
We got a therapy dog at work!!!!!! He belongs to one of the therapy aides and his name is Rambo. She brought him in to meet folks today.

Ohhh, sweetness! What does Patron think of him?

Back
Top Bottom