"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Master Chef

Pets - venting

Haven't brought this one up in awhile. I was looking at my aging JR and realized ... she's deaf. Went and grabbed a whistle and hubby and I tested her. She never was the brightest bulb on the tree, we put her mom down a couple of months ago, and she's losing her house training. Her mom was given a couple of months to live, and lasted 19 months after that, and we lived with her kidney disease. Now Keiki is senile and could live for years. She's been a wonderful companion and we'll provide a good home for her until she is in some kind of pain. I swore I'd never live with a pet that wasn't house-trained, and here I am, mopping and scooping. Oh, well, at least I only feed her dry dog food so it's easy to scoop.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Oh Claire, it is so hard for us softies. I really feel for you.

When I was taking care of Skeeter (the 16 yo dog that we just had to put down), it could get very challenging. Skeeter was deaf and almost blind. He'd go stand in front of a wall...just staring. I'd carry him upstairs and downstairs, to his water bowl and food dish and outside to 'go'. I kept him until he couldn't stand up anymore. I know exactly what you are going through. I kept him a month longer (at least) than I should have.

I'm hoping Karma kicks in and my family takes the same wonderful care of me that I gave to Skeeter. Somehow I doubt it.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Master Chef

Clare - you have absolutely no idea how I can relate to what you're going through, many many times over.

I currently have 4 large dogs (all adopted), 3 of which are in their teens & going through various degrees of decline. The Husky & Doberman in particular have incontinence problems (& sometimes "the other"), & before we had them we had 2 Dobermans who were the same way for several years before their passing.

Is it enjoyable? Of course not. But we do what we have to do. I love them all so dearly, & frankly can tell from the looks on their faces when "something" happens that they know it's not right. The only things that help at this point are 1) I have a selection of terrific veterinarians, 2) all the older dogs are crate-trained, so accidents when I'm out & they're crated aren't a big deal, & 3) when we bought our current home, one of the decisive points was solid wood floors throughout - NO CARPETING ANYWHERE - so cleanups are easy, thorough, & I don't have any lasting unpleasant odors.

And Half-Baked - your last comment made me laugh because it's so true. Several of my vets (I try to spread the wealth around, what with 4 dogs, 6 cats, 7 horses, & a cockatoo - lol!!) have told me that they hope when they come back it's as one of my animals - lol!!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Master Chef

At least JR isn't doing it on purpose, to be spiteful.
My female Siamese is just beautiful, and has a very sweet, loving personality.

But...If she's mad about something, she lets me know by urinating in places she shouldn't...like on top of a laundry basket full of clean, folded clothes. She used to do it at the head of my bed, right between Kim's and my pillows, but I rubbed her face in it a spanked her with a rolled-up newspapers enough times that I think she's finally broken of that one.

I get so disgusted that I'm ready to take her to the pound, and then here she comes, talking to me in those little "prt...prts", snuggling her soft little nose up against me, and I realize there's no way I could get rid of her.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
At least JR isn't doing it on purpose, to be spiteful.
My female Siamese is just beautiful, and has a very sweet, loving personality.

But...If she's mad about something, she lets me know by urinating in places she shouldn't...like on top of a laundry basket full of clean, folded clothes. She used to do it at the head of my bed, right between Kim's and my pillows, but I rubbed her face in it a spanked her with a rolled-up newspapers enough times that I think she's finally broken of that one.

I get so disgusted that I'm ready to take her to the pound, and then here she comes, talking to me in those little "prt...prts", snuggling her soft little nose up against me, and I realize there's no way I could get rid of her.
OMG, Constance! I thought I was the only one who put up with that "stuff!" Julia Child Kitty does that too! And don't let me leave a black plastic bag on a flat surface, she is CERTAIN to pee on it!

Several years ago I consulted an animal behaviorist at the urging of Julia's vet... We changed her litter and litter box, and that does help, for the most part, BUT! she hasn't ruined the bed for a long time, and I do hope that is over, but you never know.

She's almost 12 now, and is not quite as frisky as she was, and sometimes I'm curious if some of her "errant pees" are natural accidents -- until they happen again in exactly the same spot!!!!! Oi vay! I love her too much to get rid of her, tho....
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Master Chef

Yup...I know about the plastic bags. Mei Yu has pulled that one too. She is only about 8 yrs old, which is still young for a Siamese, so it's not old age. And we let her have a litter of kittens before we had her spayed, so that's not the problem either.
She just gets spiteful if I close the bedroom door so she can't get in, or pay more attention to Chang (the male) than her.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

As I said with her mother, I'll put her down when she's in pain, but not for being a pain. At least, unlike her mother, she doesn't wake me up at all hours of the night crying to be put out. She holds it all night for the most part. We're trying to retrain OURSELVES not to step in it and make a greater mess. She's pretty good when we're here, but she cannot hold it when we are not. If you point it out to her, she ducks her head and slinks away very guiltily, so no, it isn't on purpose. And, yes, no wall-to-wall helps. You know what they say -- if Martians hit the world today, they'd know who the bsses are. Those four-footed animals who drag humans around by the leash, who carry plastic bags around to pick up poop, and give them treats.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
Master Chef

Bless you Claire. It's not a fun row to tow, but the enjoyment we get or have gotten is worth it.

My biggest problem with these large dogs with bladder (& other) problems is that I have a weak stomach at times - especially first thing in the morning. The only way I've found to defeat it is just to repeat over & over in my mind as to how upset the dog feels. I know that sounds stupid - but at least it keeps me from yakking - LOL!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

What is it with cats and plastic?

Back in the late 60s, early 70s, we all had beanbag chairs in our college apts. Someone would sit down and lean back on the bag and jump up yelling.

We couldn't keep the cat from wetting on that! She had clean litter so that was no excuse. At least it was easy to wash off.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Lol, Breezy...we have rescues too and wouldn't have it any other way. They are so good and so happy to have a home to call their own.