"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #1531
Master Chef

Our furbrain wants to go in the sunroom every day - when the sun is out - and she heads for a sunny spot. Top temp I've seen in there so far was 96 or 97. She lays down (or, maybe, passes out? ) and stays out there for about an hour - or when we call her in because we don't want to be the doormen anymore!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #1532
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
p.a.g., I'd give you a hug but it's too danged hot! I feel your sweat though. Summer is my least favorite season and this summer is topping the list. Himself told me he wanted to move to FL when he retired. I told him to find someone else to wed if he couldn't give that up. My FIL tried to tell me how wonderful it would be to live in FL. He reminded me how I had to bundle up or hide "up north" in the winter. I asked him WHY would I want to live somewhere where it is summer at least 9 months of the year. I never hid inside during the winter, I hiked and skied. I told him at least I had the option of adding clothing if I was cold in the winter, but the authorities would let me take only so much off if I was hot! Stay cool however you can.
After growing up in Maine, I thought that I would die, the first couple of summers here in NC. But I guess you do acclimate somewhat to the heat, just like you do to the cold. Now yes it feels hot, but it seems to bother me less than it did. Having central a/c everywhere you go helps.

Being more north that Florida, we at least get more variation when it comes to seasons. I don't like the cold anymore and snow makes me grouchy! I may have found for me the almost perfect balance (I can do without 100+ temps that we sometimes get in the summer).

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #1533
Master Chef

bakechef, I've said for years that NC would be a great place to retire to...if the kids weren't so far away (Akron-Canton area in OH). Loved Asheville and the area out that way when we vacationed last year. VA too, for all the history (Himself is a history buff (the only kind of "buff" he'll ever be), and the northern part along I-81 is only half as far away as we live now. But I really want to live close enough that one of them can stop by for supper.

MrsL and I were just discussing (PM) how it was easier to take the heat when we were younger. Now? I hate the thought of the heat between the house door and car, and then the thought of leaving my cooled-off car to go into a store. Gotta do it before the weather breaks, though, since I have to grocery shop before then.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #1534
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
bakechef, I've said for years that NC would be a great place to retire to...if the kids weren't so far away (Akron-Canton area in OH). Loved Asheville and the area out that way when we vacationed last year. VA too, for all the history (Himself is a history buff (the only kind of "buff" he'll ever be), and the northern part along I-81 is only half as far away as we live now. But I really want to live close enough that one of them can stop by for supper.

MrsL and I were just discussing (PM) how it was easier to take the heat when we were younger. Now? I hate the thought of the heat between the house door and car, and then the thought of leaving my cooled-off car to go into a store. Gotta do it before the weather breaks, though, since I have to grocery shop before then.
We need to invent an umbrella type thing that shoots cold air all over us as we make those runs from the car to the store etc !!!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #1535
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a handicap placard. So I get to park almost right next to the door. My supermarket has a vent right inside the first door and you get a blast of freezing air as you walk in. And in the winter, you get a blast of heat. I don't mind going there at all. I am not in the hot outside air anymore than 15 seconds. I can't complain.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #1536
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I hate Windows. Windows 8 is fast, but other than that, it sucks.

I can't seem my network because MS is using a new SAMBA protocol that only Win 8 uses. Well, this is the only computer in the house that's a Win 8 machine. Others are running Win 7, XP Pro, or Linux.

There is a fix. I can edit my registry to disable this new one, so it reverts to the old one. Grrrr. I hate editing the registry. It makes me nervous.

BTW, other computers can see this one.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #1537
Executive Chef

This morning it was another trip back to the Doc. Been feeling progressively worse the past 3 days.

Oh joy - now I have bronchitis

So on to another round of antibiotics and prednisone.

When I told DH about the pred he was visibly shaken.

Seems he still has vivid memories of a few weeks ago when I was on that and went into some serious mood swings LOL

He was cute .. "Oh no, well at least there is something they can do to help you out and just exactly how long will you be on that Prednisone?"

I'm so tired of this stupid sickness. I just want it to go away and leave me alone !!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #1538
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
...I'm so tired of this stupid sickness. I just want it to go away and leave me alone !!
I know what you mean. Being sick with no quick solution really sucks. I hope you are over it ASAP.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #1539
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Get well soon, MrsLMB.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #1540
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
...I'm so tired of this stupid sickness. I just want it to go away and leave me alone !!
So, basically, you're sick of being sick. Sorry you still aren't better. REST, darn it, and get healthy soon.