"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #1661
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I guess I didn't explain it very well. It's a standard part on most toilets, not just Canadian toilets. This is what the one I should have bought looks like:

That's from Home Depot in the US. Korky Plus 2 in. Toilet Tank Flapper-2001CM at The Home Depot
Once you told me was it was, I knew immediately. All toilets I have seen for more than ten years now have the tank innards completely sealed. You almost have to call a plumber to repair it should it break. I am sure there are some old toilets still around. I just haven't come across any.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #1662
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Once you told me was it was, I knew immediately. All toilets I have seen for more than ten years now have the tank innards completely sealed. You almost have to call a plumber to repair it should it break. I am sure there are some old toilets still around. I just haven't come across any.
Addie, have to call you out on this one....I have 4 top of the line Toto toilets in my house, that are not "old". My house is less than 10 yrs old. The "tank innards" are not sealed and they do have flappers. They are low flow, comfort height and have skirted bases. I have seen the toilets you are talking about, in fact we had one in the rental house we lived in while we were building our home. That toilet had powerful suction and we would crack up when guests were caught unaware. Since there are approximately 450 million toilets in N. America, I'm guessing you've only "seen" a small percentage. ;)

Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #1663
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Addie, have to call you out on this one....I have 4 top of the line Toto toilets in my house, that are not "old". My house is less than 10 yrs old. The "tank innards" are not sealed and they do have flappers. They are low flow, comfort height and have skirted bases. I have seen the toilets you are talking about, in fact we had one in the rental house we lived in while we were building our home. That toilet had powerful suction and we would crack up when guests were caught unaware. Since there are approximately 450 million toilets in N. America, I'm guessing you've only "seen" a small percentage. ;)
I haven't seen a toilet with the flapper in eons. I too have a toilet with powerful suction. A lot of old people in this building are surprised and think they are going down the drain when they flush it. They are scared to be sitting and flushing it. When my landlord of many years ago heard about having to install the new water saving toilets, he thought it meant immediately. And for all landlords and home owners. He read the law wrong. So he showed up at my door one day with a new 'suck you down the drain' toilets. I didn't complain, I was getting a pretty new toilet. But I hated it at first.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #1664
Chef Extraordinaire

We have replaced the toilets in both of our bathrooms in the last 5-6 years and both have a removable top and a flapper inside. And they're both low-flow.

Maybe it's a northeast thing.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #1665
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have replaced the toilets in both of our bathrooms in the last 5-6 years and both have a removable top and a flapper inside. And they're both low-flow.

Maybe it's a northeast thing.
Could be. Maybe I need to go into a lot of other bathrooms. I need to change my circle of friends.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #1666
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Could be. Maybe I need to go into a lot of other bathrooms. I need to change my circle of friends.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #1667
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think that here all new toilets have to be low flow.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #1668
Certified Pretend Chef

Low flows have been required for some time now in the US.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #1669
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think that here all new toilets have to be low flow.
You law was passed after our went into effect. So folks go and buy a new low flow toilet. They hate it. They didn't flush properly. So since the couldn't buy any of the old ones anymore, and even the junk yards were not allow to sell the old ones they got, folks headed to Canada. Folks were very ingenious. They tried to disguise them. Put them in boxes labeled for refrigerators or stoves, in the back seat covered with a blanket and made to look like someone was sleeping. The border patrol would catch them and confiscate them. One guy wanted the toilet back so he could return it and get his money back. Sorry fella. No go. One fella even blamed the Canadians. They should have known it was illegal for Americans to bring them over the border and not sold it to him.

There was an article in Reader's Digest about "Our Good Neighbors To The North". There were so many confiscated toilets, that the Border Patrol wanted to hold an auction in Canada with them. Your government nixed that idea. It ended up that they were smashed and sent to the dump. It really was a very funny article.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #1670
Certified Pretend Chef

Early low flows did do a poor job of flushing. We have one on the low flows and it works as well or better than the one it replaced. I wouldn't hesitate to replace our second one with a low flow. Also, it's 2" higher.