"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #1681
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
What kind of toilet was the one replaced?

<running and ducking>
An outhouse out back.

(running ahead of you and ducking lower.)

Old 08-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #1682
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
An outhouse out back.

(running ahead of you and ducking lower.)

Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #1683
Master Chef

Wanted to buy a new PC. MY company is offering a purchasing program as a part of benefits package, where they claim that we will receive a 12% discount of purchase of new Dell. Called the Dell. Guess what, the discount is only 2%. Bastards.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #1684
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Wanted to buy a new PC. MY company is offering a purchasing program as a part of benefits package, where they claim that we will receive a 12% discount of purchase of new Dell. Called the Dell. Guess what, the discount is only 2%. Bastards.
Tell your company.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #1685
Master Chef

Quote:
Doesn't his company provide free laundry service for his uniforms?
Actually have say that my company is not always bad. They do provide uniform and the laundry service. It is a huge help, huge. I work in a dirty machine shop; I love laundered shirts and pants every day.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #1686
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Actually have say that my company is not always bad. They do provide uniform and the laundry service. It is a huge help, huge. I work in a dirty machine shop; I love laundered shirts and pants every day.
Charlie I once worked for a company that provided laundry service and the bill used to cross my desk. I know how expensive it is. So it is a huge help. They also provided heavy winter jackets along with other articles of clothing. Shorts and T shirts in the summer, work boots, safety glasses, etc. It was an very costly expense that the company ate. They also offered full medical and dental BC/BS coverage and paid 3/4 of the monthly premium.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #1687
Master Chef

Quote:

Charlie I once worked for a company that provided laundry service and the bill used to cross my desk. I know how expensive it is. So it is a huge help. They also provided heavy winter jackets along with other articles of clothing. Shorts and T shirts in the summer, work boots, safety glasses, etc. It was an very costly expense that the company ate. They also offered full medical and dental BC/BS coverage and paid 3/4 of the monthly premium.
That must have been some company, nobody does things like that anymore .
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #1688
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That must have been some company, nobody does things like that anymore .
When I first went to work for them, they were writing their bills out by hand. No typewriter, letterhead, etc. That was the first year. By the end of that year, they were worth over $1m. And from there the company has just kept growing. They shared that growth with their workers because the owner realized that without them, there would be no company.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #1689
Master Chef

"Alien Hum"

We lived .6 airline miles from an interstate at our last house. You could hear the road noises a little if the wind and humidity were just right, and I could hear a tiny bit at night - or it could have just been me imagining I heard it. When we moved to MA the closest interstate is nearly 3 airline miles away. Perfect silence. Maybe a half dozen years ago I started to hear a low hum. Figured the little strip shopping center behind the houses at the end of our street and through the heavily wooded area had added more air conditioning systems for the stores, one of which is a grocery store. But even that is almost half a mile away. Himself never heard the noise either here or back home. But, a year or so ago, the gas station/convenience store at the start of our neighborhood did a complete rebuild. Since then the noise is louder - even Himself can hear it. Bugs the heck out of me!

I suppose there are worse things in life. After all, I could go deaf and never hear that hum again. But then I'd never hear the birds sing, or my kitty mew, or my hubby tell me he loves me.

Just for fun, when this noise started to get really annoying, I hit it lucky when I thought of googling "alien hum". Sometimes you google just the right phrase for the topic. If you've never heard of "alien hum" you can read a quick, reasonable summary here: Mysterious Humming Sound Heard Around the World ~ ADG (UK) It's not one of those "aliens are coming to get you!!!" kind of story.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #1690
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear you CG. My apartment is right over the mechanical room. Now these apartments are well insulated. My neighbor and I can't hear a thing from each other's apartment. When I have my windows closed in the winter I can't hear any street noise.

But! I can hear the water heater kick on and the hum it makes. And I can hear the sump pump kick on when it is raining. I have gotten use to it, but at first it drove me crazy. Now the sump pump lulls me to sleep.