Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
right at this time, i am recovering from a compression fracture in my back, and having my meds delivered to me. hence the need for the pain pills in the first place, and the necessity for a pharmacy that can deliver. i cannot easily switch drug stores. i can count the pills in the presence of the delivery person, however, and in the privacy of my home.

the pharmacist, asked me in a real snide manner if i always count my pills. and actually, i don't--never even had a reason to question an rx before. but these vicodin are some HUGe horse pills. i had been getting a short squat pill bottle of 100 pills that filled the container. this time, the level looked noticably lower to me. even so, i was still surprised at the shortage--and even more so of my discovery of the second one.

i hate so much having to depend on other people anyway, especially for the most basic of services like this. i am soo ready to put an end to this latest, most disagreeable chapter of my so-called life....

Hope you feel better soon V! Back pain is horrible :(

thanks, snip. i'm working on it.:) i am lucky in that i have a great gp who has been making house calls--can you believe that in today's world?! also, i've had plenty of time to read to my heart's content....:)

thanks, snip. i'm working on it.:) i am lucky in that i have a great gp who has been making house calls--can you believe that in today's world?! also, i've had plenty of time to read to my heart's content....:)

Glad you are being looked after :)
I know this is a terrible thing to say but I sometimes wish I get injured so I can go and rest in hospital :angel: I need a break and my family don't let me rest even when I'm ill. The only time someone in my home helps out is when it's Dr's orders! It's been 4 years? I think since my heart attack and that was the last time I rested! 27 plus 4 is 31 :ermm: that's about right :LOL:
Wish I could come take care of you, it would be a holiday compared to this!

snip--a heart attack?--at twenty-seven--oh no! do you still have a heart condition today? so sorry to hear that, snip.

i agree that you need support at home that you are apparently not getting. you deserve so much more, snip--insist on it! your present situation sounds untenable. nobody should have to wish for an injury or illness in order to get some relief and tlc. sometimes you just have to be your own top priority.:)

snip--a heart attack?--at twenty-seven--oh no! do you still have a heart condition today? so sorry to hear that, snip.

i agree that you need support at home that you are apparently not getting. you deserve so much more, snip--insist on it! your present situation sounds untenable. nobody should have to wish for an injury or illness in order to get some relief and tlc. sometimes you just have to be your own top priority.:)

Don't feel bad for me V :) I'm a big girl, I can deal with it! I've worked hard my whole life and I'm used to it. Yes I am still on medication. Just need a break, alone if possible.
There are many people in this world that are worse off. I have 2 beautiful kids, food and a roof over my head. My husband cares, he's just a bit lazy.
Once I can find work I will hire a maid, scouts honour!

Last edited:
Don't feel bad for me V :) I'm a big girl, I can deal with it! I've worked hard my whole life and I'm used to it. Just need a break, alone if possible.
There are many people in this world that are worse off. I have 2 beautiful kids, food and a roof over my head. My husband cares, he's just a bit lazy.
Once I can find work I will hire a maid, scouts honour!
What kind of work are you looking for? Are you a trained pharmacist?

What kind of work are you looking for? Are you a trained pharmacist?

I am trained but I am looking for something in Sales. I'm good at sales and I enjoy it. I've got some experience but the problem is that there is no work available in this town. I would do just about anything right now.
We only have one car at the moment so my work must either be walking distance or close to my husband's offices. I will also only be able to work till 5 pm so that I can fetch my children from aftercare.
I'll find something, I must just be patient. People will start resigning after December. Everyone is hanging on to their jobs till they get their bonus.

I am trained but I am looking for something in Sales. I'm good at sales and I enjoy it. I've got some experience but the problem is that there is no work available in this town. I would do just about anything right now.
We only have one car at the moment so my work must either be walking distance or close to my husband's offices. I will also only be able to work till 5 pm so that I can fetch my children from aftercare.
I'll find something, I must just be patient. People will start resigning after December. Everyone is hanging on to their jobs till they get their bonus.
Do the stores hire extra help for the Yuletide holidays? That's sometimes a way to get a foot in the door.

You wrote that you only have one car, so you have to walk (or work near your DH). Isn't there any public transportation? What about taxis?

Are there any agencies for temporary work?

Do the stores hire extra help for the Yuletide holidays? That's sometimes a way to get a foot in the door.

You wrote that you only have one car, so you have to walk (or work near your DH). Isn't there any public transportation? What about taxis?

Are there any agencies for temporary work?

I've handed my CV in for holiday jobs, will have to wait and see. Public transport is a no no. Only taxi's and unfortunetly white people are not exactly welcomed on public transport. Don't feel like getting murdered or raped. It's not safe for woman to travel on taxi's and we don't have buses or trains in Brakpan.

I've handed my CV in for holiday jobs, will have to wait and see. Public transport is a no no. Only taxi's and unfortunetly white people are not exactly welcomed on public transport. Don't feel like getting murdered or raped. It's not safe for woman to travel on taxi's and we don't have buses or trains in Brakpan.
Oh dear. It's been about 20 years since apartheid was abolished. I guess things haven't gotten that much better for non-whites yet, if the resentment is still that strong.

right at this time, i am recovering from a compression fracture in my back, and having my meds delivered to me. hence the need for the pain pills in the first place, and the necessity for a pharmacy that can deliver. i cannot easily switch drug stores. i can count the pills in the presence of the delivery person, however, and in the privacy of my home.

the pharmacist, asked me in a real snide manner if i always count my pills. and actually, i don't--never even had a reason to question an rx before. but these vicodin are some HUGe horse pills. i had been getting a short squat pill bottle of 100 pills that filled the container. this time, the level looked noticably lower to me. even so, i was still surprised at the shortage--and even more so of my discovery of the second one.

i hate so much having to depend on other people anyway, especially for the most basic of services like this. i am soo ready to put an end to this latest, most disagreeable chapter of my so-called life....

I would have said, "Yes, I do since it's obvious you don't, somebody has to do it." But, then I am not the most subtle person when I get my dander up.

Compression Fx, no fun! I hope it gets better!

Hoping you are feeling a lot better real soon V :)

It's a pet peeve of mine that flood insurance is not covered under homeowner's insurance. That big storm up the east coast is sure to cause water damage and it just seems ridiculous that you have to buy separate insurance for it. Why is it any more likely for wind damage (which is covered) to occur than flood damage (which is not)? I bought flood insurance for years because it was required by the mortgage on the house and its location in a flood plain. But really, isn't any place it rains subject to getting excess water? Come to think of it, I don't think flood insurance is available if you're not in a flood plain - can't recall if that's true or not.

It's a pet peeve of mine that flood insurance is not covered under homeowner's insurance. That big storm up the east coast is sure to cause water damage and it just seems ridiculous that you have to buy separate insurance for it. Why is it any more likely for wind damage (which is covered) to occur than flood damage (which is not)? I bought flood insurance for years because it was required by the mortgage on the house and its location in a flood plain. But really, isn't any place it rains subject to getting excess water? Come to think of it, I don't think flood insurance is available if you're not in a flood plain - can't recall if that's true or not.
Sometimes I think insurance companies are idiots. You can't get earthquake insurance unless you live in an area with dangerous earthquakes. Hunh? Why won't they take my money for something low risk? Same stupidity as the flood plain thing.

Just spent 2 hours washing dishes after dinner. Psoriasis is acting up from all the chemicals, my poor hands look like lizzard scales "rolling my eyes" lol! How can 8 people dirty 5 basins full of dishes? I washed everything I used while cooking too and the men drank beer in bottles. My house looks like we had a frat party, getting stuck to my dining room table as I type. It must be beer and I didn't even have any. Think I'm going to bed now since it's 11:25 pm.

Last edited:
It's a pet peeve of mine that flood insurance is not covered under home owner's insurance. That big storm up the east coast is sure to cause water damage and it just seems ridiculous that you have to buy separate insurance for it. Why is it any more likely for wind damage (which is covered) to occur than flood damage (which is not)? I bought flood insurance for years because it was required by the mortgage on the house and its location in a flood plain. But really, isn't any place it rains subject to getting excess water? Come to think of it, I don't think flood insurance is available if you're not in a flood plain - can't recall if that's true or not.

I am trying to jog my memory. Back in the 50's there was a major BIG flood from the Mississippi River. I remember seeing pictures in Life magazine taken from the air. Not only homes were lost, but crops, animals, etc. The water went inland on both sides of the river for miles. And because the Mississippi was so polluted at the time, it left the land unfit for growing crops. The insurance companies took a beating. Not just for covering the homes but also the crops. After that, they refused to give you flood insurance unless you moved and gave up your land and way of life. Very few folks were willing to do that. So when the next flood came, the government stepped in. That is when you got your insurance through the government. But they also had restrictions. So you can blame the government for the rules. :angel:

I have these silicone pot holders that work great. They allow you to hold the hottest cookware for a good bit of time with no heat transfer. I love them. I also have a 'seeing eye' thumb that can find the tiny little hole in the edge of the pot holder for hanging it on a hook. As a result, I now have a 'pot holder hole' sized blister on the tip of my thumb.

I have these silicone pot holders that work great. They allow you to hold the hottest cookware for a good bit of time with no heat transfer. I love them. I also have a 'seeing eye' thumb that can find the tiny little hole in the edge of the pot holder for hanging it on a hook. As a result, I now have a 'pot holder hole' sized blister on the tip of my thumb.

Ouch! Time to fix that hole...

You can file that with my putting out a cigarette with the tip of my finger. Not the smartest thing I have ever done. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom