"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #2911
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sprout, you wrestled in HS? Good for you! Or was it with a boyfriend?
I could tell you stories. But I'll be a good Dad for a change and keep my lips sealed.

And Sprout, nope, never knew about the finger. With as much attention as I paid to all of you during those years, I really don't understand how I could have missed that one.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #2912
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Apparently I either need to wear a HazMat suit or bathe myself in Beagle's Frontline Plus. Was out in the yard cleaning out the flower beds, came in and found yet ANOTHER tick under my clothes! My second so far this spring, and we've only had 2 days of nice weather! DH, Beagle and I have all had ticks on us so far. And these are the little (probably) deer ticks. Beagle has been Frontlined, as has the couch and carpet as she hates it, but I still wish there was something that would work on people. I sure wouldn't wipe it off on the couch or carpet. End of rant.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #2913
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Apparently I either need to wear a HazMat suit or bathe myself in Beagle's Frontline Plus. Was out in the yard cleaning out the flower beds, came in and found yet ANOTHER tick under my clothes! My second so far this spring, and we've only had 2 days of nice weather! DH, Beagle and I have all had ticks on us so far. And these are the little (probably) deer ticks. Beagle has been Frontlined, as has the couch and carpet as she hates it, but I still wish there was something that would work on people. I sure wouldn't wipe it off on the couch or carpet. End of rant.
Oh dear!

from Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases: Information for healthcare professionals - Lyme Disease - Public Health Agency of Canada

Prevention

There is no vaccine for Lyme disease. The best way to avoid Lyme disease is to protect against tick bites. Health professionals should advise their patients to take the following measures:
  • If there are ticks in your area, cover up if you think you might be exposed to them. Wear closed-toe shoes, long-sleeved shirts and pants. Pulling your socks over your pant legs prevents ticks crawling up your legs. Light-coloured clothing makes spotting ticks easier.
  • Use insect repellents that contain DEET (concentration between 20-30%) or Icaridin. Repellents can be applied to clothing as well as exposed skin. Always read and follow label directions.
  • Shower or bathe within two hours of being outdoors. Daily “full body” checks for ticks should be performed: ticks attach themselves to the skin so they can be found and removed, which usually prevents infection if this is done early enough (within 24-48 hours). Be sure to check children and pets for ticks as well.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #2914
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Even after bathing, they don't go away! Isn't it something that there's no vaccine or preventative? And who wants to spend their time outside on a beautiful 76°F or higher day in a HazMat suit.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #2915
Sous Chef

Quote:
Sprout, you wrestled in HS? Good for you! Or was it with a boyfriend?
I was on the team. I was terrible at it, but I worked hard and enjoyed it. It really improved my soccer game, too. I just had to remember that there's a big difference in the amount of contact allowed on the field vs the mat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #2916
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post

I was on the team. I was terrible at it, but I worked hard and enjoyed it. It really improved my soccer game, too. I just had to remember that there's a big difference in the amount of contact allowed on the field vs the mat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Sprout, I am impressed! One of my female students that I worked with fought to be on the wrestling team, and was, and another was on the football team.

Kudos! (And sorry about your finger)
Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #2917
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Is she going to be 13 Charlie? That indeed is a big day for her. More questions Charlie. Can the 13th birthday be celebrated a week or so later or does it have to be right on the day? I know it is a BIG day for the boys, but do most Jewish families celebrate it as much for the girls? I feel sorry for the families that have only girls.
Addi, she is only 12. The traditional way was always 12. Until feminism penetrated the religious life too. Not to get distracted by roll of feminism in the society, that is totally separate subject. But somehow even in religious life women decided to prove that they equal to men. If you ask me they are better and had nothing to prove. It's us men, that have to constantly prove our worthiness to G-d.
Anyways, we adhere to old tradition. 12 year old girls give a speech based on the Torah portion of the week. Reflecting how it relates to our everyday life. And it always does. It is not the size of the party that matters. Party you can have any day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 04-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #2918
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Even after bathing, they don't go away! Isn't it something that there's no vaccine or preventative? And who wants to spend their time outside on a beautiful 76°F or higher day in a HazMat suit.

I'm sure Frontline makes a collar in DH's size...
Old 04-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #2919
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Well, that thing I quoted from the Public Health Agency of Canada said to use DEET based insect repellants.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #2920
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

I'm sure Frontline makes a collar in DH's size...
Ya squirt Frontline between the shoulder blades, no collar! Though I wish....DH won't hold still. And he keeps trying to wipe it off on the carpet.