Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zero degrees F. today, and colder than that for the last two weeks, actually, most of December. Wind chill today is supposed to get to -50. I don't mind the cold, but it's a little too cold, even for me. I'm sure glad I repaired my furnace last year. My minor complaint, it's too cold and food prices are too high.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back when a Honda was a small car my husband and I left for a camping trip in the Mojave for a week after dropping our daughter off at grandparents in L.A. He could show sardines how to pack!

We had all our camping gear, food, clothes and a fully grown Afghan Hound and her food in that Honda, with no trailer or anything loaded on the top!

That guy could PACK!

So came home to frozen pipes.... I didn't expect to be dealing with this.

Some pipes going in and out of the water heater aren't insulated. The next door neighbor is dealing with the same issue. We're the two that were gone all day to work, so water hasn't been running.

This week is testing my patience.:wacko:

Oh drat, Bakechef, what a pain! Frozen pipes are the worst! Hope you can get it sorted. Get out the hair dryer.

Oh, you don't have hair, so you probably don't have a dryer....see if you can borrow one?

Last edited:
I have space heaters out in the shed where the water heater is, hoping for the best. They are pointed right at the pipes!

You bet your bippy that we'll be leaving the water drizzling tomorrow while at work! All of the rest of the plumbing is inside the structure so it has to be out there.

It's okay CG. Sometimes it is difficult to express one's attitude in the proper manner it was meant with just the printed word and in lacking facial expressions. Perhaps someday there will be forum in real time, other than Skype whereby we can exchange conversations with facial expressions. I am one of those folks who can find humor in the most serious situation. (Don't ever take me to a funeral.) You will notice that when a member will post a most difficult situation for them, (illness, pain, etc.) I don't respond only because I manage to find the humor in their problem. It would be my first and most inappropriate response. So I keep my mouth shut and fingers still.

For the past couple of weeks since this snafu came to light over the medical coverage, I had visions of me walking around a large room saying to folks sitting at computers, "Coffee, tea, Valium? Coffee, tea, suicide kit? Coffee, tea, murder kit?"

I am glad you found a solution to your problem. And I do hope our government gets this mess straightened out. I am just one of the wacky folks who refuse to get depressed or very upset with life. :angel:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well I have a belly full of chinese food and the house is warm. I have a rental car. Could be worse I suppose!

I may have to go to the gym to take a shower, I left the gym to come home to take a shower, that obviously hasn't happened yet...

Oh no! BC, can you perhaps move this water heater into your house?

With love,
~Cat

I like it where it is, because if it fails it won't flood my house! When I get it replaced soon, I'll have some heat tape installed on the pipes so I can plug it in if we get a freak cold snap like this again!

I like it where it is, because if it fails it won't flood my house! When I get it replaced soon, I'll have some heat tape installed on the pipes so I can plug it in if we get a freak cold snap like this again!

Oh I see. This has been very cold for us in NC!

With love,
~Cat

Yes, "freak cold snap" is the right phrase. You wouldn't usually get a cold snap like this down south. So glad the pipes didn't burst!

Seriously, you may want to consider a hair dryer, they're really handy for thawing out stuff!

We do OK at packing too Carol. When the kids were young (pre-school and early grades) we camped a lot. Tent camped. With cooking gear and all. From a VW Golf! Camped like that for quite a few years, then ended up buying a Plymouth (un)Reliant station wagon...and stopped camping! :ROFLMAO:

Used that car for a number of trips from the Cleveland OH area to Cape Coral FL too. Had to stop on the yet-unfinished WV portion of I-77 to...change a diaper on the rear deck. :ermm: :ohmy: Um, we were headed to Himself's folks to spend Thanksgiving with them. Mighty breezy in the car!

When you get your heat tape invest in one of these so you can leave the heat tape plugged in year round. Many versions exist, this is just one example.

Thermo Cube: Thermostatically Controlled Outlet

CG's "Mighty breezy in the car!" reminded me of my first car. It was a 1972 Chevy Nomad, a station wagon. I bought it for $200 in 1979. It was rusty. It was breezy all the time in that car. It was so rusty that I occasionally got hit by a salt pellet, inside the car, when driving it in winter. :ermm::LOL:

Zero degrees F. today, and colder than that for the last two weeks, actually, most of December. Wind chill today is supposed to get to -50. I don't mind the cold, but it's a little too cold, even for me. I'm sure glad I repaired my furnace last year. My minor complaint, it's too cold and food prices are too high.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Saw a picture of International Falls on the news. Just a trickle getting through all that ice. Beautiful picture, but somewhere I have no desire to be.

I also have a place I don't want to be this afternoon. At the surgeon's office for a consultation. It is for my gall bladder and possible surgery. Because of my heart, hopefully he will be reluctant to do the surgery. :angel:

I also have a place I don't want to be this afternoon. At the surgeon's office for a consultation. It is for my gall bladder and possible surgery. Because of my heart, hopefully he will be reluctant to do the surgery. :angel:

Listen to what he has to say and make your own decision, Addy. They can't force you to have surgery.

CG's "Mighty breezy in the car!" reminded me of my first car. It was a 1972 Chevy Nomad, a station wagon. I bought it for $200 in 1979. It was rusty. It was breezy all the time in that car. It was so rusty that I occasionally got hit by a salt pellet, inside the car, when driving it in winter. :ermm::LOL:
You might like my stupid human trick I did (unintentionally!) to Himself when we were driving my van to our daughter last January. When we had to go over details of something I hopped into his car since it had heated seats (we were traveling in single-degree temps that year too). When trying to turn on the passenger reading light, somehow I managed to open the vent position on his sunroof. Since his inside cover is manual we didn't realize it was open. He could not figure why he could not get the car warmed up...until our next stop. That's when he noticed the roof vented. :ermm: :ohmy: I'm still reminded of it. Fortunately he can't get back at me...my car's sunroof is fully automated! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom