Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ironically enough, a peeve of mine is those that always complain and never balance this by noticing something positive, e.g. to be grateful for. There are always those so much worse off than us.

Currently a tenant here is persistently irate by my front garden straying on to the communal path by a few inches. She calls them weeds but they are beautiful wild flowers and not obstructing anything (the path is wide). I find it pathetic that this should matter to her but the bottom line is
really that she dislikes these wild flowers. If that is all she has to worry about her life must be great! I said she could cut them back if this is such a problem to her.
icon_rolleyes.gif

She is normally so pleasant and easy going - it's puzzling. I don't regard these flowers as unsightly. To me, it highlights conditioning. Anything wild she probably sees as weeds and therefore not to be appreciated if you cannot buy it. How sad is that? Hollyhocks grow wild and are delightful.

Could she possibly have allergies? :angel:

Today there are two new holes and one of the two I filled in has been re-excavated.

I'm starting to save pee. I am also starting to save the hair from my comb. I have read skunks don't like human hair.

Anybody know any other harmless skunk deterrents?

Ornery dog, pet red-tailed hawk, certain species of owls.

Become a falconer and you will no longer have a skunk problem.:rolleyes::mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north

Ornery dog, pet red-tailed hawk, certain species of owls.

Become a falconer and you will no longer have a skunk problem.:rolleyes::mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north
:LOL: Not too likely.

That's right, some owls hunt skunk. The great horned owl thinks skunk is a delicacy. That's why you shouldn't walk in the country at night wearing a white hat. More than one moving white hat has been mistaken for a skunk. Apparently the owl figures it out when it's too late to completely stop the dive. They try to stop, but their talons hit first. :ohmy: :eek: ow ow ow

You got my curiosity aroused so I went on the hunt. It seems that all home remedies call for cayenne pepper sprinkled liberally. One recommended castor oil mixed with the pepper. Another one recommended placing your dryer sheets where they are. And then there were just too far out to even mention. Myself, I would go for the hot powered pepper. Good luck. :angel:

First, let me preface this by explaining that I come from the old school when it comes to language and grammar. Suffice it to say, it makes me nuts when I see postings on sites such as Facebook where people, most likely unknowingly, write sloppily. Texting, which is something our phones (Glenn's and mine - on purpose) aren't equipped to do, is another death knell for language. I cringe when I see things such as "How R U?" I'm getting the creepy crawlies just typing that, but that's me.

I came across something that Weird Al has done that humorously points out the craziness of today's language usage. Take a look here and you'll see what I mean. And, as usual, it's definitely Yankovic!

First, let me preface this by explaining that I come from the old school when it comes to language and grammar. Suffice it to say, it makes me nuts when I see postings on sites such as Facebook where people, most likely unknowingly, write sloppily. Texting, which is something our phones (Glenn's and mine - on purpose) aren't equipped to do, is another death knell for language. I cringe when I see things such as "How R U?" I'm getting the creepy crawlies just typing that, but that's me.

I came across something that Weird Al has done that humorously points out the craziness of today's language usage. Take a look here and you'll see what I mean. And, as usual, it's definitely Yankovic!

Great minds think alike, Katie. Check out Today's Funnys.

Taxy, I remember a lady I worked with years ago who had a skunk take up residence under her porch. No exterminator service would deal with skunks. Poor lady, the whole house smelled like skunk, including all her clothes. IIRC she used a Havahart trap baited with cat food that's specially designed to prevent the skunk from lifting its tail to spray. Then it's relocated far away.

Last edited:
You got my curiosity aroused so I went on the hunt. It seems that all home remedies call for cayenne pepper sprinkled liberally. One recommended castor oil mixed with the pepper. Another one recommended placing your dryer sheets where they are. And then there were just too far out to even mention. Myself, I would go for the hot powered pepper. Good luck. :angel:
Thanks for the suggestions Addie. I already Googled and I don't think I'll be using cayenne. There are squirrels and I've heard they get it on their hands and then into their eyes. Then they scratch their eyes. :eek: If the urine and hair don't work, I will probably buy some castor oil.
:angel:
Taxy, I remember a lady I worked with years ago who had a skunk take up residence under her porch. No exterminator service would deal with skunks. Poor lady, the whole house smelled like skunk, including all her clothes. IIRC she used a Havahart trap baited with cat food that's specially designed to prevent the skunk from lifting its tail to spray. Then it's relocated far away.
Thanks for the suggestion, I sure hope I don't have to go that far. I'll try other methods first. I really don't mind having a skunk living in the neighbourhood, just not digging at Shreddy's grave.

Thanks, Andy. I will, then I'll go to the kitchen where I have the ingredients at the ready to make a bunch of "vanishing oatmeal cookies!" Oven's already preheated so I'm ready to rock and roll. Yum!

What a great idea! I've been trying to come up with something to make for a dessert. That will fill the bill.

Could she possibly have allergies? :angel:
No Addie. She has admitted that she doesn't like the "weeds", which I regard as wild flowers.

I just had an interesting discovery. I googled the wild flower to find that it is a garden escape in my garden because it is a CULTIVATED flower! A red valerian!

I have just told her this (via email so she can see the link for herself) and it will be interesting to see if her perception now changes. ;)

No Addie. She has admitted that she doesn't like the "weeds", which I regard as wild flowers.

I just had an interesting discovery. I googled the wild flower to find that it is a garden escape in my garden because it is a CULTIVATED flower! A red valerian!

I have just told her this (via email so she can see the link for herself) and it will be interesting to see if her perception now changes. ;)

Interesting, creative. I sometimes take valerian root capsules before bed to achieve a more relaxed sleep.

Interesting, creative. I sometimes take valerian root capsules before bed to achieve a more relaxed sleep.
Well, red valerian is different from the "true valerian" but, I have just discovered that the leaves and roots of the red valerian can be eaten!

Weeds are just plants where someone doesn't want them :)

I have to fight the temptation to buy a wild flower mixture and spread it all over the yard...I think the landlord would be upset.

I have to fight the temptation to buy a wild flower mixture and spread it all over the yard...I think the landlord would be upset.

When new neighbors first moved in next door a number of years ago, the husband "kindly" offered to Roundup my little wildflower garden that separates our properties. Of course, I had to explain they were wildflowers. Dang city folks.

A weed is just a misplaced flower.

Last edited:
A weed is just a misplaced flower.
Or a flower in need of a good press agent. ;)

I don't understand the wrath heaped upon crab grass. It needs little water, fills in the bare spots, stays green no matter how hot and dry the summer is, and feels a little like Florida grass when you walk on it. Maybe that's it - Florida grass is rough! :LOL: Our grass is pretty much in a clipped naturalized state. Those clover plants sure know how to hide their heads when the mower blade comes around.

I have transformed my lawn into a lawn meadow (becoming quite popular now ... at least here in UK). I got fed up with the constant maintenance of a kept lawn that was rarely used (e.g. for sitting on etc). Admittedly it looks straggly for some of the year (and I hand scythe it down after it has seeded), but I so prefer the long graceful grasses and the tall wild flowers. Attracts butterflies too!

My front garden - that this tenant complained about, i.e. spilling out (by a few inches) onto the wide path - was originally paved over with concrete. I have allowed nature to take its course...with plants and flowers growing through the cracks. I am a nature lover and much prefer to see her gifts than to look at dull, uninspiring grey concrete. I guess this may be behind her complaint. It just depicts a closed, conditioned mind to me. (She hasn't replied to my email, showing her that the "weeds" are in fact cultivated flowers that are garden escapes. I guess she still holds some kind of bizarre grievance/hatred of them...maybe because they are not in pots?
780422031.gif
)

Last edited:
Washing a wound in detergent helps a lot with wounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Back
Top Bottom