Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
And now, I might as well post about my Rosalie. I made the appointment, I slept curled up on the floor with her, I sat with her outside on a blanket and told her all the things I loved about her, all the memories I could muster up, took her to the vet. Waited while they re-shot the x-rays...inconclusive. The vet couldn't tell me it was definitely a tumor/mass. So, after a discussion with the vet, we brought her HOME AGAIN (did bloodwork, etc.). We are on bonus time now. We were on bonus time after she turned 10. She turned 11 today. Her birthday supper is pasta, ground beef, veggies. If today ends up being her last day, you always want "just one more day." I got that one more day (and hopefully more).

Hardest thing in the world. I have had to put down 5 dogs due to old age. Dogs just don't live long enough. God should give them an extension. Rosalie is so lucky being so loved.

Last edited:
Hardest thing in the world. I have had to put down 7 dogs due to old age. Dogs just don't live long enough. God should give them an extension. Rosalie is so lucky being so loved.

It is always hard--but when you know you can't do anything and you don't want the dog to suffer, you find the courage and strength to say goodbye. We don't have to wait for them to die in pain or agony, or with a lose of dignity.

I had to know that the possible mass had grown...it hasn't. I could do an ultrasound, but it could show nothing. And, given her age and breed, I wouldn't do anything any way. So that would be for me. She gets so stressed going for a ride and then at the vet, I just can't put her through that for me. The x-ray confirmed she has an odd-shaped stomach. She is old, but yesterday was not her day. I was so organized (urn picked out, some rose petals, a toy, bandana, all my rituals)--I wasn't prepared for there to be any options, so I was a bit shocked to bring her home (happy, but shocked). It is bittersweet--I know the time is not long, but I'll take it one day at a time.

CWS4322 said:
It is always hard--but when you know you can't do anything and you don't want the dog to suffer, you find the courage and strength to say goodbye. We don't have to wait for them to die in pain or agony, or with a lose of dignity.

I had to know that the possible mass had grown...it hasn't. I could do an ultrasound, but it could show nothing. And, given her age and breed, I wouldn't do anything any way. So that would be for me. She gets so stressed going for a ride and then at the vet, I just can't put her through that for me. The x-ray confirmed she has an odd-shaped stomach. She is old, but yesterday was not her day. I was so organized (urn picked out, some rose petals, a toy, bandana, all my rituals)--I wasn't prepared for there to be any options, so I was a bit shocked to bring her home (happy, but shocked). It is bittersweet--I know the time is not long, but I'll take it one day at a time.

How is Rosalie doing? And you?

She's fussing at me--but she's always the talker...she is doing much better now that the humidex doesn't have our weather at 40C. Not eating as well as I'd like...working on that.

Okay, I'm a nurse, but finding a 4 year old "sewn" to her apron would have me on the floor in a swoon. I don't deal well with injuries and illness in children...:wacko:

Craig and our early teen daughter (she's in early 30s now) were rough housing one afternoon while I got ready so we could go out on a shopping trip. He had on his gold chain with the anchor charm, that had arrowhead-shaped sharp pointy tips. I'm pretty much ready when he yells to come here. I walk out to the living room and he's kind of bent over with DD hugged up against him tight as can be and isn't letting her go. I get over to them and the anchor is attached to her eyelid, which she has closed, and the sharp pointy tip is sticking out 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so away from where it went in. She's crying of course, he's telling her to keep her eye closed cause A) we don't know if it's in the eye or not. B) if it's not in the eye, we don't want her eyeball damaged. We quickly decide that it has to come out because he basically can't move without tearing the flap of skin holding it besides the fact that she was getting a bit hysterical. So, I very, very gently maneuver the pointy around so I can slide it back under and out, all the while telling her to be absolutely still and not move. Well it comes out very easily actually and I tell her to keep her eye shut. He scoops her up, tells me to get the car keys, I grab an ice bag for her eye to stop/slow down any swelling, he gets in the car holding her in his arms and off we go to the ER.

Happy ending. No eye damage at all and all they did was butterfly the skin flap. You really have to look hard to even see the scars.

The ER doc was more worried about me and Craig than her because I dropped them off at the entrance and he went running in there with her in his arms and didn't want to let her go and I parked the car and came running back as fast as I could go. We were both terribly upset because we were scared to death it had punctured her eye.

To this day, I'm still amazed I was able to slide that thing out besides the fact that she didn't even have a scratch on her eyeball.

Last edited:
Actually, I am incredibly cool and level-headed while an emergency is going on with a child...afterwards, I tend to get hysterical and do odd things like pass out from hyperventilating or have a crying jag.

I'd much rather deal with an adult who has stopped breathing or is bleeding profusely. That I can handle. I spent my Pediatric Rotation in nursing school in tears every night.

With 4 kids I learned to be calm and cool while the incident was in progress, then the doctor would tell us everything was fine and to go home. The minute we pulled into the driveway and got in the door I'd sit down and the tears would come and I'd end a mess with the kids telling me it's okay mommy:LOL: don't cry please.
kades'

With 4 kids I learned to be calm and cool while the incident was in progress, then the doctor would tell us everything was fine and to go home. The minute we pulled into the driveway and got in the door I'd sit down and the tears would come and I'd end a mess with the kids telling me it's okay mommy:LOL: don't cry please.
kades'

My sisters and brother tell me they wish I was around when their kids were sick or hurt and my nephew, now 22, still asks for me when he is sick or hurt. :rolleyes:

My sisters and brother tell me they wish I was around when their kids were sick or hurt and my nephew, now 22, still asks for me when he is sick or hurt. :rolleyes:
They know they can count on you. Loving care to kids is tough at times but they remember it and you for a life time.
kades

i went to joann fabric because of the pattern sale. 1.99 each. i had called in the middle of week, on sale til today. when i got there the sale was over, bogus info. really ticked me off. i had waited till my 50% coupon was valid only because they told me that. luckily mccalls is always 40% off. also found a 2.99 pattern section. i wish employees would be more careful with their info. won't throw the ad away again til i have covered all the sales. i can't afford to sew for the grandkids if i have to pay full price. did get enough fabric for four dresses. one being 40% off and the other 50% off . i am still a bit annoyed.

It used to be we sewed clothes to save money. I can't believe the prices for patterns.

it really is crazy, most are over 10.00 dollars. can't buy many at that price. i try to buy ones that have both sizes i need. however once i cut the smallest one out, then will always be for lilly. still that saves me some money. not saving money but they love em and it keeps me out of the bars. lol

it really is crazy, most are over 10.00 dollars. can't buy many at that price. i try to buy ones that have both sizes i need. however once i cut the smallest one out, then will always be for lilly. still that saves me some money. not saving money but they love em and it keeps me out of the bars. lol

Cut the large pattern out of brown craft paper or newspaper, first...then you have the large pattern. Then cut out the little one.:)

You're a genius, Princess!

Not really, there were three of us girls and one pattern. It was Dad's idea. They were lucky to get two sizes out of a pattern and Dad would then use his drafting tools to make the smallest pattern for my little sister.

Well, looks like I may be out of a job,soon. The restaurant I work at could possibly be closing. Terrible battle going on between the owners. Court litigation and everything. Buisness and family don't mix sometimes. If the current owner leaves, I don't want to stay on, so I may request a lay off. Not that big of problem, though. I have been trying to get out of kitchens for a few years, but they keep dragging me back in. If I do get laid off, I will qualify for retraining. I may look into that. My drumming jobs won't pay the bills over the long term. Looking forward to having the summer off, though. Can always go back to cooking if nothing better comes along..

Last edited:
Well, looks like I may be out of a job,soon. The restaurant I work at could possibly be closing. Terrible battle going on between the owners. Court litigation and everything. Buisness and family don't mix sometimes. If the current owner leaves, I don't want to stay on, so I may request a lay off. Not that big of problem, though. I have been trying to get out of kitchens for a few years, but they keep dragging me back in. If I do get laid off, I will qualify for retraining. I may look into that. My drumming jobs won't pay the bills over the long term. Looking forward to having the summer off, though. Can always go back to cooking if nothing better comes along..

My D-I-L is working under nearly the same conditions at her place. She does billing, insurance, etc. -- Owners of the small business used to be a couple; not any more. Very fractious atmosphere and not sure if the business will survive. She's just going in every day and hoping for the best. That's really tough on employees even in the best of times, let alone these days.

Best of luck, Rocklobster.

Thanks, Stubbs.

I am the only employee who knows anything of the current situation. Everything is up in the air right now. It is a bit stressful, not knowing what exactly I will be doing a few weeks from now. I can't really make any plans because I don't really know exactly how things are going to shake down. Part of me will welcome a lay off, but then again, who wants to be unemployed? I don't want to cook or manage a kitchen anymore if I can help it. Thankfully, I have enough experience to get a job fairly quickly if I really have to. I have plenty of renovation projects around the house to keep me busy, but that takes money, so its catch 22.

Last edited:
Yes my husband has been unemployed for 2 yrs. He gets interview but not hired. So he went to school to get CDL hope he gets something soon. But I have faith in God that he will provide for my family. Bad part is I need t be home with my ADHD child right now. Then again don't want to pay for daycare either.

Back
Top Bottom