"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #371
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Proud of you! You can do it! We are rooting for your success!
Thanks for all the great support !

I do need it for sure.... hubby is not quitting so I am doing this alone with a smoker around !!

The good part though is that a few years back we stopped smoking in the house or car .. so if we wanted a smoke we went outside. So at least that was already in place.

Actually I am doing better than he is ... I think he is waiting for me to break down or go all maniac or something like that.

Anyway .. I do appreciate the words of support .. it's nice to have all of this help

Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #372
Certified Cake Maniac

{{{{{{{{{{{{MrsLMB}}}}}}}}}}}}} I quit while living at home with both parents smoking. You can do it.

My Petty Vent is that whenever I see this title in the feed I think it is the "Panty Vent" Thread!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #373
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Why do parents threaten their young children with strangers??? At the laundromat today, a cute toddler was cranky, obviously tired and ready for a nap. His mother told him to behave or that mean lady, pointing at me, would yell at him and maybe spank him.

GRRRR!!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #374
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Why do parents threaten their young children with strangers??? At the laundromat today, a cute toddler was cranky, obviously tired and ready for a nap. His mother told him to behave or that mean lady, pointing at me, would yell at him and maybe spank him.

GRRRR!!!!

So, did he behave or did you have to yell at him and spank him. Clever improvisation to add the growl at the end.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #375
Master Chef

With me it was that I was to go to a party at an apartment on Main Street, to watch the Halloween parade on Saturday night. There would be little-to-no parking, and we almost always walk. BUT that was before I broke my hip. But I was game, knowing that there were steps and rails the entire way (it is a very steep downhill climb; look up Galena on the internet and picture me walking down that hill). I've walked down a couple of times since the break, but never this particular set of steps. Well, I got to one point and there were two cars parked over the sidewalk. So, instead of the sidewalk, steps, and rail, I had to walk down the middle of the street (otherwise I'd have had to literally jump off and on the sidewalk). I'll admit I'm paranoid about stepping down hill (how I broke the hip to begin with). Then, when I neared the apartment our friends live in, I had another dozen steps. So many people crowded them to sit and watch the parade, that I couldn't use THAT rail. I don't need it for support, more for balance. Anyway, it made it so that I had to walk step-together-step rather than right-left-right (anyone whose had a walking problem knows what I'm saying). I actually asked people to move away from the rail so I could walk and they very rudely ignored me. I finally said, hey you (one woman who wouldn't move over, afraid that I'd steal her primo spot for the parade), "If I fall, I am going to aim for you!" I was so pissed. Had a lovely evening overall, but several very insensitive people made me absolutely exhausted by the time I arrived at the party.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #376
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So, did he behave or did you have to yell at him and spank him. Clever improvisation to add the growl at the end.
That Grr was for his idiot mother. I really don't like to be made out as mean in a child's eyes.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #377
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
With me it was that I was to go to a party at an apartment on Main Street, to watch the Halloween parade on Saturday night. There would be little-to-no parking, and we almost always walk. BUT that was before I broke my hip. But I was game, knowing that there were steps and rails the entire way (it is a very steep downhill climb; look up Galena on the internet and picture me walking down that hill). I've walked down a couple of times since the break, but never this particular set of steps. Well, I got to one point and there were two cars parked over the sidewalk. So, instead of the sidewalk, steps, and rail, I had to walk down the middle of the street (otherwise I'd have had to literally jump off and on the sidewalk). I'll admit I'm paranoid about stepping down hill (how I broke the hip to begin with). Then, when I neared the apartment our friends live in, I had another dozen steps. So many people crowded them to sit and watch the parade, that I couldn't use THAT rail. I don't need it for support, more for balance. Anyway, it made it so that I had to walk step-together-step rather than right-left-right (anyone whose had a walking problem knows what I'm saying). I actually asked people to move away from the rail so I could walk and they very rudely ignored me. I finally said, hey you (one woman who wouldn't move over, afraid that I'd steal her primo spot for the parade), "If I fall, I am going to aim for you!" I was so pissed. Had a lovely evening overall, but several very insensitive people made me absolutely exhausted by the time I arrived at the party.
People are so rude...
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #378
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

That Grr was for his idiot mother. I really don't like to be made out as mean in a child's eyes.
That was so rude of her! I've also seen where kids are threatened with arrest/ jail when there's a cop around. Traumatizing to the child and unfair to the person used as a threat!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #379
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Did you carry a cane Claire?

Even if you didn't, that was unkind of people.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #380
Master Chef

No, I really don't need one any more (yes, I did). If I carried one now I think it would be to smack rude people! I'm trying to get back to normal, and I don't really need a cane any more. If I were to carry one (and, yes, I have one) it would just be for an outward sign for people to get the h#$% out of my way when I ask politely. Usually people in this town are very, very polite and occomodating. But this particular even draws in a lot of people from Chicago who seem to think those of us who live here should just get out of their way.