"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #3861
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...P.S. The water is back on! It's a lovely shade of brown, but it's on!
Glad to hear that! After all, I'm downwind from you.

Isn't it mandatory to "kick the can down the road" if you are in public service? The Boston Transit system is in a serious state of deterioration. Since we moved here in 2000 we've heard "we have to fix this now" in the news ever since. It's so bad with this weather they had to shut it all down for most of this week. Now they are talking about getting revenue from the entire state to fix something that should have been maintained from the fees collected from those who use it. Mostly people within a 20-25ish mile radius of Boston? Between that, the entire state looking to "contribute" to infrastructure for possible Olympics in 2024 and other money-draining issues, I keep reminding Himself that it's really about time we moved back to OH. I fully realize that OH isn't Paradise, it has money issues (but not at bad as MAs), infrastructure issues, etc. BUT at least I can be close to our kids. It will be worth it.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #3862
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Glad to hear that! After all, I'm downwind from you.

Isn't it mandatory to "kick the can down the road" if you are in public service? The Boston Transit system is in a serious state of deterioration. Since we moved here in 2000 we've heard "we have to fix this now" in the news ever since. It's so bad with this weather they had to shut it all down for most of this week. Now they are talking about getting revenue from the entire state to fix something that should have been maintained from the fees collected from those who use it. Mostly people within a 20-25ish mile radius of Boston? Between that, the entire state looking to "contribute" to infrastructure for possible Olympics in 2024 and other money-draining issues, I keep reminding Himself that it's really about time we moved back to OH. I fully realize that OH isn't Paradise, it has money issues (but not at bad as MAs), infrastructure issues, etc. BUT at least I can be close to our kids. It will be worth it.
All of this broken infrastructure can be blamed on The Big Dig. All the monies from the Federal and State taxes that were collected for the maintenance of the Federal highways went instead to Boston for the Big Dig. There was so much overrun on costs that every time they needed money to finish the job, just go down to DC and hold out your hand. They would come back with millions of dollars. So Bea's broken water pipes and the very run down and old trains of the T can be blamed on The Big Dig. And in spite of all the Billions of dollars that it cost to construct this project, there are some very serious problems. One section of a tunnel, still leaks water. They often have to close the tunnel for cleanup. Tiles falling off the ceilings and killing people is an ongoing problem. And on and on.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #3863
Executive Chef

My ink cartridges for my printer are getting empty. I hate buying new ones. They are so expensive!

That's my petty vent for the day.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #3864
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My ink cartridges for my printer are getting empty. I hate buying new ones. They are so expensive!
Reason why I don't have a color printer. I only use monochrome printers. Black cartridges are pretty cheap on Ebay.

When you buy an inexpensive color printer you're paying for the ink, the printer is free....
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #3865
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Reason why I don't have a color printer. I only use monochrome printers. Black cartridges are pretty cheap on Ebay.

When you buy an inexpensive color printer you're paying for the ink, the printer is free....
Interesting approach. Everything is various shades of gray.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #3866
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Can I join you with your petty vent? My printer takes four cartridges for the printer and four more for pictures. I cringe when I have to buy cartridges. I just may break down into a deep sob.

Staples has the program where you turn in so many empty ones and you get credit towards your next purchase. Spike and I combined ours and much to my surprise, my whole purchase was free.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:01 AM   #3867
Sous Chef

I work in retail and a woman brought a box of diapers in for a refund at the service desk. They had been opened, and when I asked if they were defective, she said, "Yeah they are! Look at this." Then she plopped a USED diaper on the counter and said, "They leak! That's so nasty!"

Wow.......just wow. Twenty-five years in the Army never prepared me for retail.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:31 AM   #3868
Master Chef

Just wanted to pop in here.....don't often, for good reason. For today, I'm well and so is everyone else I love. Life is so much better than it could be, or has been.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 AM   #3869
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
..Everything is various shades of gray.
From what I've heard, there are fifty shades of it.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:20 AM   #3870
Master Chef

Quote:

Himself has resorted to refilling them himself (not too sloppy, or else he's very neat) and also ordering the replacements by mail. You send them empty ones in a self-mailer, they send full ones back. The company he has used is Printpal :: Discount Printer Ink Cartridges, Toners & DVD SuperStore. If you do "/coupons" at the end of the address you might be able to get an additional 10% off.