"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #391
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And if one is feeling snarky enough, one can whack someone with the cane.

I have thought about bringing mine with me when I take the bus, but I'm afraid I might lose it. Most people don't think I look my age (62), so they don't stand up for me unless I ask, and not always if I do. I really don't want to stand up on the bus because I have osteoporosis and I don't want to get knocked down or to fall.
I have to give our transit system some kudos. If an elderly or handicap person gets on the bus, the driver will make someone give up their seat if none is available. Rather than be tossed off the bus, they do it. There are signs on all transit equipment, that the law states certain seats are for the elderly and handicap. They must be surrendered when asked or the need is there. It is the young folks that seem to be oblivious to the situation. Or they can't read.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #392
Everymom

Dang it! My sweet daughter got a great bargain on a pair of shorts I'd like to take on our cruise but they look like they've been painted on me when I put them on. NOT attractive. I either have to lose a few pounds (likely a good idea anyway) or leave the shorts behind. Phooey.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #393
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Dang it! My sweet daughter got a great bargain on a pair of shorts I'd like to take on our cruise but they look like they've been painted on me when I put them on. NOT attractive. I either have to lose a few pounds (likely a good idea anyway) or leave the shorts behind. Phooey.

If your daughter is going to continue buying clothes you'd like to wear, you should fatten her up a bit so you can 'borrow' her stuff.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #394
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If your daughter is going to continue buying clothes you'd like to wear, you should fatten her up a bit so you can 'borrow' her stuff.
It would take a LOT of fattening. She wears a 2 or a 4 and I wear a 14. Ah the joys of youth! I should have mentioned she bought the shorts FOR me. Stupid me eating all that yummy food and making my butt fat. Sheesh.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #395
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Did the store have a deal on your size too?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #396
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to give our transit system some kudos. If an elderly or handicap person gets on the bus, the driver will make someone give up their seat if none is available. Rather than be tossed off the bus, they do it. There are signs on all transit equipment, that the law states certain seats are for the elderly and handicap. They must be surrendered when asked or the need is there. It is the young folks that seem to be oblivious to the situation. Or they can't read.
We have all those signs all over as well, but I find that unless I have my cane, no one will offer a seat. I don't look 54 and I don't think even if I did they would give me a seat. Once I forgot my cane and showed this guy who was in a designated seat my Handypass and he said he could have one of those made up too and went back to texting on his phone. I did get a seat, but not one comfortable for my leg. This was on the rapid transit train where there are no drivers and rarely any staff at all.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #397
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We have all those signs all over as well, but I find that unless I have my cane, no one will offer a seat. I don't look 54 and I don't think even if I did they would give me a seat. Once I forgot my cane and showed this guy who was in a designated seat my Handypass and he said he could have one of those made up too and went back to texting on his phone. I did get a seat, but not one comfortable for my leg. This was on the rapid transit train where there are no drivers and rarely any staff at all.
We have cameras on all our equipment. And there is someone in Central Control watching the monitors. They can and do call the driver or conductor of the bus or train and let them know immediately that there is a problem. Also the transit police are everywhere. So they respond really fast to a problem.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #398
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Our weather here is almost identical to yours. Friend of mine that lives in Sydney says it feels just like here. She forgets sometimes she's not home until someone speaks and the accent reminds her
It is just amazing, the similarities of the 2 places
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #399
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
It is just amazing, the similarities of the 2 places
I wonder what all influenced those similarities sometimes? Both countries were under British rule, both have many English, Irish, French etc immigrants. Must be all the outside cutural influences?!
Well I'm half Irish, bit of a pavement special really

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #400
Everymom

This may turn into a major vent. Its been a stupid week! Monday night, received a NASTY steam burn on my hand. BAD one. Treated it with cold water, aloe and let it be. Blistered up nicely. I left it alone, although the temptation nearly got me.

Yesterday, horrible migraine (weather related likely) and went home from work. Slept all day, felt better. Went to hug DH when he got home and ripped off the ginormous blister! GROSS! Polysporin but no bandage big enough in the house. LOTS of polysporin. Went to work, found BIG bandage and more polysporin.

Later today, hand aching...some swelling but no redness or heat. Went to doc for meds. He wrapped the crap out of my hand. I could have been a mummy! LOL. Taking antibiotics now, but took off giant bandage and put a big stick on bandaid on it.

Whine! Whimper! My arm hurts! Stupid infection. If this gets worse and messes up my trip I'm going to be über ticked off.