"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2015, 09:33 AM   #4131
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Z, where are those ads showing up? What browser do you use? There may be a setting. Getting rid of the empty frames may be harder or impossible.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #4132
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use firefox with adblock plus, Taxy. The ads show up in the space between the line near the top starting with User CP and before the Post Reply button.

This started about a month or two ago and is very annoying. It seems to me that I remember that there was a place where I could tell Google they weren't allowed to use my information. I can't think where to look. Any help would be really great!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #4133
Executive Chef

PF, I don't recall what site I was trying to use the last time I tried to do taxes online last year. It said it was free, but when I got to the end it said I owed $19.95. This time I was going to use Turbo Tax Free Site but then decided to go to the AARP to have them do it. They are trying to recruit me to take the tax course they offer and become a volunteer. I'm considering that, but have until next year to decide.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #4134
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
PF, I don't recall what site I was trying to use the last time I tried to do taxes online last year. It said it was free, but when I got to the end it said I owed $19.95. This time I was going to use Turbo Tax Free Site but then decided to go to the AARP to have them do it. They are trying to recruit me to take the tax course they offer and become a volunteer. I'm considering that, but have until next year to decide.
If you do decide to do it, just be prepared to give up a lot of your free time. Specially during the last week. It should be interesting. The only thing is Himself might have you doing your own taxes forever. And start teaching Himself how to cook. When you come home you expect a hot meal on the table. But don't be surprised if he carts you off to "The Home"! He will tell you that they serve hot meals every day. You already have him doing all of the vacuuming. Get him a pretty apron with ruffles. If he rebels, tell him it was some crazy member of DC that made all these suggestions. Just don't give him my name.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #4135
Executive Chef

No, Addie, they said you are only required to give 4 hours per week, it's up to you. They said they really need volunteers. If they would just do the taxes and not BS so much with everyone, they would have enough people! Also, once you finish the course, if you decide you don't want to volunteer, that's your choice. I think this is the definition of the word "volunteer."

And DH does half of the cooking already. He's a good cook!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #4136
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I sort of volunteered one year. It's a program run by the Quebec and Federal governments. I took the course. Then, I found out that I would have to fill in the returns on paper. I would not be allowed to use my professional tax software, which by the way, has a tick mark that the tax return were prepared through the volunteer program. I was still willing to do a bit, but they never had anything when I had time.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #4137
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
No, Addie, they said you are only required to give 4 hours per week, it's up to you. They said they really need volunteers. If they would just do the taxes and not BS so much with everyone, they would have enough people! Also, once you finish the course, if you decide you don't want to volunteer, that's your choice. I think this is the definition of the word "volunteer."

And DH does half of the cooking already. He's a good cook!
Well then, I say go for it. It will get you out of the house and you may just make a bunch of new friends. I would love to do volunteer work. But I can't walk more than about fifty feet. And I hate to keep asking for someone to drive me and pick me up. We do have a Senior Shuttle that is free. But it is mainly for the elderly that have doctors appointments and shopping. Heck, four hours will go by so fast, you will see yourself staying there more than four hours without even realizing it.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #4138
Executive Chef

This group only does online returns. There go to several local towns, but you get to choose which area you want, regardless of their need. They have it 4 hours each Tuesday and Thursday. I don't know if they go to other areas on the other days. I think it's a good idea to help people, but I don't know if I would trust myself not to make a mistake. It is supposed to be only for persons over 65, low to moderate income, and there are certain returns with certain categories that they will not do. Also, you have no personal responsibility if you make a mistake. AARP takes the responsibility. But I would stll feel bad if I screwed up someone's taxes.

It is supposed to be from 9-1, but there were some volunteers who came in early, around 7 and started on anyone who was there early to get in line. Once they have enough people in the door they close it, with a sign that says come back the next day. People line up early. So they let some people come in early, then other volunteers came in at 9. We got there at 8 and were 5th in line, and each volunteer already had someone at their desk.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #4139
Certified Pretend Chef

I've always done my own taxes. An offshoot of my accounting background. Every year I buy TurboTax at Costco and go from there. This year I couldn't load TurboTax on my Mac because my operating system is too old! So I went online to the TT website and completed my taxes through the website.

I took the TT I bought back to Costco for a refund. I took a copy of the email confirming my online purchase for evidence. Got a full credit. The CS person told me she didn't care about the email, I was getting a refund anyway.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #4140
Master Chef

I've been using Turbo Tax Deluxe for my personal returns for several years. Starting 2014 they stopped including Schedule D, among other common schedules as well so I had to return the Deluxe and move up one level to their Premier Edition. Massive negative reviews for TT on Amazon for this unannounced change.