"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #431
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
TL, I realize that Canada's laws are different from ours. But here in the section of Boston where I live. we have one way streets galore. Most residents that find themselves one house up from the corner will still go the wrong way IF traffice allows. Or they will just backup IF traffice allows. The police know this and ignore it. In the years I have been living here, I have never seen an accident when the residents do this. The block my daughter lives on has one side of her block two houses longer on the opposite side from her. And it is a one way street. You get to see some interesting driving.

Do you think you can get away with doing either one? I sure hope so. It will go easier on your gas tank and nerves.

And hang in there. Stirling will be back before you know it. Just give him a big hug and lots of good food.

I never thought of backing up or going the wrong way. That would actually not be that unusual here in Quebec.

But, I'm the kind of driver who comes to a full stop at a stop sign, even late at night. It would probably be harder on my nerves to go the wrong way.

I'm trying to figure out that good food. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #432
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

I never thought of backing up or going the wrong way. That would actually not be that unusual here in Quebec.

But, I'm the kind of driver who comes to a full stop at a stop sign, even late at night. It would probably be harder on my nerves to go the wrong way.

I'm trying to figure out that good food. Thanks for the suggestion.
A big bowl of the Hamburger Soup with some peasant bread for sopping up.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #433
Chef Extraordinaire

TL, my second husband was a commercial fisherman and he would be gone for 15 days or longer. If I saw him four days out of each month, that was a lot. I got so used to hme bing gone that when he did come home, I found it hard to adjust. I always thought of his presence as an intrusion in my schedule.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #434
Chef Extraordinaire

I got an automated call from the city today, telling me about the one way biz on our street, starting 15 November. They said it was so we can park on both sides of the street. That certainly mitigates the situation. I almost never park on the street (I have indoor parking). However, it should make it much easier for friends and clients to find a parking spot nearby.

The sign at the corner didn't mention the change in parking regulations.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #435
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
To me this is a huge vent but i know when i get it out i will feel better. mostly it it a "feeling sorry for myself" more than a vent.

i have been typing for over 35 years and am down to three or fingers and looking at the keys. i know i will be spell checking this too. Now i am also not able to talk because things are stuck in my throat but doctors say nothing wrong - they agree it is not my acid reflux as they see the scarring but nothing they can do.

On top of that the arthritis in my back doesn't allow for much sitting or standing but fibromyalgia doesn't allow for lying down much - clothes, bedsheets, anything on my skin hurts.

i know i have mentioned this before and others have far worse but communicating is a big thing for me. I guess I am just having a hard time accepting it will get worse.

Finally, this has taken me over 15 minutes to type where it should be under a minute!
I am so sorry for your pain. I hope today is a good day.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #436
Master Chef

why must people call & say, 'i'm on my way over', rather than see if it's okay if they visit~ could be that i'm preoccupied, or, as with this afternoon, leaving.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #437
Everymom

The snow plows are coming! That's the "YAY!" the "BOO!" is that I had to run out into the street to move Bugs' car onto the driveway so it doesn't get plowed in.

Did I mention I'm still in my nightie? Eeek!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #438
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
The snow plows are coming! That's the "YAY!" the "BOO!" is that I had to run out into the street to move Bugs' car onto the driveway so it doesn't get plowed in.

Did I mention I'm still in my nightie? Eeek!
Ah yes, the joys of winter. Do the snowplow guys announce that they are there with a very loud horn or siren?

You reminded me of scenes from movies/TV from the '60s. A bunch of housewives would drive their hubbies to the train dressed in nightie and coat and sometimes, curlers.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #439
Everymom

There is a website you can check, but in this case, Ken was out walking the dog and saw them. He called me to move the vehicles.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #440
Executive Chef

Oh Alix, my mom used to go out in her night gown and bare feet in the snow to start the car for my dad. Never could figure out why she didn't just get dressed to do her good deed.