"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #4441
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,004
I was putting the water in the microwave to heat for my morning instant coffee (sorry, coffee-lovers -- I know that's painful to think of for you professional coffee-drinkers) when I noticed that the clock on the m/w wasn't lit. So I unplugged the m/w and moved it to another socket on the counter. Still nothing and now the under-the-counter light doesn't work. Moved it again and plugged it into the outlet where the radio (which was playing) was plugged in. Silence - killed the radio - and no light on the m/w. So now what? I suppose if I moved it I could kill another outlet and I'm afraid to try. I tried pushing the GFI button to no effect.

Can m/w's be repaired? It's only a year or so old - small and medium-priced, but still hope there's something to be done. I might should have put this in the "tips for home and kitchen," but I just hogged that thread with another (smaller) problem. Ideas, clever and resourceful folk? At this point I can't conceive life without a microwave.
__________________

__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #4442
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I was putting the water in the microwave to heat for my morning instant coffee (sorry, coffee-lovers -- I know that's painful to think of for you professional coffee-drinkers) when I noticed that the clock on the m/w wasn't lit. So I unplugged the m/w and moved it to another socket on the counter. Still nothing and now the under-the-counter light doesn't work. Moved it again and plugged it into the outlet where the radio (which was playing) was plugged in. Silence - killed the radio - and no light on the m/w. So now what? I suppose if I moved it I could kill another outlet and I'm afraid to try. I tried pushing the GFI button to no effect.

Can m/w's be repaired? It's only a year or so old - small and medium-priced, but still hope there's something to be done. I might should have put this in the "tips for home and kitchen," but I just hogged that thread with another (smaller) problem. Ideas, clever and resourceful folk? At this point I can't conceive life without a microwave.
Did you trip the breaker, Tin? Check the box in the basement. And if your micro is only a year or so old, it might still be under warrenty. If you saved the receipt, you might be able to take it back and exchange it. I think MWs can be repaired, but if it's tripping your breaker, I would have an electrician look at it.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #4443
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,004
Thanks, Dawg. I'll go out right now and look.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #4444
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,004
Right on, Dawg! One of the breakers was in that half and half position, so I flipped it to the left then back to the right -- on, like all the others. However, as I had walked past the phone (also on the kitchen counter) on the way to the box, the phone light was off, too. I hadn't noticed that. So on the way back, yippee, the phone light was back on. Then I plugged the radio back into its outlet. Yippee #2. But when I took the radio over to the original offending outlet and plugged it in - nada. Likewise the under-the-counter light in that corner still doesn't work. Hope you're still there, Dawg. What do I do next?
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #4445
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,469
Did you check the other breakers?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #4446
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,004
They were all lined up, Andy, and other stuff still works.

Sigh. My kids are picking me up to go have lunch today and it's time to leave. May some miracle occur while I'm gone and everything's back to normal when I get back.

Meanwhile, thanks for yours, Dawg's and any and all other suggestions.

Chow.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #4447
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,568
Glad some work, Tin! Maybe try flipping the other switches back and forth. You might try plugging the MW into a heavy-duty outlet, like the one for your stove, fridge, or washing machine if you can reach it, to see if it works. Just a thought, but the MW may be too powerful for the regular outlets. I'm no electrician, someone else will know better.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #4448
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Glad some work, Tin! Maybe try flipping the other switches back and forth. You might try plugging the MW into a heavy-duty outlet, like the one for your stove, fridge, or washing machine if you can reach it, to see if it works. Just a thought, but the MW may be too powerful for the regular outlets. I'm no electrician, someone else will know better.
The 220 outlet may be too powerful for the microwave! I think that could be dangerous to try. Also, the plugs are different.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #4449
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post

The 220 outlet may be too powerful for the microwave! I think that could be dangerous to try. Also, the plugs are different.
Told ya I wasn't an electrician!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #4450
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,904
The Microwave may have blown the outlets, you may need to replace outlets and microwave. I don't play with electricity...I leave that to electricians.
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.