"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #4441
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

PF mentioned that her internet service would be limited to her mom's house for awhile, so she'd be checking in very sporadically.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #4442
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
PF mentioned that her internet service would be limited to her mom's house for awhile, so she'd be checking in very sporadically.
Yeah, I know, but I still miss seeing her here.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #4443
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, I know, but I still miss seeing her here.

We all do!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #4444
Master Chef

Yeah, things are a little less magical with PF being incommunicado. I'm sure hoping that everything is moving along smoothly so they can get into that new house she showed us, get settled, and GET INTERNET!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #4445
Master Chef

I miss PF too.

I wish I could lug some boxes or wash some windows to help her get settled!

Trust me, I don't have those thoughts very often or for very many people!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #4446
Master Chef

My rant might seem trivial to many, but to me is important. At one time, vulgar language was owned by persons who generally worked in hard-labor invironments, such as the military, contruction, and mostly by males. This has changed over the years. Our language speaks to the world what kind of people we are.

One phrase in particular has bothered me for many years. That phrase is - "This sucks!"

I was in the military as a young man when I first heard it. But it wasn't in the truncated form that is spoken by the majority of our common society today. I knew the whole phrase, and at that time, when I hadn't yet chosen to be the man I am now, I swore and used vulgarities like a sailor. Then again, I was a sailor.

There are so many better ways to say that we don't like a situation than to use that phrase. In my opinion, when I have found myself using it, I have felt like I just dropped an f-bomb. I chose to improve my language, and quit using such phrases, and quit swearing almost forty years ago. It's a personal bar I set for myself. I just wish everyone would set a similar bar for themselves, not to be better than anyone else, just to be better.

There, I said it. I hope no one thinks I'm being preachy. That's not my intent. I just needed to take a stand against one of the many things that debase us.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #4447
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
My rant might seem trivial to many, but to me is important. At one time, vulgar language was owned by persons who generally worked in hard-labor invironments, such as the military, contruction, and mostly by males. This has changed over the years. Our language speaks to the world what kind of people we are.

One phrase in particular has bothered me for many years. That phrase is - "This sucks!"

I was in the military as a young man when I first heard it. But it wasn't in the truncated form that is spoken by the majority of our common society today. I knew the whole phrase, and at that time, when I hadn't yet chosen to be the man I am now, I swore and used vulgarities like a sailor. Then again, I was a sailor.

There are so many better ways to say that we don't like a situation than to use that phrase. In my opinion, when I have found myself using it, I have felt like I just dropped an f-bomb. I chose to improve my language, and quit using such phrases, and quit swearing almost forty years ago. It's a personal bar I set for myself. I just wish everyone would set a similar bar for themselves, not to be better than anyone else, just to be better.

There, I said it. I hope no one thinks I'm being preachy. That's not my intent. I just needed to take a stand against one of the many things that debase us.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I hear ya Chief, loud and clear. No, you are not being preachy. Many years ago I adopted the slang (if you can call it that) words of dag nab it, dang, and other words of this nature. We didn't swear in my home. Yet when my kids got out into the world and on their own, they can make a sailor blush. Growing up, Poo would tell his friends not to swear before he would bring them in the house. My mother hates it and won't allow it in her home. As a result after seeing some of their friends along with themselves, getting tossed out the door and not allowed back in until an apology came forth. They learned to not swear in my home. Today along with his three siblings, they all swear. In my home and think nothing of it. I am so tired of correcting them.

And now, dang it, I find myself when I get mad at them, swearing right back at them in their own language. It is a language that is contagious. Being in the business world during my working days, I was afraid to develop the habit of swearing. It doesn't go over too big in an office of professionals.

We have a resident here in the building that has one of the filthiest mouths you will ever hear. Everyone cringes when she is talking. But in her defense, I owe her a lot. Hearing her, I now know how I sound. Hearing a man swear is or can be unnerving. Hearing a woman do it, makes your blood curdle and crawl. So now you will hear my dab nab it, dang thing, and other really strong words from me.

I had a neighbor who told of one day when he was in the service. He was in the mess hall and asked to have the f--k salt passed down to his end of the table. An officer was just walking by and asked him what kind of salt? My neighbor felt his face go beet red. The officer told him they don't serve that kind of salt in this branch of the service. They save that salt for the Marines. He got the message loud and clear. As a result, he never developed the habit of swearing like a Marine.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #4448
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My mother almost never swore. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts." On the rare occasion that she did swear, everyone knew that she was really, really angry and it made the point.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #4449
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My mother almost never swore. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts." On the rare occasion that she did swear, everyone knew that she was really, really angry and it made the point.
I once read an article that stated folks who persist in swearing usually have a small vocabulary. And they are poor readers. Makes sense to me. They lack the ability to find the right word that fits in the situation of the moment.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #4450
Master Chef

I can handle swearing here and there. What really chaps me is hearing people out in public places throwing f bombs around (and worse) without a second thought to those around them. Last Sunday morning I was in the grocery store and a young woman was on her cell phone, practically yelling on it, f this and that - completely oblivious to the families with young children right next to her. She could be heard from the next aisle. Pretty disgusting behavior, IMO.