Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My MINI CooperS doesn't have a spare tire. It came from the factory with run-flats, which we car enthusiasts call "run rocks," because they ride and handle like Flintstones tires. I don't have those anymore.

If I get a flat, I either have to plug it on the side of the road, or if it isn't roadside repairable, call a tow truck. So far, it hasn't happened.

CD

I have the sneaky feeling that no longer providing a spare as part of the purchase price was started by AAA.

I have the sneaky feeling that no longer providing a spare as part of the purchase price was started by AAA.

Addie, the theory is this:

Automakers are forced by law to increase their average fleet MPG significantly over the next decade. Electric and dual fuel cars go a long way towards doing that. Another major factor is weight reduction. A lighter car can achieve higher MPG than a heavier car, all other things being equal. Eliminating the tire and jack is a significant weight reduction.

I don't think AAA has the clout to get that done in the auto industry.

My spares have been in a well in the trunks of my current Honda, and my previous Fords, covered by the trunk mat. When/if I get another new/used car, I'll have to make sure there's a spare. I've had to use them a few times over the years.

I've had luck using those pressurized flat tire repair canisters for quick sealing of slow leaks and small punctures. They'll partially inflate and seal the puncture just enough to get you home.

I live in an area with very hard water. How come they don't make laundry detergent pods with a little water softener in them? There's almost zero sudsing. I'm going to buy some Calgon and add it before the wash. It seems to me some company could just add a little water softener to their laundry detergent pods and promote them as such for use in hard water areas. :huh: :ermm: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Addie, the theory is this:

Automakers are forced by law to increase their average fleet MPG significantly over the next decade. Electric and dual fuel cars go a long way towards doing that. Another major factor is weight reduction. A lighter car can achieve higher MPG than a heavier car, all other things being equal. Eliminating the tire and jack is a significant weight reduction.

I don't think AAA has the clout to get that done in the auto industry.

Nope, it just doesn't fit in the car.

CD

I live in an area with very hard water. How come they don't make laundry detergent pods with a little water softener in them? There's almost zero sudsing. I'm going to buy some Calgon and add it before the wash. It seems to me some company could just add a little water softener to their laundry detergent pods and promote them as such for use in hard water areas. :huh: :ermm: :rolleyes:

Today's detergents no longer produce suds. Once automatic washers hit the market, folks found that the suds were leaving soap scum on the inside of the machine. So they changed the formula. I remember when they changed it, the TV ads stated how good they were for your machine. "Your washing machine's life will increase two fold."

I also remember when I had my Whirpool, I used to have to lift up the whole top to scrub the scum off with a Brillo pad. The Calgon should help. But you really don't want suds. It will lessen the life of your machine.

So, do you think they designed a car and forgot to make room for a spare so they decided to leave it out?

Some MINIs have spares, but not the CooperS, which is the "hot rod" of the family. The base model MINI Coopers have spares hanging underneath the car, in front of the back bumper, but the more performance oriented suspension and exhaust system on the CooperS makes that impossible. The base MINI donut spare also wouldn't clear the larger brakes on the CooperS.

There are a couple of companies that make compact spares for the CooperS, but you have to stow them in the small cargo area behind the back seat -- a PITA.

CD

Today's detergents no longer produce suds. Once automatic washers hit the market, folks found that the suds were leaving soap scum on the inside of the machine. So they changed the formula. I remember when they changed it, the TV ads stated how good they were for your machine. "Your washing machine's life will increase two fold."

What? That's weird. My washer and detergent make suds. What are you talking about?

Some MINIs have spares, but not the CooperS, which is the "hot rod" of the family. The base model MINI Coopers have spares hanging underneath the car, in front of the back bumper, but the more performance oriented suspension and exhaust system on the CooperS makes that impossible. The base MINI donut spare also wouldn't clear the larger brakes on the CooperS.

There are a couple of companies that make compact spares for the CooperS, but you have to stow them in the small cargo area behind the back seat -- a PITA.

CD
So you're only talking about the make and model car you have? You should make that clear.

What? That's weird. My washer and detergent make suds. What are you talking about?

When I said I see almost zero suds, I meant zero sudsing going on...none! I'm gonna add some Calgon next wash and see if notice even a tiny bit of suds. :LOL:

I emailed Tide and suggested they develop a pod with some water softener in it and target it to their customers with hard water. ;) :cool:

No reply from Tide yet. :ermm: :LOL:

Last edited:
When I said I see almost zero suds, I meant zero sudsing going on...none! I'm gonna add some Calgon next wash and see if notice even a tiny bit of suds. :LOL:

I emailed Tide and suggested they develop a pod with some water softener in it and target it to their customers with hard water. ;) :cool:

No reply from Tide yet. :ermm: :LOL:

I think you just may be onto something if they use your suggestion. I hope they feel generous with their pockets for your suggestion and use it.

I switch between Gain and Tide. I used to have an internet friend that was a Chemical Engineer for Tide. She is the one that told me about the scum problem. So that is when Tide and a few other makers changed their formula.

She also told the group that I was in, that Tide is harder, due to the chemicals in the product, on your clothes. When they were working on a new formula, the word came down from the front office to make it strong. She made the smart remark, "Strong enough to melt the corpse so there is no evidence?" She almost got fired for saying that.

When I washed laundry in Texas, the water was real hard. It left rust marks on all my laundry. That is when I started to take it to the local laundry mart because they had a water softener in their system. No more rust marks.

I hope something comes of your brilliant suggestion to Tide.

Back
Top Bottom