Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about a month and a half for Shrek to have a bladder mass removed...meanwhile blood and urine and a non-compliant Ogre that I want to strangle most days? And this was just the doctor runaround.

Obama care has done this....I miss the old days...

I'm sorry about your troubles, but since you have insurance through your employer, I don't understand how you can blame it on the Affordable Care Act, which is about extending access to health insurance to people who didn't have it at all before. The fact that your insurance company doesn't want to pay for expensive surgery is not due to the law.

I sure don't miss the old days, when I felt locked into my job because I have pre-existing conditions that started when I was 12 years old. I was lucky that my insurance didn't have annual or lifetime caps or I wouldn't be here today. I have a friend whose cousin developed AIDS in the old days. When he got too sick to work, he lost his job and his insurance and died because emergency rooms don't provide care for chronic health issues. The old days were pretty brutal for a lot of people.

Last edited:
LOL, skillet, plastic is plastic. If it is for recycling they will accept it. If not they will soon post a sign to say what is and is not,...

and ps... there is no such thing as a stupid question... there may be a stupid answer, but not a stupid question... think about it...

Actually, there are several kinds of plastics and not all of them are recyclable everywhere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic

I'm sorry about your troubles, but since you have insurance through your employer, I don't understand how you can blame it on the Affordable Care Act, which is about extending access to health insurance to people who didn't have it at all before. The fact that your insurance company doesn't want to pay for expensive surgery is not due to the law.

I sure don't miss the old days, when I felt locked into my job because I have pre-existing conditions that started when I was 12 years old. I was lucky that my insurance didn't have annual or lifetime caps or I wouldn't be here today. I have a friend whose cousin developed AIDS in the old days. When he got too sick to work, he lost his job and his insurance and died because emergency rooms don't provide care for chronic health issues. The old days were pretty brutal for a lot of people.
All businesses that have more than ten employees must get there health insurance from the Affordable Health Care Act. So 99% of people that have insurance fall under this category. Because companies like Aetna, have to abide by the AHCA guidelines, many have closed shop (in fact Aetna was threatening to do so less than six months ago), or severely cut services and increased premiums. My premiums have increased by 100% in three years. I've been in healthcare for 28 years and the only people I see benefiting from this disaster are those with no jobs and no money. What really upsets me is people of modest income who can't afford these new "affordable care" premiums. So by the time I see them, they are paying out of pocket for an office visit...need such extensive care they will never be able to afford...most of them diabetics with foot ulcers that are now looking at amputations. So they lose their jobs, go on welfare and THEN and ONLY then can they get the care they need. Was the preexisting condition a fault in the system? Yes, but other than that, I see no advantage for working class people with this system.

How about a month and a half for Shrek to have a bladder mass removed...meanwhile blood and urine and a non-compliant Ogre that I want to strangle most days? And this was just the doctor runaround.
If you are still waiting for this, send me a private message and I will show you how to get things moving. Most people don't know that they have every right to intervene with the insurance companies...doctor's offices can't possible dedicate the time required to get things done. Once I realized that Aetna and Evicore were giving different stories about what was needed, I decided to tape record the conversation for my own accuracy and a legal record. When I informed Aetna I was taping them I was told I could not.
"Why, your taping ME?"
"It's our policy"
"There is no such policy in my contract...what is the reference number of this policy or, the name of the policy manual and page number"
"Are you recording this conversation?"
"I want to know why I CANT record this conversation"
"It's our policy"
This went on for 30 minutes and then he hung up on me. I found out later that NY is a one party consent state when it comes to tape recordings, not only do I not need their permission, I don't even have to tell them I'm taping them. I have taped every conversation since.
If I can help I am happy to do so.

All businesses that have more than ten employees must get there health insurance from the Affordable Health Care Act. So 99% of people that have insurance fall under this category.

No. All businesses that have more than ten employees must provide insurance to their employees. The ACA does not provide insurance. It regulates the insurance market, requires that essential benefits be covered, encourages cost-saving measures like electronic medical records, and provides subsidies to help poor people afford coverage. It is not an insurance provider.

Because companies like Aetna, have to abide by the AHCA guidelines, many have closed shop (in fact Aetna was threatening to do so less than six months ago), or severely cut services and increased premiums. My premiums have increased by 100% in three years. I've been in healthcare for 28 years and the only people I see benefiting from this disaster are those with no jobs and no money. What really upsets me is people of modest income who can't afford these new "affordable care" premiums. So by the time I see them, they are paying out of pocket for an office visit...need such extensive care they will never be able to afford...most of them diabetics with foot ulcers that are now looking at amputations. So they lose their jobs, go on welfare and THEN and ONLY then can they get the care they need. Was the preexisting condition a fault in the system? Yes, but other than that, I see no advantage for working class people with this system.

The AHCA is one of the new laws they're trying to pass. It's not what we're operating under now.

There are lots of advantages for working people with this system. You have to look at the whole picture, not just a few individual situations. Premium costs were going up by 20-30 or more percent per year before the ACA. That's on the insurance companies, not the law.

Junk insurance where people found out when they needed help it wasn't covered was common "before." Millions of people who couldn't afford it before now have it and it actually covers a range of benefits that people need. I am no longer a working person; I am a disabled person on my working husband's health insurance. If an annual and/or lifetime cap is placed on our insurance, I will be in big trouble. Like life-threatening trouble. So the ACA provides a huge benefit to us and others like me.

A lot of the problems with the ACA are because some members of the party that believes health care is a privilege reserved for those who can pay for it have done a lot to sabotage it.

Last edited:
No. All businesses that have more than ten employees must provide insurance to their employees. The ACA does not provide insurance. It regulates the insurance market, requires that essential benefits be covered, encourages cost-saving measures like electronic medical records, and provides subsidies to help poor people afford coverage. It is not an insurance provider.

The AHCA is one of the new laws they're trying to pass. It's not what we're operating under now.

There are lots of advantages for working people with this system. You have to look at the whole picture, not just a few individual situations. Premium costs were going up by 20-30 or more percent per year before the ACA. That's on the insurance companies, not the law.

Junk insurance where people found out when they needed help it wasn't covered was common "before." Millions of people who couldn't afford it before now have it and it actually covers a range of benefits that people need. I am no longer a working person; I am a disabled person on my working husband's health insurance. If an annual and/or lifetime cap is placed on our insurance, I will be in big trouble. Like life-threatening trouble. So the ACA provides a huge benefit to us and others like me.

A lot of the problems with the ACA are because some members of the party that believes health care is a privilege reserved for those who can pay for it have done a lot to sabotage it.

Sorry but your mistaken. Here's a quote directly from the Obama Care fact page:
ObamaCare health insurance rules dictate the minimum standards of all health insurance plans sold off and on the exchange.

I've been dealing with this as a medical professional and a consumer...health care has NEVER been this bad. I left a prestigious hospital job because I watched patients die because the hospitals were trying to save money as a result of the poor reimbursement and regulations of Obama care.

Last edited:
Sorry but your mistaken. Here's a quote directly from the Obama Care fact page:
ObamaCare health insurance rules dictate the minimum standards of all health insurance plans sold off and on the exchange.

What am I mistaken about? I said the ACA *regulates* health insurance. That's what the minimum standards are: regulations. You said the ACA *provides* health insurance. It does not. Health insurance companies, Medicare and Medicaid do that.

I've been dealing with this as a medical professional and a consumer...health care has NEVER been this bad. I left a prestigious hospital job because I watched patients die because the hospitals were trying to save money as a result of the poor reimbursement and regulations of Obama care.

Your experience does not mean that other people cannot be knowledgeable about the same topic. What your experience missed is all the people who sickened and died from untreated chronic illness before the ACA was passed because they never saw a doctor or went into the hospital to begin with. Doctors and hospitals were poorly reimbursed by Medicaid long before the ACA.

Last edited:
What am I mistaken about? I said the ACA *regulates* health insurance. That's what the minimum standards are: regulations. You said the ACA *provides* health insurance. It does not. Health insurance companies, Medicare and Medicaid do that.

All insurance is regulated by Obama care. They call the shots, they make the rules. They own them lock stock and barrel. If you want to mince words, they don't provide the care, they just dictate the care you get and how much it will cost because of that regulation. Medicare and Medicaid are hundreds of billions in debt and unsustainable because the government is in charge and there is no incentive to streamline. Private insurance (if done correctly not with the big three companies calling the shots but true competition) creates competition in both price and service.
I'm sure the party you were bashing was either the republicans or conservatives, I have no party affiliation...I call it like I see it.
The reason most docs won't take Medicare or Medicaid is that they can't afford to. The reimbursement is so low it won't cover malpractice, office space, staff ect...
If just once, the government could demonstrate that they could effectively manage ANY large funded social services program...Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, Food Stamps, Social Security...they might have a valid argument. But not ONE of these programs are sustainable or well managed. ALL of these programs are in massive debt.
I'm also a veteran who has submitted an initiative to my state senator to get Vets with PTSD and TBI (traumatic brain injury) properly diagnosed and treated so DON'T even get me started on the VA cause the corruption and incompetence in that government entity is beyond belief.
I did not vote for Trump, but he is now my commander in chief and I want him to succeed. The reason he got elected is because even the least educated American can clearly see that the government is incompetent when it comes to social services and they are hoping an outsider experienced in business will do a better job and have better ideas. Will it work? I don't know, but I think we have given the government enough decades to prove if they could do it... and they can't.

Last edited:
Well ladies...you have placed yourselves directly in the political arena with the last few posts...how about we shake hands and back off or you can always take it to private messaging. Thanks!

Rparrny, thanks for the offer of assist. Shrek is getting his surgery tomorrow, insurance was never a problem. Getting the doctors to stop ordering expensive testing and do a cystoscopy as I requested to begin with, this would have been over with two weeks ago.

Well ladies...you have placed yourselves directly in the political arena with the last few posts...how about we shake hands and back off or you can always take it to private messaging. Thanks!

Rparrny, thanks for the offer of assist. Shrek is getting his surgery tomorrow, insurance was never a problem. Getting the doctors to stop ordering expensive testing and do a cystoscopy as I requested to begin with, this would have been over with two weeks ago.

My best wishes for his speedy recovery. Shocked that a cysto was not one of the first procedures done once the mass was identified. You sound like you have some medical experience but if you have any questions about the surgery or recovery period, feel free...I would be honored to help.

My best wishes for his speedy recovery. Shocked that a cysto was not one of the first procedures done once the mass was identified. You sound like you have some medical experience but if you have any questions about the surgery or recovery period, feel free...I would be honored to help.

The cysto should have been part of the diagnostic process, especially since this a re-occurring mass. RN for 19 years...I specialize in Geriatrics and "End-of-Life". I'm halfway to Dementia myself:wacko::wacko: :LOL:Thanks!

Was trying to have a discussion without it getting political. Oh well [emoji2]

I'm glad you're getting things straight with Shrek [emoji813]

I am not happy that I am adding to the problem of adding plastic to our environment, but for now it is the best I can do. When I go grocery shopping, I come home with 20-40 plastic bags full of groceries. I blame the store partly. So often there is just one item in a bag. The three dozen eggs could all go into one bag. The bread could sit on top of those eggs. One piece of meat per bag? They could place the boxed hot dogs at the bottom, and another piece of meat on top. Every piece of meat does not each need its own bag. I cannot afford to replace those 20-40 plastic bags with cloth store bags.

At least when they used to ask, paper or plastic, I had a choice. I would gladly choose paper.

Reusable bags hold way more than plastic, so you wouldn't need 20-40. They never put just one item in a reusable bag, so that won't be an issue any longer. The contents of 3-4 plastic bags will fit in one reusable bag. And they only cost $1 each at most places. If that is too heavy for you, they'll pack them lighter upon request.

Also, even though most stores no longer ask if you want paper or plastic, you can still request paper. I'm not sure about where you live, but I've never been to a store that didn't have paper as an option when requested.

And if you choose to continue to get plastic, many stores accept the empty bags back for recycling. Many grocery store chains here have bins outside specifically for recycling plastic bags. I believe Kohl's does as well.

I wish my state would pass a law like California and ban the use of plastic bags. I wish they all would.

I don't think it's a petty vent but my brothers white blood count is low, they wouldn't give him chemo today and I'm just discouraged. I normally feel optimistic about stuff, I don't.. I feel like he's going to die and I'm so discouraged and sad.

I don't think it's a petty vent but my brothers white blood count is low, they wouldn't give him chemo today and I'm just discouraged. I normally feel optimistic about stuff, I don't.. I feel like he's going to die and I'm so discouraged and sad.

Stay strong, Merlot... Many of us have been there and he needs you..

Ross

I'm sorry, Merlot. It's an awful situation to be in. Just do what you can to make him comfortable and hope for the best [emoji813]

Back
Top Bottom