Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, you are absolutely right but we cannot control how others think. We can try to suggest and educate them - gently. It is incredible the number of emails I get from friends who want to "warn" me about ... whatever... but all they've ever looked at is the headlines. But there are an awful lot of people out there - that for all the preaching - will never get it.

Preaching with humour - with humour people are more apt to remember and because of that perhaps slowly start to believe.

Where have I said I can control anyone's thinking? Honestly, stop attributing to me things I have not said.

Bone Broth recipes use the vinegar to extract more minerals, not just the collagen, from the bones. Bone Broth has replaced my multivitamin. I only intake dietary calcium, so I need to get it from my diet. I use the bone broth for everything and it helps settle an upset stomach, better than an antacid.

Nowhere did I suggest others toss their multivitamins, I have tossed mine. I do think I should have said bone broth settles my upset stomach. As for all the other vitamins mixed up in a multivitamin, most are sub-optimal for excellent or even better than just good health. So I choose to take my supplements at optimal doses and not as supplements to my Supplement.

You really don't want me to go into vitamins A, D3, E, K2-MK7 and minerals Sodium, Magnesium, Chloride etc. that are needed just for bone health, let alone all the rest of the processes they are needed for. (and really don't want me to spout off about Coconut Oil - it's a miracle!) Between Dad and I, Mom says we sound like a National Enquirer headline with our statements.:rolleyes:

I can tell you, that health-wise, I feel better than I have in years and have gone off a few medications for my diabetes and blood pressure by taking the supplements and my diet changes. I am in no way trying to change anyone, I'm reporting my experiences and if anyone is interested I can give you the book titles I've been reading in a PM. I don't find a need to prove myself to the Internet.

Unfortunately, there is no reliable research that this is true. A little bit of vinegar in a big pot of stock is a very weak acid that doesn't really extract more minerals, nor are minerals from bone broth a good source of the building blocks needed to build bone in people.

From https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/bone-broth-calcium/

and from https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ng-stock-of-bone-broth-sorry-no-cure-all-here

Nope, it's not a cure-all, you still have to eat right. There is no magic pill or substance that will fix all our ills.:)

The last three years have been especially difficult for me and I'm not naturally a jokester. But I will try.

I am aware of and am sorry that you go through the health challenges you have. Here's a joke to help:

A Nurse goes to write a check at the grocery store, she pulls a thermometer from behind her ear and remarks, "Hey some a**hole has my pen!"

I love you and you know it...so there!:mrgreen:

Nowhere did I suggest others toss their multivitamins, I have tossed mine. I do think I should have said bone broth settles my upset stomach. As for all the other vitamins mixed up in a multivitamin, most are sub-optimal for excellent or even better than just good health. So I choose to take my supplements at optimal doses and not as supplements to my Supplement.

I know, but you know how people are ... ;)

You really don't want me to go into vitamins A, D3, E, K2-MK7 and minerals Sodium, Magnesium, Chloride etc. that are needed just for bone health, let alone all the rest of the processes they are needed for. (and really don't want me to spout off about Coconut Oil - it's a miracle!) Between Dad and I, Mom says we sound like a National Enquirer headline with our statements.:rolleyes:

Ha, my doctors have already gone into that for me :LOL: One laughed at me when I said I wanted to go sky-diving with our exchange student in 2007, when I was in the hospital with a protein level of about 2 and my vitamin D was undetectable.

I can tell you, that health-wise, I feel better than I have in years and have gone off a few medications for my diabetes and blood pressure by taking the supplements and my diet changes. I am in no way trying to change anyone, I'm reporting my experiences and if anyone is interested I can give you the book titles I've been reading in a PM. I don't find a need to prove myself to the Internet.

Nope, it's not a cure-all, you still have to eat right. There is no magic pill or substance that will fix all our ills.:)

I am aware of and am sorry that you go through the health challenges you have. Here's a joke to help:

A Nurse goes to write a check at the grocery store, she pulls a thermometer from behind her ear and remarks, "Hey some a**hole has my pen!"

I love you and you know it...so there!:mrgreen:

I love you, too :heart:

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad...

You guys have odd feelings about favorite things.

Hi, Princess F.

Glad to hear you're feeling well. Can't remember exactly where you moved to a while back but it's obviously doing you good.

MC

My latest petty vent is that, today, inexpensive PC printers are more reliable than ever. Paper loads more reliably, they do more automatic maintenance than ever before to insure print heads don't clog up.

I bought one for $89 on sale. My Canon Pixma inkjet printer can print onto a DVD. Pretty cool for $89.

The thing is...replacement ink. Nowadays, with three purchases of replacement ink cartridges, it ends up being the cost of the printer.

I still like the way today's printers have improved in loading paper and not just trying and failing. Automatic maintenance cleaning of ink jet heads is a huge improvement. With all these welcomed improvements, ink replacement costs are still ridiculous. It's way out of proportion compared to the cost of the printer. :wacko:

Last edited:
My latest petty vent is that, today, inexpensive PC printers are more reliable than ever. Paper loads more reliably, they do more automatic maintenance than ever before to insure print heads don't clog up.

I bought one for $89 on sale. My Canon Pixma inkjet printer can print onto a DVD. Pretty cool for $89.

The thing is...replacement ink. Nowadays, with three purchases of replacement ink cartridges, it ends up being the cost of the printer.

I still like the way today's printers have improved in loading paper and not just trying and failing. Automatic maintenance cleaning of ink jet heads is a huge improvement. With all these welcomed improvements, ink replacement costs are still ridiculous. It's way out of proportion compared to the cost of the printer. :wacko:

Caslon, I wanted to share with you:
(not sure if you have a Costco near you but...)
DH and I were standing Costco, looking at the Ink for our HP printer when this gal came up behind us and handed us two of these odd looking do-hickeys.
She said that Costco has a service now to refill your ink cartridges, rather than buying brand new ones. Just put your empty cartridges into these things and bring them in, they'll fill them and put them but into those do-hickeys that insure they wont dry out.
For a Canon inkjet cartridge refill is $7.49 - $10.49, depending on your particular size. As I look the price list, it's the same for Epson, HP and Brother.

The printer itself is usually a giveaway. They make their money on replacement cartridges.

My last two printers have been black-ink only printers, the current one being a Canon I got off Amazon for $49 a couple of years ago. Replacement generic black ink cartridges are cheap on Ebay. That's where I get them.

Last edited:
Caslon, I wanted to share with you:
(not sure if you have a Costco near you but...)
DH and I were standing Costco, looking at the Ink for our HP printer when this gal came up behind us and handed us two of these odd looking do-hickeys.
She said that Costco has a service now to refill your ink cartridges, rather than buying brand new ones. Just put your empty cartridges into these things and bring them in, they'll fill them and put them but into those do-hickeys that insure they wont dry out.
For a Canon inkjet cartridge refill is $7.49 - $10.49, depending on your particular size. As I look the price list, it's the same for Epson, HP and Brother.

Our Costco does this at the photo center. I've filled three cartridges so far, a black and two colors. I see no difference in quality.

I received a notice Costco would be closing the photo center's in this store. Not sure if that means no more ink refills.

The printer itself is usually a giveaway.

You mean costlier printers are more efficient at dispensing ink? I'm not sure about that. I'm just saying...inexpensive printers nowadays are pretty damn good at what used to go wrong with ALL printers just 10 years ago. If they could just bring down the high cost of cartridges. Is it an obvious ploy by printer makers charging $15 for small cartridges? Do you think it's almost a conspiracy or just capitolism being capitolism? Printers truly have gotten much more reliable, but damn, the ink still runs out too fast.

I don't mean to go into this too much further, but years ago, I bought refillable cartridges and pint containers of inks off eBay. You had to make sure the sellers cartridges had a chip on them so that your printer would accept them. What happened was that even tho the ink was highly touted by them, the cartridge ink would dry out over time resulting in clogged printer heads. This happened if you used your printer infrequently, like I did. However, today's printers go thru a much more thorough setup and cleaning of print heads before printing. That is a huge improvement, along with more reliable paper pick up. I may go back to filling my own cartridges again. :LOL:

Also, thanks for the heads up about the Costco cartridge refill thing.

Last edited:
No, Cas. They sell you the printer cheap so you then have to buy their proprietary expensive ink.

It's like a drug dealer that gives you the crack pipe and a litlle rock for a dollar, but more rocks get very expensive.

No, Cas. They sell you the printer cheap so you then have to buy their proprietary expensive ink.

It's like a drug dealer that gives you the crack pipe and a litlle rock for a dollar, but more rocks get very expensive.

That seems unethical, but then again, Pharma Bro legally raised the price of his cancer drug 5,000 %. This saying goes without saying: "Capitolism has its real advantages, and its real faults too." :ermm:

Last edited:
THE 10 MOST EXPENSIVE LIQUIDS IN THE WORLD

5/19/16
WRITTEN BY: Alexi Melvin
... snipped ...
8. Black Printer Ink $2,700 per gallon

No matter the price of your printer itself, the printer’s ink always costs far more, and the manufacturer for each printer and its corresponding ink is the one and the same.

:huh::ohmy::(:wacko::ermm::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom