Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a right handed person it is still the torque of twisting to the left to open a jar. An up and down twist is much easier for me than left to right - able to get my body behind it! :LOL:

Curious if any of you try it - would like to know.;)

As a right handed person it is still the torque of twisting to the left to open a jar. An up and down twist is much easier for me than left to right - able to get my body behind it! [emoji38]

Curious if any of you try it - would like to know.;)
Why twist it at all? Tap the lid on the counter, break the vacuum seal et voilà! It opens easily, no force required.

My wrist still hurts after I fell and sprained it a few months ago. I injured it again trying to open something that was already open but DH had tightened it too much. I don't want to take any chances of injuring it again when I can avoid it.

Yes, GG I have and still do tap lids - especially new jars. Old jars are a different story - it has nothing to do with the vacuum seal. It is one of two things - icky sticky gunk or some macho man thinks it has to be cranked just one more turn.

My local garage is always so helpful to fill my tanks (for lawn mowers, etc) and I love the attention, having them filled and putting back in the vehicle - but I don't let them close them up - I do it! They get them so tight I can't open them. I tighten them and they don't leak!

Yes, GG I have and still do tap lids - especially new jars. Old jars are a different story - it has nothing to do with the vacuum seal. It is one of two things - icky sticky gunk or some macho man thinks it has to be cranked just one more turn.h
Oh, I didn't realize you were referring to old jars.

Wiping the jars occasionally helps with the icky junk thing ;) I can't help you with the macho man issue, though - I have enough problems with that one myself, although he's getting better [emoji38]

Genius, PF!

When I run into a stubborn jar lid, turn the jar upside down an hit the lid squarely on the counter a couple of times...
Our counters are so cheap I take the jar out to garage and hit the lid on the flat top of the railing. We have a three-step-and-landing arrangement (read: intrusion) from the garage floor up to the entry door of the house because of the yard grade. I also wear a rubber glove on the hand doing the smacking. I figure with my luck, one of these days that jar is going to break right in my hand. :ohmy:

They make the same thing for twisting off an oil filter, yes. I'm thinking this opener will sit in the drawer neat and tidy.

Mt. Olive sweet pickles jar. I could not twist that lid off. I pounded it with the butt end of a butter knife.

pickle.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't realize you were referring to old jars.

Wiping the jars occasionally helps with the icky junk thing ;) I can't help you with the macho man issue, though - I have enough problems with that one myself, although he's getting better [emoji38]
Wiping the threads on the glass with a little edible oil (corn, sunflower even olive - whatever you have in the cupboard will do ) before replacing the lid helps to make opening a little easier.

Mt. Olive sweet pickles jar. I could not twist that lid off. I pounded it with the butt end of a butter knife.

pickle.jpg
With an unopened jar I turn it upside down and hit the flat of the lid on the counter top. Once usually does the trick. releases the seal but doesn't spoil the lid for future use when the jar is empty ( I tend to re-use old pickle jars when I make chutneys and pickled onions.)

I worked in hospitals in Denmark, back in the early 1970s. IV fluids came in glass bottles. The lids were on very tight and usually didn't need to be removed by care staff. But, if we needed some saline or glucose, we would open one of those bottles. There was usually a pipe wrench handy. That would often work, but not always. Another item that was common in hospitals back then was rubber tubing. It was commonly used as a tourniquet when taking blood for tests. You have probably seen a junkie use that in a movie. Well, that's the other tool we used for opening those bottles. I remember one day when several young men were making macho trying to get one of those bottles open with the pipe wrench and having no luck. I said to let me try, which of course was met with humour. I grabbed the rubber tubing, wrapped it around that bottle cap, and twisted it off, much to their astonishment. That's where I got the idea for using an elastic on lids. Rubber or something else rubbery gives you really good grip on that lid or cap.

How do you convince an old man to wear his hearing aid? My father just called. He can't hear anything. His hearing aid "is only for when I watch TV". In the meantime he accuses me that I speak too quietly. I am screaming into the phone already, my coworkers are wondering what is going on. If that was all I'd probably handle it, but he is verbally abusive. I don't know what to do.
I told my kids to shot me if I am going to be like that when I am old. :mad:

How do you convince an old man to wear his hearing aid? My father just called. He can't hear anything. His hearing aid "is only for when I watch TV". In the meantime he accuses me that I speak too quietly. I am screaming into the phone already, my coworkers are wondering what is going on. If that was all I'd probably handle it, but he is verbally abusive. I don't know what to do.

You can't make him do anything.
I understand your frustration.I just got my first pair of hearing aids.Let's not get cute here I'm not that old..It's genetic.
Your dad might be having a problem with them.Take him to an Audiologist have his hearing tested again. He might need a new pair.Or a simple adjustment.

I haven't worn mine in a few days.They have been driving me crazy.
Mine need to be toned down.Re adjusted to fit more comfortably over my ears.
They get painful to wear all day.That could be causing his irritability.
Not that's an excuse for the verbal abuse towards you.It's just an idea.
I've been getting irritated at people lately to.
My family has already noticed that I'm not wearing them and have asked me "Do you have your hearing aids in?"I tell them no and why."Please look at me face to face so that I can read your lips."

As for his calling you at work.Don't accept his calls.
Shine him on until you can talk to him at home.

Munky.

Last edited:

Take advantage of it. Call him names and insult him... you will quickly find out if he really can't hear you. :LOL:

My parents are both in their mid 80s, and both have hearing aids. It is entertaining to watch them talk to each other, and my sister and I can talk about them quietly, and they have no idea what we are saying. :angel:

CD

Here is my vent du jour. My biggest customer is driving me crazy. They have been a customer for about 12 years, and still don't listen to me. They live in a parallel universe where anything they want to happen can magically happen -- as long as someone else is tasked with making it happen.

I am currently dealing with one of their delusional episodes. The next few days are going to suck. I'm not going to be able to get the job done according to their plans, and then, I'm going to tell them for the umpteenth time, "I told you this was going happen."

Oh, they are are in their 30s and make a lot of money, and like them, I knew everything in my 30s and made a lot of money. Now, at 57, I actually know a lot more than I did in my 30s, but can't get "kids" in their 30s to listen to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see young people come up with new ideas and innovations. But, there is a balance to be maintained between innovation and experience.

CD

Here is my vent du jour. My biggest customer is driving me crazy. They have been a customer for about 12 years, and still don't listen to me. They live in a parallel universe where anything they want to happen can magically happen -- as long as someone else is tasked with making it happen.

I am currently dealing with one of their delusional episodes. The next few days are going to suck. I'm not going to be able to get the job done according to their plans, and then, I'm going to tell them for the umpteenth time, "I told you this was going happen."

Oh, they are are in their 30s and make a lot of money, and like them, I knew everything in my 30s and made a lot of money. Now, at 57, I actually know a lot more than I did in my 30s, but can't get "kids" in their 30s to listen to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see young people come up with new ideas and innovations. But, there is a balance to be maintained between innovation and experience.

CD

Clearly you have to charge these people more for the extra effort you have to expend on their behalf. You can call it the AMF charge for "Aggravation Mitigation Fee"

Take advantage of it. Call him names and insult him... you will quickly find out if he really can't hear you. :LOL:

My parents are both in their mid 80s, and both have hearing aids. It is entertaining to watch them talk to each other, and my sister and I can talk about them quietly, and they have no idea what we are saying. :angel:

CD

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is funny.

Back
Top Bottom