"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #731
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I had an odd one this week. Many of you know I lost my father and godmother over the holidays. Well, Mom called last night and sounded bad (I'm in tune to her). Mom, what is wrong. Turns out my best friend in Florida died last night.

I just feel tired and worn out!
Sorry to hear this Claire, thinking of you xx
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #732
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
V, please keep us informed. As a former legal secretary I am interested in the outcome.

the conviction stands in the case of the police officer on trial for committing a fatal shooting. the judge has declined to declare a mistrial. this, despite a few of the jurors admitting to using a dictionary to look up definitions for words such as murder, willful and malicious, during their deliberations.

the defense attorney is asking for a sentence of three years instead of twenty-five, for his client.
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #733
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
the conviction stands in the case of the police officer on trial for committing a fatal shooting. the judge has declined to declare a mistrial. this, despite a few of the jurors admitting to using a dictionary to look up definitions for words such as murder, willful and malicious, during their deliberations.

the defense attorney is asking for a sentence of three years instead of twenty-five, for his client.
Considering that the judge refused to declare a mistrial, I wouldn't even be surprised at probation.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #734
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I just received a notice from the Management that some residents have formed a "Wellness Club" where they have volunteered to go door to door once or twice a week to twice a month doing a wellness check on other residents.

I went to the lady who sent this message and told her I don't want this and that we should have a sign up sheet for those who are interested in participating.

She just said, "Just tell them no thanks!"

I don't want these kinds of interruptions, especially by other residents (anyone else for that matter).

What do I have to do, keep a note on my door at all times that I don't want to be disturbed? It's very vague as to when. We are supposed to get 24 hours notice (at least) for people to come in, but it was noted that no one should ask to come in our apartments.

I just don't want people coming by without notice, or invitation. Just knocking on my door is an invasion of my privacy, unless I know about it ahead of time.

I'm hoping I will be able to tell them just once that I'm not interested so that they won't come back. Grrrr!
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #735
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I just received a notice from the Management that some residents have formed a "Wellness Club" where they have volunteered to go door to door once or twice a week to twice a month doing a wellness check on other residents.

I went to the lady who sent this message and told her I don't want this and that we should have a sign up sheet for those who are interested in participating.

She just said, "Just tell them no thanks!"

I don't want these kinds of interruptions, especially by other residents (anyone else for that matter).

What do I have to do, keep a note on my door at all times that I don't want to be disturbed? It's very vague as to when. We are supposed to get 24 hours notice (at least) for people to come in, but it was noted that no one should ask to come in our apartments.

I just don't want people coming by without notice, or invitation. Just knocking on my door is an invasion of my privacy, unless I know about it ahead of time.

I'm hoping I will be able to tell them just once that I'm not interested so that they won't come back. Grrrr!
We have a health aide in the building 12 hours a day. If I have been sick or am back from a hospital stay, they do check up on me for just a couple of days and mostly at night. But it is only once a day. Or I can call Winthrop and tell them to take me off the 'check on' list. I am fine. Winthrop no longer puts me on the list. They know I have a cold, but they also know that my son stops by here every night at 7 p.m. If they still insisted in spite of having the info about my son, then I would definitely consider it an invasion of privacy.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #736
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I'll see how it goes. If I can tell them once, I'll be happy with that. I just don't want a bunch of unscheduled visits.

I just had to vent because threats to my privacy really raise my blood pressure! I feel better now having DC friends to let me vent.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #737
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I just received a notice from the Management that some residents have formed a "Wellness Club" where they have volunteered to go door to door once or twice a week to twice a month doing a wellness check on other residents.

I went to the lady who sent this message and told her I don't want this and that we should have a sign up sheet for those who are interested in participating.

She just said, "Just tell them no thanks!"

I don't want these kinds of interruptions, especially by other residents (anyone else for that matter).

What do I have to do, keep a note on my door at all times that I don't want to be disturbed? It's very vague as to when. We are supposed to get 24 hours notice (at least) for people to come in, but it was noted that no one should ask to come in our apartments.

I just don't want people coming by without notice, or invitation. Just knocking on my door is an invasion of my privacy, unless I know about it ahead of time.

I'm hoping I will be able to tell them just once that I'm not interested so that they won't come back. Grrrr!
I can certainly understand your feelings about this Zhizara. I can't believe they would force this on you like that.

I also don't appreciate when people come without letting us know ahead of time.

If they don't honor your request to not bother you .. answer the door nekkid

Just kidding about that LOL

I hope it works out for you and people respect your space as they should.
__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #738
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Another thought occurred to me this morning, that I really don't think it's right for certain residents here to know about other resident's personal health issues.

I decide who to tell what about my health. I keep other residents at arms length. Now they want to force that distance.

It seems like this would be illegal as far as tenant's rights are concerned.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #739
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Another thought occurred to me this morning, that I really don't think it's right for certain residents here to know about other resident's personal health issues.

I decide who to tell what about my health. I keep other residents at arms length. Now they want to force that distance.

It seems like this would be illegal as far as tenant's rights are concerned.
I think the wellness club is a great idea - for those who want it.

Yes, it is probably illegal for anyone to tell this "wellness club" anything about your health without your written permission. Hopefully, they will get that info from the individual residents who want to join the wellness club
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #740
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Another thought occurred to me this morning, that I really don't think it's right for certain residents here to know about other resident's personal health issues.

I decide who to tell what about my health. I keep other residents at arms length. Now they want to force that distance.

It seems like this would be illegal as far as tenant's rights are concerned.
Yes, it is a violation of HIPAA regulations. This should and must be in place with your management company. These folks who knock on doors need to know which doors to knock on...who told them? Or are they knocking on all doors?

Tell management that you will, absolutely scream loudly about HIPAA violations if these folks appear to know ANYTHING about your health information. Tell them once that you will not participate, if they pursue it, they are harassing you and you can report this to management AND the police.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.