"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #911
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Are you sure this still applies Addie? My father died in 2004 and some of his accounts were active until just last year when we found the last one and rolled it over to Mom. Nothing was frozen though. Not credit cards, not bank accounts, everything remained active until we provided a death certificate to the bank, the phone company etc etc.

My petty vent of the day is that I have so many little chores I'm avoiding doing ANY of them. LOL. Stupid internet being so stupidly entertaining!

I'm pretty sure that here in Canada those banking rules vary by province.

I know that, in Quebec, they used to freeze safety deposit boxes immediately they were aware of the death of any of the owners of the box, even if it was joint. Used to cause a lot of trouble when people had put life insurance policies in the box. They stopped doing that a number of years ago.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #912
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The problem here is, he got the credit card on my credit rating, everything we have except this credit card we are joints owners of, i.e. the car, the checking account, the bills. I have been paying for everything on my own since he retired 5 years ago. So, you are saying I should go get my own credit card?
YES!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #913
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Maybe you could talk to a Supervisor and find out what you need to do to get his account to be a joint account.

My Mom added me to her charge account, and arranged for me to have my own card on the same account with my name on it.
I got a secondary AmEX card for my mom years ago. The bill comes to me, but she can use it up to $500 (or is it $1000)? I'd have to check. Maybe get a second card in your name linked to the same account? But, you need to establish your own credit rating, so yes, you need your own cc, PF.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #914
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm pretty sure that here in Canada those banking rules vary by province.

I know that, in Quebec, they used to freeze safety deposit boxes immediately they were aware of the death of any of the owners of the box, even if it was joint. Used to cause a lot of trouble when people had put life insurance policies in the box. They stopped doing that a number of years ago.
I am sure Canada law differs from the U.S. My sister had a safe deposit box. She put me down as co-owner and gave me a key. When she died I was able to go into the bank on the day of her death and open the box and take out the money she had stashed in there. Her daughter was ripping mad. I knew about the box and she didn't. She insinuated that I kept some of the cash and didn't hand over all of it to her. I haven't spoken to her since the funeral. For all she knew that could have been my money and not her mother's. Her bank account was frozen. All she received each month was her SS check. When she received it each month, she took out all but $5 and placed most of it in the box. She knew about the frozen accounts on death. When she needed cash, she would go into the bank and take some cash out of her box. To pay her bills, she would give me the cash, I would deposit it in my own account and write out the checks for her.

If her kids knew about that box, I honestly believe her life would have been in danger. There was a lot of skullduggery going on between the two of us that her kids had no hint of. And still don't. By the time of her death, there was over $10,000.00 in that box. A little this month, a little the next month. All gift monies went into the box. Over the years it added up. It paid for her funeral.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #915
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I got a secondary AmEX card for my mom years ago. The bill comes to me, but she can use it up to $500 (or is it $1000)? I'd have to check. Maybe get a second card in your name linked to the same account? But, you need to establish your own credit rating, so yes, you need your own cc, PF.
She's right PF. You each need to have your own credit card with your spouse as the secondary card holder. That way each of you build your own credit rating.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #916
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sure Canada law differs from the U.S. My sister had a safe deposit box. She put me down as co-owner and gave me a key. When she died I was able to go into the bank on the day of her death and open the box and take out the money she had stashed in there. Her daughter was ripping mad. I knew about the box and she didn't. She insinuated that I kept some of the cash and didn't hand over all of it to her. I haven't spoken to her since the funeral. For all she knew that could have been my money and not her mother's. Her bank account was frozen. All she received each month was her SS check. When she received it each month, she took out all but $5 and placed most of it in the box. She knew about the frozen accounts on death. When she needed cash, she would go into the bank and take some cash out of her box. To pay her bills, she would give me the cash, I would deposit it in my own account and write out the checks for her.

If her kids knew about that box, I honestly believe her life would have been in danger. There was a lot of skullduggery going on between the two of us that her kids had no hint of. And still don't. By the time of her death, there was over $10,000.00 in that box. A little this month, a little the next month. All gift monies went into the box. Over the years it added up. It paid for her funeral.
My dad put my brother and I on their safe deposit box for this reason. We can access it if s/thing happens to both of them.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #917
Everymom

I'm joint user and POA on all Mom's accounts EXCEPT for her safety deposit box. This meant a very large headache and a late lunch date when I went to clear it and close it out last week. Sheesh. I was patient, because honestly, I'd rather they were TOO careful with Mom's stuff than not careful enough.

I'm not sure I'd have been happy with things getting slammed shut upon Dad's death. That would have made for some significant hassles for us as executors and trying to settle all the affairs. Glad that the laws here seem to be a little different than they are for you all.

No more vents for me today, I decided the most energetic thing I'm doing today is a quick grocery shop.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #918
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
She's right PF. You each need to have your own credit card with your spouse as the secondary card holder. That way each of you build your own credit rating.
I have my own credit rating, I just don't have a credit card. I can walk into any dealership and pick out a new car, I could get myself a mortgage on a house if I wanted one.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #919
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have my own credit rating, I just don't have a credit card. I can walk into any dealership and pick out a new car, I could get myself a mortgage on a house if I wanted one.
I still think it's a good idea to have your own credit card. I have several and Stirling has two. We are both on all of them. Sometimes credit cards get rejected for stupid reasons, then it's handy to have another one.

Before I bought a car, I used to rent cars from Enterprise often. Well, they process their cards through their US head office. Sometimes one of my cards would get rejected because I had used it that day in Canada, so it couldn't possibly be me, using it in the US. Other times, I would get a card rejected later the day I had used it at Enterprise, 'cause I couldn't possibly be in Quebec if I had used the card in St. Louis earlier that day.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #920
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the good laws in this country is if you have an life insurance policy and designate a beneficiary, then your estate does not need to go through probate. That beneficiary is considered by law your designated executor. They can open that deposit box without a court order.