Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know why. I've gotten used to the fact that some companies bring out a great tasting, natural product and then when they have a big consumer base, they start making it cheaper and adding more weird stuff. The Breyer's package looks the same. They are just trying to fool us. I have learned to watch for weasel words and keep reading the danged list of ingredients.

My favorites are "made with natural ingredients" which means some of the ingredients are natural, but probably not all of them. Same goes for "made with organic ingredients". Pancake syrup "natural flavor" which means that it doesn't have natural maple, just a natural ingredient that makes it taste like maple (lots of products are "naturally flavored"). This is how a majority of processed foods are marketed. People who aren't ingredient label readers probably wouldn't know the difference.

My favorites are "made with natural ingredients" which means some of the ingredients are natural, but probably not all of them. Same goes for "made with organic ingredients". Pancake syrup "natural flavor" which means that it doesn't have natural maple, just a natural ingredient that makes it taste like maple (lots of products are "naturally flavored"). This is how a majority of processed foods are marketed. People who aren't ingredient label readers probably wouldn't know the difference.

That's the phrase I couldn't remember that's on the Breyer's now.

I can't tell you how many times I have tasted the difference, then checked the label and discovered the changes.

That's the phrase I couldn't remember that's on the Breyer's now.

I can't tell you how many times I have tasted the difference, then checked the label and discovered the changes.

If you remember that EVERYTHING has a natural flavor...including the litter box...:(

I just got a call from the salesman of the heating and air company that I decided NOT to use. He copped an attitude. He thought that I should have followed up with him after he sent me an estimate over e-mail! That's his job if he wants my business.

I also told him that the other company did a proper load calculation (he never took out a measuring tape). I told him that the other company gave me a line by line list of charges, he gave me a 3 line estimate, with no details, so I had no idea if he missed some things or not, and worried that I would get hit with charges at the install, and I didn't feel like chasing him around asking questions. I finally told him that to be up to code, that the basement would need a cold air return added, there was no mention of that from him (the basement was finished after the house was built)

He didn't inform me that the manufacturer not only had a 10 year parts warranty, but was offering 10 years labor for only $100 more, he was offering me one from his company for $600.

He also not only read an e-mail while I was talking to him, he wrote one back. That couldn't have waited a few minutes?

I hope he got the message.

I paid slightly more going with the other company for the same equipment, but there were no surprises.

It's weird how some HVAC companies think they have YOU over a barrel and can do or say anything they wish it to you and perform their job with little care or professionalism. I priced an HVAC job a couple years ago and got estimates from $450 to $1200 for the same exact job.

You know I picked the $450 one. They did great work and did it fast. It's been almost 5 years and not any problems with their work.

One has to shop for the work done at your home. Not to will result in paying way too much and sometimes crappy work.

It's weird how some HVAC companies think they have YOU over a barrel and can do or say anything they wish it to you and perform their job with little care or professionalism. I priced an HVAC job a couple years ago and got estimates from $450 to $1200 for the same exact job.

You know I picked the $450 one. They did great work and did it fast. It's been almost 5 years and not any problems with their work.

One has to shop for the work done at your home. Not to will result in paying way too much and sometimes crappy work.

Most of my career was as an Engineering Secretary. When an estimate was needed, everything that was going to be done, removed and installed was listed in order of the event and the cost of each action. There is no excuse for shortcuts. A lot of companies just give a price. That is not acceptable. Nine times out of ten, our company got the job. :)

Most of my career was as an Engineering Secretary. When an estimate was needed, everything that was going to be done, removed and installed was listed in order of the event and the cost of each action. There is no excuse for shortcuts. A lot of companies just give a price. That is not acceptable. Nine times out of ten, our company got the job. :)
I always insist on a detailed estimate. Every company should give one without having to be told to. Some of the businesses out there have no professionalism in the paperwork end of the work. If you have problems later with their work, it becomes a she said/he said thing. If one has a detailed estimate of the work with a price cap on the job, then later, it's no problem protecting yourself. I'll allow for a 10% overrun, no more. If someone can't do that, then they need to learn how to estimate jobs correctly.

I have to trust my gut instinct, it very rarely lets me down. When I am spending $5400, I have to trust the people that I am hiring.

That call confirmed my gut instinct.

Most companies hire for minimum wage, someone to answer the phone and take a message. Hiring a secretary cost more money and are expensive overhead. And the person giving the estimate can barely write a legible estimate. They fail to understand their potential customers. :huh:

I wish my pets would get their acts together. They always get fed first thing I do in the morning -- two cat dishes with wet food, one dog bowl with dry food, moistened with a little canned. Today, dog comes back inside from doing her duty, doesn't go to her bowl, just back to her job, peering out the window. She's usually a very enthusiastic eater. One cat for some reason isn't interested right now - not even a "no thanks" sniff; the other cat cleans his dish and goes over to the dog bowl for dessert. :wacko:

My son's dog is very tempermental also. Son makes sure his bowl is filled before he settles down for the night. That way if Teddy wants to snack, he can. but no, he doesn't touch it. Instead when he takes his morning walk, he tries his best to pick up every dead bird and any other animal he finds and wants to take it home. But son makes him drop it as they head over to his SILs house. There he eats the same dog food that he has at home, and then heads for the cats dish and cleans it out. Strange dog.

I wish my pets would get their acts together. They always get fed first thing I do in the morning -- two cat dishes with wet food, one dog bowl with dry food, moistened with a little canned. Today, dog comes back inside from doing her duty, doesn't go to her bowl, just back to her job, peering out the window. She's usually a very enthusiastic eater. One cat for some reason isn't interested right now - not even a "no thanks" sniff; the other cat cleans his dish and goes over to the dog bowl for dessert. :wacko:

Latté, this morning, was trying to wake me up for at least an hour before I got up...she knows when it's time to eat. I also get the cats fed before i do anything else, half-blind and stumbling around, I do manage to get their food done. So, I got it finished and Latté disappears. Smudge is busily eating, no Latté. Next time i see her, she is staring at the wet food, then staring at the dry, then she "buried" it and walked away. She's curled up sleeping. Must not be hungry...

My latest pet thing is that Rosebud was getting bored. Understandable, winter finally set in and I think everyone, human or animal, is feeling a little dull. The thing is my little (21 lbs) dog is a voracious, strong chewer. I buy her a new toy and we're doing good if it lasts an hour. She loves squeaky toys but has the squeaker torn out within hours of getting the toy. Anything cloth ... and I've bought stuff labeled for much larger, hard chewing dogs .... not even an hour. I have one of those hard rubber footballs (come in different shapes) that I stick a milk bone in once a day and she can't destroy that! Yesterday I stopped by a yuppie puppy shop (what I call them, high end place on Main in our tourism-oriented town) and found a ball made of knotted tough rope, I think that'll do for awhile, and she loves it (some stuff she just shows no interest in). Husband has a hard time motivating to walk her when it is well below freezing (and yes, it is probably better for both their health if they stay in), so that puts a dent in trying to wear her out.

If anyone else is having this problem, let me know what toys you find and how to work with them. For some reason about a month ago, she simply quit playing "fetch", which she used to love and was good for burning off steam. Now you throw a toy and she looks at you with this expression, as if to say, "I brought you a gift, why are you throwing it away?"

It isn't a big deal, she "ain't misbehavin' " Just obvious she could use a little oomph!

For anyone who hasn't tried them? Those hard plastic balls that talk are a kick! I bought her one and the reaction was so great I bought another. We have a small one that makes farm animal sounds and a medium one that speaks English. I thought the novelty would wear off, but when she gets bored, she walks up to one or the other and sets it off.

We have a Jack Russell that is hard on toys also. The only thing we've found that holds her interest is a plastic bone by Hartz. It's called Chew 'n Clean. They come in 2 sizes. They are hard on the outside and in the center there are these hard rubber knobby things. She can chew on those for a very long time without destroying them. Just for a treat we smear peanut butter on one side in the knobby things .. she is happy as can be for a couple hours with that.

Until the weather warms and she can get off some of that energy outside we just have to play with her as much as possible.

Hubby found that she loves sitting with him in his chair and watching the Dog Whisperer LOL So he has several episodes of that recorded and he puts her in his chair with a blanket and let's her watch tv.

Latté, this morning, was trying to wake me up for at least an hour before I got up...she knows when it's time to eat. I also get the cats fed before i do anything else, half-blind and stumbling around, I do manage to get their food done. So, I got it finished and Latté disappears. Smudge is busily eating, no Latté. Next time i see her, she is staring at the wet food, then staring at the dry, then she "buried" it and walked away. She's curled up sleeping. Must not be hungry...

Is there a full moon for animals? :ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a Jack Russell that is hard on toys also. The only thing we've found that holds her interest is a plastic bone by Hartz. It's called Chew 'n Clean. They come in 2 sizes. They are hard on the outside and in the center there are these hard rubber knobby things. She can chew on those for a very long time without destroying them. Just for a treat we smear peanut butter on one side in the knobby things .. she is happy as can be for a couple hours with that.

Until the weather warms and she can get off some of that energy outside we just have to play with her as much as possible.

Hubby found that she loves sitting with him in his chair and watching the Dog Whisperer LOL So he has several episodes of that recorded and he puts her in his chair with a blanket and let's her watch tv.

My previous two dogs were JR mixes, and had nothing on this dog when it comes to jaws of steele!

i love to hear you guys talking about your pets on these threads--telling funny stories about the hilarious or maddening things your cats and dogs--and even your chickens do--their habits, their idiosyncrasies, and yours. i derive so much pleasure from reading about your pet's personalities, and their antics--especially so since i'm not able to keep a cat or dog myself. i miss the special kind of companionship a cat or a dog has to offer--the way they have of brightening a day, a mood, a life....so please keep bringing those wonderful kitty and doggy tales to the forum--they are the source of widespread smiles, much laughter, and contagious good feelings.... :)

I nearly peed myself laughing the first time I saw The Beast, my first cat, try to bury a new type of cat food. I thought it was impressive how well he could express what he thought of that flavour, without using any words.

Back
Top Bottom