Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix do you have other animals that live on the property? If not, try surrounding the garden with moth balls. :angel:

Cut myself shaving left-handed this morning. Showering is a laugh riot. I've found I can dry off by laying in bed and turning the ceiling fan to 'high'. It's faster to let SO help.

Cut myself shaving left-handed this morning. Showering is a laugh riot. I've found I can dry off by laying in bed and turning the ceiling fan to 'high'. It's faster to let SO help.

Seems you need an electric shaver while you are incapacitated. No helpful hints aside from letting SO help.

Time for an electric razor. ;)

Hope your arm gets better soon and lets you get on with your life without having to hop through hoops to do everyday stuff.

I hate electric shavers. I'd rather risk cutting myself. Besides I only shave a couple of times a week.

SO has been helping a lot. She tries to act tough but it's a lie. The morning after the surgery, she announced I had 24 hours of her being nice to me then the pity party would be over. I have to fight her off so I can do stuff myself. I remind her I still have one good arm. I try to save her for the stuff that's really a bother to do myself.

I remember when I wrecked the elbow on my dominant arm it took me a while to figure out how to use my other hand to use the TP! Don't let SO help you with THAT Andy! Brushing teeth was tough with a non dominant hand as well. Doing up my jeans, putting on socks...the list was endless.

Wishing you a speedy recovery my friend. I sympathize and wish I could help in some way other than listening to your vents. Gentle hug Andy.

Thanks Alex using the TP was the first thing I practiced left-handed. Brushing my teeth is easier because I use an electric toothbrush so all I really have to do is kind of point it in the right direction.

Truth be told, most of the stuff is doable left-handed, it just takes longer and it's kind of frustrating because it's something you don't even think about the rest of the time.

... And trust me there's no way I could've gotten SO to help me with the TP. She already told me should be happy to throw out my underwear buy me new ones.

Last edited:
One nice thing Andy; using your non-dominant hand to do things such as brushing your teeth or shaving in the morning is a good brain exercise. I try to use my left hand to brush my teeth at least three times a week. I guess if I ever loose the use of my right arm I will be ready for the challenge. Let's hope I don't. I hope you are able to use your arm again soon. :)

It helps to be ambidextrous. Which I am. I started out as a lefty. But I started school when they wouldn't let you be left handed. So there are so many things I can do with both hands. My youngest son is also ambidextrous. :angel:

Thanks Alex using the TP was the first thing I practiced left-handed. Brushing my teeth is easier because I use an electric toothbrush so all I really have to do is kind of point it in the right direction.

Truth be told, most of the stuff is doable left-handed, it just takes longer and it's kind of frustrating because it's something you don't even think about the rest of the time.

... And trust me there's no way I could've gotten SO to help me with the TP. She already told me should be happy to throw out my underwear buy me new ones.

So as you all know I am a therapist. When I was doing my training at a rehab center my supervisor was born without arms. She did everything with her feet. She wasnt one to hear any excuses about why you couldnt do something. One day another student had a patient with two broken arms and the patient asked for them to clean her after toileting. The student told me that the supervisor wouldnt let her help that she made her place TP on the toilet seat and have the patient scoot across it. :ermm:

and now for my own little vent. I have had a appt to get my tooth extracted for months (they are scheduled really full, hard to get in) and of course my child got sick today with a fever of 102 atm and I now need to take him to the DR tomorrow. I might be able to do both but of course he comes first so if it comes down to it I will need to reschedule my poor tooth again! I also had Wednesday off and if I was up for it, was going to have my hair done.. it's been put off for a couple of months now. A mothers job never ends! (I wouldnt trade it for the world but I also want to cry!) :angel:

Last edited:

Fortunately, it is only temporary (inconvenient, but temporary). Glad the surgery went well and by the time you master using your left hand, you'll be in PT and on your way to using your right hand again.

Ten percent of the population is left-handed. Most things are geared for righties. I have a bitch of a time using can openers and veggie peelers, to name a couple of tools that I find annoyingly right-handed--I can use the ones I have, but I can't use other ones! Since Rocky attacked me, I've been having to use my right hand more often to do things I normally do as the lefty I am. One can learn--fortunately, I can still handle TP with my left hand. What I can't do is open jars/bottles or close ziplock bags. I find that so frustrating.

While Shrek was in the hospital, he would hold all day until I got there. He couldn't bring himself to ask the aides for help...I guess the honeymoon is over:LOL::ROFLMAO:

It helps to be ambidextrous. Which I am. I started out as a lefty. But I started school when they wouldn't let you be left handed. So there are so many things I can do with both hands. My youngest son is also ambidextrous. :angel:

That's exactly what happened to me, Addie! My grade three teacher used to slap my wrist with a ruler if I wrote with my left hand (she knew I could use the right, but I would naturally use my left). Now a days I can use my left hand for everything....except writing and I write like you would left-handed.

My right hand is actually my less dominant hand which messes people up when they see me write and then do something normal with my left. :LOL:

I am somewhat ambidextrous. There are some things I do left handed without thinking. I take the keys out of the ignition right handed but by the time I get to the front door, usually with my left hand full of bags, my keys have found their way into my left pocket. I have to put everything down because I can't reach them. :aggravation:
At school I practice writing left handed. I can also write upside down & backwards in cursive. I did that once for a journal in high school. Teacher never mentioned it.

Last edited:
I have the same key problem, Cindercat. :LOL:

I have to cane with my left hand because my bad leg is the right. But I end up the other way around because I want to open doors, carry things, etc. with my left.

I'm not sure what it indicates about me, but I write left-handed and do everything else with my right hand. One older brother is left-hand only and has always had to argue with can openers, etc.; the other older brother is right hand only. ??? :huh:

That's exactly what happened to me, Addie! My grade three teacher used to slap my wrist with a ruler if I wrote with my left hand (she knew I could use the right, but I would naturally use my left). Now a days I can use my left hand for everything....except writing and I write like you would left-handed.

My right hand is actually my less dominant hand which messes people up when they see me write and then do something normal with my left. :LOL:

When my son was small, I handed everything to him in his right hand. He would take a mouthful of food with the right and immediately switch to the left. I never made a fuss about it. I just let him be what he was. But I did continue to hand him things in his right. I did that until he was about nine or ten. Now he is totally ambidextrous. And for him, that is a good thing when he is operating on a patient. The only time he has a problem is if he has a left handed nurse handing him instruments. He is so used to reaching toward her right hand. One day he actually thanked me for making him ambi. I didn't think he was even aware of what I was doing. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom