Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I have heard the rheumatoid one is not nice at all, I hope to never get that one :(

Are your tablets strong enough Ads for your pain?

My mum has really painful arthritis in her hands/fingers and she has tried taking tablets but they really upset her stomach, so sadly she has to just put up with the pain, it hurts me to know that :(

My mum has really painful arthritis in her hands/fingers and she has tried taking tablets but they really upset her stomach, so sadly she has to just put up with the pain, it hurts me to know that :(

A common problem. My sister used to take coated medication for hers. I too have coated aspirin that I take every day for my heart. Most people need to eat something before the take pain meds. It really helps. :angel:

Yes, I have heard of that one

Before I had my shoulder surgery I was on Mobic too...the 15mg ones, very strong indeed

All NSAIDS should be taken with food, they are hard on your stomach. Be thankful when you can take NSAIDS, they are the only thing that really helps my pain, but they interact with some of my heart medications so I can't take them anymore.

Non-Steriodal Anti-Inflammatory Drug. This category covers a very wide range of drugs. Basically any drug the reduces inflammation, fever and pain that isn't a steroid. The list ranges from aspirin to some serious Rx drugs.

As PF said, you have to be careful and talk to your Dr. about possible interactions.

I'm fortunate that I don't need regular pain meds. so I just take acetaminophen (Tylenol). I asked my Dr. what I should take and his response was along the lines of 'Take whatever works for you. They're all about the same.'

Tylenol gives me an outrageous headache .. almost a migraine and it will last up to a week after taking just 1 Tylenol.

Aspirin burns my stomach.

Taking with food makes no difference at all with either of these.

This also goes for any type of med - cold or otherwise, prescription or otc that contains either of these.

Advil (or a store brand of the same thing) is the only thing that does not give me an adverse reaction.

Fortunately my consumption of that product might equal all of maybe 6 per year.

DH was told by his Dr that he is not to take anything other than Tylenol so his other meds don't get messed up.

Every person is different but the warnings apply to all.

Last edited:
Yes, I have Tylenol or Narcotics for what I am able to take...I've basically decided I would rather hurt than put up with some of the side effects of narcotics. I can take 2 Lortab (Vicodin) and be awake all night...they make me hyper.

I belonged to a Welcome Wagon that had all kinds of smaller groups for members to get together. I'd go to regular "Stitch and Bitch" sessions - most times we did more talking and eating than stitching, but it was great fun! One of the women had bad arthritis in her hands and found something simple and medication-free that worked. She'd fill the bathroom sink with as hot of water as she could take and immerse her hands in there until the water cooled. Most times just one "bath" and her hands were good for hours. If your Mom's skin dries out easily she might want to do this with rubber gloves. I hope it helps her.

I bought my cat Iams senior cat food, since he's old and I was feeling nice. Apparently this food has made him extra barfy......

He's taken to barfing on the carpet in the basement. I can highly recommend Woolite pet stain spray. Sprayed that on the barfy stain, ran the carpet cleaner over it and it was like it was never there.

I guess that it is back to the 9 lives plus care urinary tract formula. Upside, it's a lot cheaper and he likes it.

I belonged to a Welcome Wagon that had all kinds of smaller groups for members to get together. I'd go to regular "Stitch and Bitch" sessions - most times we did more talking and eating than stitching, but it was great fun! One of the women had bad arthritis in her hands and found something simple and medication-free that worked. She'd fill the bathroom sink with as hot of water as she could take and immerse her hands in there until the water cooled. Most times just one "bath" and her hands were good for hours. If your Mom's skin dries out easily she might want to do this with rubber gloves. I hope it helps her.

I like a paraffin bath for feet and hands, the temp is just right, reusable and it does not dry out your skin. The therapists at work use this for our folks whose hands really hurt. Good for elbows, too.

I had just had surgery on my bad leg. I should have been in a wheelchair. I told the surgeon that all I wanted was to be able to dance just five steps at my son's wedding. Well I danced with the DJ, my son, my SIL, all the Albanian men and women, and anyone else who would dance with me. I danced the night away. Two weeks earlier there was talk of amputating the leg. The next day I couldn't even move my legs to get to the bathroom. Needless to say when I went for my next visit to the surgeon's office I told her what I have done. "Just five steps?" That was all she said about it.

Well that's me. Always pushing myself beyond what I should be doing. Since I can't kick myself, would someone do it for me? Please? :angel:

I've done something a little similar. I has to have a hysterectomy one summer. My work was having a mandatory meeting a week later, to the day. My doc tol me I could go only if I got someone else to drive and I came right home afterwards. It's about an hours drive to where I work and it was 110 in the shade - the middle of summer when I had it done. My mom drove me up there, so that was OK. She decided she wanted to stop and see my sister who lives in the same town and we had to go up stairs. Luckily there was a ramp that I could go down. By the time we were done I was hurting really bad and ended up having to take a pain pill on my way home. I got home and went right to bed. For the next week I could barely move.

I like a paraffin bath for feet and hands, the temp is just right, reusable and it does not dry out your skin. The therapists at work use this for our folks whose hands really hurt. Good for elbows, too.

Quite a few years ago I was introduced to paraffin baths. I have Osteoarthritis in my thumbs. It's amazing how much pain that can take away. True enough that it's temporary, but it's so worth it.

I've been on the phone with my credit union's tech support trying to sort out why I cannot use online banking. Everyone has a different idea. No one has a solution. It has to do with the latest version of Java.

Finally had it bumped up to the really smart guy who will look into it and call me back Monday or Tuesday.

Meanwhile, SO's iPad gets me where have to go.

I've been on the phone with my credit union's tech support trying to sort out why I cannot use online banking. Everyone has a different idea. No one has a solution. It has to do with the latest version of Java.

Finally had it bumped up to the really smart guy who will look into it and call me back Monday or Tuesday.

Meanwhile, SO's iPad gets me where have to go.

I still use inline banking and it can be just as frustrating! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thank you CG, I will pass that onto mum :)

Back
Top Bottom