Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My new Win 8 computer wants to sign me in, to play solitaire. :ermm: Hunh? It gets better. It signs me in as "CounterHarpy851". That's not me. I don't see any way to sign in as me. I suspect that someone at Staples fired up the computer when it came into the store, to make sure it works properly. And, then they played some Xbox game and signed in.

Anyone know how to sign out of Xbox games in Win 8?

My new Win 8 computer wants to sign me in, to play solitaire. :ermm: Hunh? It gets better. It signs me in as "CounterHarpy851". That's not me. I don't see any way to sign in as me. I suspect that someone at Staples fired up the computer when it came into the store, to make sure it works properly. And, then they played some Xbox game and signed in.

I don't know, I kinda like CounterHarpy. But now that you told us, you can't use it anymore.

I would contact Staples, bet management would not be pleased.

I'm good with winter. I complained all winter about the lack of snow and cold temperatures. Not once did I pinch my nostrils closed and have them stick. Snow I can handle. Cold I can bundle up for....I hate summer.

p.a.g., I'd give you a hug but it's too danged hot! I feel your sweat though. Summer is my least favorite season and this summer is topping the list. Himself told me he wanted to move to FL when he retired. I told him to find someone else to wed if he couldn't give that up. My FIL tried to tell me how wonderful it would be to live in FL. He reminded me how I had to bundle up or hide "up north" in the winter. I asked him WHY would I want to live somewhere where it is summer at least 9 months of the year. I never hid inside during the winter, I hiked and skied. I told him at least I had the option of adding clothing if I was cold in the winter, but the authorities would let me take only so much off if I was hot! Stay cool however you can.

p.a.g., I'd give you a hug but it's too danged hot! I feel your sweat though. Summer is my least favorite season and this summer is topping the list. Himself told me he wanted to move to FL when he retired. I told him to find someone else to wed if he couldn't give that up. My FIL tried to tell me how wonderful it would be to live in FL. He reminded me how I had to bundle up or hide "up north" in the winter. I asked him WHY would I want to live somewhere where it is summer at least 9 months of the year. I never hid inside during the winter, I hiked and skied. I told him at least I had the option of adding clothing if I was cold in the winter, but the authorities would let me take only so much off if I was hot! Stay cool however you can.

Thanks CG. We're hoping the maintenance guy makes it by today. In the mean time, cold shower this morning and off to work a little early. Hubby is thinking about driving around with the cat with him through the hottest part of today since the car ac works just fine. It's either that or keeping them both dowsed in water all day. I'm so grateful he thinks of the cat and doesn't just leave for the day. So glad he works as hard to keep our furry family member cool as he does himself.

Have you tried to go into the Control Panel and remove any game programs? :angel:

You can reinstall it under your own name. Or go to pogo.com

Lots of solitaire games on there. All kinds of games. :angel:
But there has to be a way to log out. What if I want to let someone else play some stupid game on my computer? Shouldn't they be able to log in as themself?

Thanks CG. We're hoping the maintenance guy makes it by today. In the mean time, cold shower this morning and off to work a little early. Hubby is thinking about driving around with the cat with him through the hottest part of today since the car ac works just fine. It's either that or keeping them both dowsed in water all day. I'm so grateful he thinks of the cat and doesn't just leave for the day. So glad he works as hard to keep our furry family member cool as he does himself.

That is quite nice, not everyone thinks of their pets at home all day. Mine have an A/C all day, even if humans are not home.

Cats evolved in the desert. How much do they really mind heat? Okay, humid heat seems to bother them. Mine is stretched out on the floor. If he wanted to, he could go in the bedroom which has AC.

Cats evolved in the desert. How much do they really mind heat? Okay, humid heat seems to bother them. Mine is stretched out on the floor. If he wanted to, he could go in the bedroom which has AC.

Both of mine are in the room with the AC. I know it's hot because they don't migrate into the bedroom with me at night, they stay with the AC. If they wanted to be hot, I wouldn't be able to get them off of me.

Apparently, Beagle evolved in the desert too. She finds the hottest sunbeam whereever it is and sleeps in it.

That is quite nice, not everyone thinks of their pets at home all day. Mine have an A/C all day, even if humans are not home.

Spike leaves the AC on low and the ceiling fan running in the bedroom. He also leaves a bowl of ice cubes for Teddy. By the time he is looking for a drink, there is enough water melted from the cubes. Then when they come here at night, I turn the fan directly on Teddy. :angel:

Our furbrain wants to go in the sunroom every day - when the sun is out - and she heads for a sunny spot. Top temp I've seen in there so far was 96 or 97. She lays down (or, maybe, passes out? :LOL: ) and stays out there for about an hour - or when we call her in because we don't want to be the doormen anymore!

After growing up in Maine, I thought that I would die, the first couple of summers here in NC. But I guess you do acclimate somewhat to the heat, just like you do to the cold. Now yes it feels hot, but it seems to bother me less than it did. Having central a/c everywhere you go helps.

Being more north that Florida, we at least get more variation when it comes to seasons. I don't like the cold anymore and snow makes me grouchy! I may have found for me the almost perfect balance (I can do without 100+ temps that we sometimes get in the summer).

bakechef, I've said for years that NC would be a great place to retire to...if the kids weren't so far away (Akron-Canton area in OH). Loved Asheville and the area out that way when we vacationed last year. VA too, for all the history (Himself is a history buff (the only kind of "buff" he'll ever be), and the northern part along I-81 is only half as far away as we live now. But I really want to live close enough that one of them can stop by for supper. :w00t:

MrsL and I were just discussing (PM) how it was easier to take the heat when we were younger. Now? I hate the thought of the heat between the house door and car, and then the thought of leaving my cooled-off car to go into a store. Gotta do it before the weather breaks, though, since I have to grocery shop before then.

bakechef, I've said for years that NC would be a great place to retire to...if the kids weren't so far away (Akron-Canton area in OH). Loved Asheville and the area out that way when we vacationed last year. VA too, for all the history (Himself is a history buff (the only kind of "buff" he'll ever be), and the northern part along I-81 is only half as far away as we live now. But I really want to live close enough that one of them can stop by for supper. :w00t:

MrsL and I were just discussing (PM) how it was easier to take the heat when we were younger. Now? I hate the thought of the heat between the house door and car, and then the thought of leaving my cooled-off car to go into a store. Gotta do it before the weather breaks, though, since I have to grocery shop before then.

We need to invent an umbrella type thing that shoots cold air all over us as we make those runs from the car to the store etc !!!

I have a handicap placard. So I get to park almost right next to the door. My supermarket has a vent right inside the first door and you get a blast of freezing air as you walk in. And in the winter, you get a blast of heat. I don't mind going there at all. I am not in the hot outside air anymore than 15 seconds. I can't complain. :angel:

I hate Windows. Windows 8 is fast, but other than that, it sucks.

I can't seem my network because MS is using a new SAMBA protocol that only Win 8 uses. Well, this is the only computer in the house that's a Win 8 machine. Others are running Win 7, XP Pro, or Linux.

There is a fix. I can edit my registry to disable this new one, so it reverts to the old one. Grrrr. I hate editing the registry. It makes me nervous.

BTW, other computers can see this one.

Back
Top Bottom