Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keeping people happy is driving me crazy.
Just bough after many, many years of resistance a cell phone.

I forgot and left it's box with instructions in my truck. This lil' thing is buzzing like crazy. I've asked it with futile frustration what DOOO you want? It's mocking me. LOL. One more buzz I'll take the battery out and shove it away in a drawer :LOL:

It's a Samsung..I hear DC has an ap for that.. :D

Munky.

I forgot and left it's box with instructions in my truck. This lil' thing is buzzing like crazy. I've asked it with futile frustration what DOOO you want? It's mocking me. LOL. One more buzz I'll take the battery out and shove it away in a drawer :LOL:

Munky.

I have a sledge hammer app...:D

Munky.
Is it a smartphone?

MDT, MDT

Mama Don't Text!

That's how I used to be. We never bothered having texting as a regular feature on our Verizon phones because we just didn't bother using it. IF we sent/received a text it was something like 25 cents each. With our current provider (Ting) you don't pay for any one of the three services (voice/text/web) until you use it during your billing cycle. Then the billing is charged in steps. We can exchange up to 100 texts for $3 a billing cycle, then the next tier is 101 to 1000 texts for...an additional $2. I found out how terrific texting was to get business done in December. We kept our daughter up to date on our Christmas travel plans, and she could send a message with a question she had that didn't need to be answered immediately. So much more efficient because if one of us has a quick question and calls...well, there goes the next hour! :LOL: Texting can save time and confusion.

It's just a shame that so many people think that the world owes them a living. I personally think that if a person is able bodied, but can't find a job, then options should be made for them to work for the state, maybe at a community farm where the food from the farm is used to help those on who want to work, but can't find a job. Of course arrangements would need to be made for child care. If the person working in the field doesn't like the job, then they could train for a job they would like to work at.

The point is, if they work for their sustenance, they develop pride in their own ability, and that they are working for their living. And those trying to sponge off of the system, find that they may be working harder than if they were working at another kind of job. At the very least, the work could be temporary until a better job is found.

I wonder how many people would be on welfare if they had work presented to them as a requirement for assistance.
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Other than those that are severely disabled, it is already a requirement. :angel:

I get 250 hours of free texting. I still haven't learned it and have no desire to. I like the sound of a human voice. :angel:

It's just a shame that so many people think that the world owes them a living. I personally think that if a person is able bodied, but can't find a job, then options should be made for them to work for the state, maybe at a community farm where the food from the farm is used to help those on who want to work, but can't find a job. Of course arrangements would need to be made for child care. If the person working in the field doesn't like the job, then they could train for a job they would like to work at.

The point is, if they work for their sustenance, they develop pride in their own ability, and that they are working for their living. And those trying to sponge off of the system, find that they may be working harder than if they were working at another kind of job. At the very least, the work could be temporary until a better job is found.

I wonder how many people would be on welfare if they had work presented to them as a requirement for assistance.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I would argue that a vast majority DON'T want to be poor and on welfare, it's a very small percentage that look at it as a career choice.

The system seems set up for dependence. If you are on assistance, getting a full time minimum wage job will often cause you to loose all or most of your benefits. A single person would find it near impossible to live on minimum wage, throw in a child and you are in trouble. So for many they don't see a way out, they could lose their subsidized apartment, their food allowance, health care and the few hundred they have for everything else. Add to that, a lot of people in this country don't have access to adequate public transportation, I live in a metro area, 5 miles from my job, if I needed to get to work without a car it would have to be a taxi or walk!

We need to help people help themselves and stop this new trend of demonizing the poor.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I would argue that a vast majority DON'T want to be poor and on welfare, it's a very small percentage that look at it as a career choice.

The system seems set up for dependence. If you are on assistance, getting a full time minimum wage job will often cause you to loose all or most of your benefits. A single person would find it near impossible to live on minimum wage, throw in a child and you are in trouble. So for many they don't see a way out, they could lose their subsidized apartment, their food allowance, health care and the few hundred they have for everything else. Add to that, a lot of people in this country don't have access to adequate public transportation, I live in a metro area, 5 miles from my job, if I needed to get to work without a car it would have to be a taxi or walk!

We need to help people help themselves and stop this new trend of demonizing the poor.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

+1. And many people forget that in 1998, welfare was limited to two consecutive years and five years over a lifetime. It's not a career choice.

I get 250 hours of free texting. I still haven't learned it and have no desire to. I like the sound of a human voice. :angel:

I did not understand the concept or see any advantage in texting for several years and had no desire to text. I also thought they were mostly for teens to communicate with one another.
I text now, and it is a convenient way to send and receive quick messages without all the chit chat....

Last edited:
I did not understand the concept or see any advantage in texting for several years and had no desire to text. I also thought they were mostly for teens to communicate with one another.
I text now, and it is a convenient way to send and receive quick messages without all the chit chat....

I only text if someone texts me first :LOL:

The iPhone's teeny little keyboard makes it somewhat, um, challenging. I'm not a fast typist to begin with, and am even slower when texting.

addie, you spend a considerable portion of every day communicating with us, your friends at dc, through your postings. your voice comes through loud and clear. i bet you'd make a great texter.:)

I don't have a texting plan on my phone since I want to keep my unlimited data plan, I use that far more. I text through Google Voice, that's the number I give people that are likely to text me.

I like to text for quick messages, as it is quicker and more convenient than making a call. I don't text every day, probably less than 100 texts in my lifetime!

When I got my first cell phone in 2000, I got a package that included unlimited texting. I got it because it also had a fax forwarding number. I had 200 airtime minutes/month.

So, I started texting almost right away. Back then, you had to ask people if it cost them money to receive a text message with most carriers, but not mine. Then Stirling got a cell phone and we texted for things like: We're in a mall. "Where are you?" Or, if travelling, texting was free, but phoning incurred roaming and long distance fees, on top of the airtime.

Stirling still texts me when he travels to Calgary, "I have arrived in Calgary." "I'm at the airport, flight home leaves in half an hour. Should arrive at 17h." "Flight delayed. I'll let you know how long when I find out." ...

If I text through Verizon, it still costs me 20 cents per text! I use my google voice number for free texting which uses my data plan instead of the carriers texting.

Back
Top Bottom