Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've actually had better luck selling on my local Craigslist. Of course, you've got your share of shady "buyers" to deal with too but I've learned to weed them out before they got to my doorstep. ::))

Our neighborhood has a lot of neighborhood yard sales and we sell a lot of thing that way, but otherwise we have used Craigslist for a few things. Sold a car on Craigslist several months ago. I have sold exercise equipment and a lot of baby items from my grandson. If I lived alone I would be wary of having strangers coming to my home.

"If I lived alone I would be wary of having strangers coming to my home."

Even if I didn't live alone! I won't sell on Craigslist.
There are too many numbnuts who say they'll come by between such and such a time----- and never show up or even call/email to say they won't. Arrggh!

I'm very wary of Craigslist. I don't like that folks selling or giving away dogs get their dogs used for dog fight bait.

"If I lived alone I would be wary of having strangers coming to my home."

Even if I didn't live alone! I won't sell on Craigslist.
There are too many numbnuts who say they'll come by between such and such a time----- and never show up or even call/email to say they won't. Arrggh!

I don't worry about those who don't show up, I worry about the ones who do! It could be someone just looking for a way to get into your home to rob you, or worse. I was selling a piece of exercise equipment and a guy was going to come and look at it and he actually called back to say that he looked up the model number online and it's not the one he is looking for. That was very nice of him to do that, but most people would just not show up.

They always say not to list a dog "free" or at a low price. It's better to find a home for an animal by word of mouth.

I agree. I have a friend who posts daily horror stories about monsters who do this.

Shrek sold his motorcycle on Craigslist...it was a good experience, but I made sure both of us were here when the guy was to show up and he brought a friend, too.

Several years ago I sold a whole bunch of stuff when we were downsizing house-wise but that pretty much ended when we moved. I'm out of practice and don't really want to get involved with it again but occasionally have something I'd like to sell on eBay. I was wondering about using one of those services where they sell things for you and take a cut of the proceeds -- it works through eBay but I don't know how to go about it. Has anyone tried it? Maybe a local consignment shop would be better, but I've had some bad luck with them folding and stealing away in the night...

Several years ago I sold a whole bunch of stuff when we were downsizing house-wise but that pretty much ended when we moved. I'm out of practice and don't really want to get involved with it again but occasionally have something I'd like to sell on eBay. I was wondering about using one of those services where they sell things for you and take a cut of the proceeds -- it works through eBay but I don't know how to go about it. Has anyone tried it? Maybe a local consignment shop would be better, but I've had some bad luck with them folding and stealing away in the night...

If you find a good way to dispose of things please let me know.

I have thought about Ebay, I guess I'm just too lazy! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Most of the old antique type things I have just don't seem to appeal to the average person these days. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to give the stuff to the Salvation Army than it is to spend more money attempting to sell it.

It's depressing, for me, to find out the things I have cherished over the years have no meaning to anyone else. Sometimes I feel like the pioneers heading west on the wagon train, dropping grandma's parlor organ or good dishes along the trail to lighten the load! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I have spoken with the owner of the store where Shrek buys his guitars. He has offered his services, in selling on consignment, when the time comes. I trust him, that he will not take advantage of my situation and get me fair value on the instruments. All but two guitars will be sold, the last two will go with Shrek. One is unplayable and belonged to his Uncle, the other is his favorite.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the didgeridoo...

It's depressing, for me, to find out the things I have cherished over the years have no meaning to anyone else. Sometimes I feel like the pioneers heading west on the wagon train, dropping grandma's parlor organ or good dishes along the trail to lighten the load! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This is what I often find when browsing a flea market. Some things just sit and no one ever even looks at them. You have to find just the right person who is looking for that item. If you do, you get lucky.

Most of the old antique type things I have just don't seem to appeal to the average person these days. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to give the stuff to the Salvation Army than it is to spend more money attempting to sell it.

We have two SA stores nearby. One in Chelsea, the next town over and one up on Route 1A. We also have a drop off box for clothing just a block away. I like the idea of giving your belongings to the Salvation Army. And it is tax deductible. Anything that is broken, they have a workshop that can fix almost anything. They hire the unhireables. And so does Goodwill.

Sure we all would like to make some money by selling our stuff. But for those of us who live alone, it can be dangerous. When I wrote up my will, I have a paragraph that states anything that my kids don't want, it is to be packed up and donated to the SA.

As far as Craig's List? I live in Boston and the Craig's List killer is still fresh in my mind. I know I am being paranoid about it, but I doubt if I will ever forget it. Every time I hear the words "Craig's List", it is the first thing I think about. Hopefully it will fade someday. :angel:

I have two boxes of coffee mugs in the back of the car, I put them in there on Monday to drop off at Goodwill. I remembered them when they clanked when I hit a toddler sized pothole.

I have spoken with the owner of the store where Shrek buys his guitars. He has offered his services, in selling on consignment, when the time comes. I trust him, that he will not take advantage of my situation and get me fair value on the instruments. All but two guitars will be sold, the last two will go with Shrek. One is unplayable and belonged to his Uncle, the other is his favorite.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the didgeridoo...
Wow, you've made plans. Are you thinking of, um, getting rid of Shrek? :ermm: :ohmy: You'll be too far away for us to bring you the proverbial file in a cake. :LOL:

I have a totally unplayable guitar - my old Harmony my Dad gave me for Christmas one year. He quit drinking and used the money to get me that guitar for me and there is no way I'd part with it. I should get a mount for it and put it on the wall, but it just sits in the corner of the guest room instead.

I want to rant about idiots with no common sense. Another person driving in an unfamiliar area following their GPS to the letter. For Crying Out Loud, when the danged thing tells you to turn and that "street" you're turning onto is the frackin' railroad tracks don't do it! Seriously, that's what someone did in a town near us today. And guess what? A train was coming at him! He got out of the car and tried to flag down the train to stop...and at least had a little sense to move off the track before the train hit him. Another opportunity missed to thin the herd...:devilish:

I have two boxes of coffee mugs in the back of the car, I put them in there on Monday to drop off at Goodwill. I remembered them when they clanked when I hit a toddler sized pothole.

All I have to do is put something I no longer want downstairs in the Community Room and it will disappear in a matter of minutes. I put down a bunch of those specialty mugs a few months back and they were gone by the next day. I was sick of using four ounce Christmas mugs. :angel:

I want to rant about idiots with no common sense. Another person driving in an unfamiliar area following their GPS to the letter. For Crying Out Loud, when the danged thing tells you to turn and that "street" you're turning onto is the frackin' railroad tracks don't do it! Seriously, that's what someone did in a town near us today. And guess what? A train was coming at him! He got out of the car and tried to flag down the train to stop...and at least had a little sense to move off the track before the train hit him. Another opportunity missed to thin the herd...:devilish:

Was it Barnum or Bailey who said: "There's a fool born every minute."?:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Wow, you've made plans. Are you thinking of, um, getting rid of Shrek? :ermm: :ohmy: You'll be too far away for us to bring you the proverbial file in a cake. :LOL:

I have a totally unplayable guitar - my old Harmony my Dad gave me for Christmas one year. He quit drinking and used the money to get me that guitar for me and there is no way I'd part with it. I should get a mount for it and put it on the wall, but it just sits in the corner of the guest room instead.

Hey, he's the one who won't take care of himself, I'm just trying to be practical.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom