Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw a picture of myself earlier and wondered when the pic of my Grandmother had been taken...

When I leave my hair the natural color and don't wear any eye makeup I look in the mirror and see my mother looking back at me. The last time my uncle saw me I scared him half to death! He thought I was Myrtle come back from the grave!

When I leave my hair the natural color and don't wear any eye makeup I look in the mirror and see my mother looking back at me. The last time my uncle saw me I scared him half to death! He thought I was Myrtle come back from the grave!

I used to see my Mom looking back at me a lot...but this pic looks like my Grandmother.:ohmy: Mom should look like Grandma. (Shrek's kids made me a grandma when I was 29)

I'm seeing my dad more and more in the mirror. Lots of the things that come out of my mouth are things that he'd say, our sense of humor is pretty similar.

I'm seeing my dad more and more in the mirror. Lots of the things that come out of my mouth are things that he'd say, our sense of humor is pretty similar.
I'm not only seeing my mother in the mirror - I'm turning into her.

My mother was a very talented dressmaker and tailoress and made all my "best" clothes. When I was a student I bought a pattern and enough fabric for her to make me a winter coat. The first thing she said was "What do you want that for? It's very old-fashioned (it wasn't in 1970!) I had one just like that when I was your age" (which would have been in 1941). I swore then and there that if I ever had children I would never say anything like that.

We move on another 30 years and god daughter comes for lunch wearing - guess what? A coat identical in all but colour to the afore-mentioned one. I swear I was not in control of my mouth because it announced "I like your coat. I had one just like it when I was you age" I knew what I was saying but I just couldn't stop myself! History repeats! I was mortified!

That was when I knew I was turning into my mother.

Last edited:

Thank goodness I'm not resembling my Dad, but our sense of humor is the same.

I'm not only seeing my mother in the mirror - I'm turning into her.

My mother was a very talented dressmaker and tailoress and made all my "best" clothes. When I was a student I bought a pattern and enough fabric for her to make me a winter coat. The first thing she said was "What do you want that for? It's very old-fashioned (it wasn't in 1970!) I had one just like that when I was your age" (which would have been in 1941). I swore then and there that if I ever had children I would never say anything like that.

We move on another 30 years and god daughter comes for lunch wearing - guess what? A coat identical in all but colour to the afore-mentioned one. I swear I was not in control of my mouth because it announced "I like your coat. I had one just like it when I was you age" I knew what I was saying but I just couldn't stop myself! History repeats! I was mortified!

That was when I knew I was turning into my mother.

Maybe it's just that we have gained the wisdom of advanced years and finally recognize the truth of what they said.

I am not even that old, but I already cannot remember anything. We had a thread going about building new house/kitchen advise, something like that. I cannot find it. Mostly because I do not remember the name of it. Help me please folks.

I am not even that old, but I already cannot remember anything. We had a thread going about building new house/kitchen advise, something like that. I cannot find it. Mostly because I do not remember the name of it. Help me please folks.

Some additional info neeed if you can. Do you have an idea how long ago, what was the thread about, new appliances, remodeling a whole kitchen? Was it about watching the new home being built in New Mexico by oone of our members? :angel:

The gas men have been digging up the road for a couple of weeks - renewing the gas main I think. Holes at regular intervals down the road. On Tuesday they reach my stretch. Nice men. I asked about progress and when they would get to me so I could plan food and hot water for when the gas was turned off as I might miss them when they came to turn me back on and do the purge and re-light.

The day before yesterday they had commenced digging at the side of the entrance to my drive. My drive is at an awkward angle so two of the men kindly helped me reverse out. Since then they've positioned the barriers leaving me just enough room to get in and out if I'm careful. So far so good.

Late this am I went out to go shopping and what did I find? The excavation had grown and now reached all the way across my drive. My car was out on the drive so they knew I was in so why didn't they come and warn me? I asked, politely for one of those metal sheets they usually use to bridge excavations but they didn't have one big enough on the van. I've had to phone the stables and ask them to muck out, do hay nets and feeds and bring Horse in from the field this evening. I could get the bus there but the last one comes back at something stupid like 4pm!

Three telephone calls to the head office later and there's no sign of anything improving. The air will be blue if they haven't sorted it out by this evening - they don't work on Saturdays and there are no buses at all on Sunday. It's going to cost me an arm and a leg to have Horse on livery for 3 days or more. And no, the office say, they have no facility for reimbursing me for the expense and inconvenience they're putting to me.

You can say what you like about state-owned utility companies but this never happened when British Gas was a nationalised industry and I was employed there part time between teaching jobs. And they didn't have competition like there is now that it's all split among several independent companies.

Rant over.

The gas men have been digging up the road for a couple of weeks - renewing the gas main I think. Holes at regular intervals down the road. On Tuesday they reach my stretch. Nice men. I asked about progress and when they would get to me so I could plan food and hot water for when the gas was turned off as I might miss them when they came to turn me back on and do the purge and re-light.

The day before yesterday they had commenced digging at the side of the entrance to my drive. My drive is at an awkward angle so two of the men kindly helped me reverse out. Since then they've positioned the barriers leaving me just enough room to get in and out if I'm careful. So far so good.

Late this am I went out to go shopping and what did I find? The excavation had grown and now reached all the way across my drive. My car was out on the drive so they knew I was in so why didn't they come and warn me? I asked, politely for one of those metal sheets they usually use to bridge excavations but they didn't have one big enough on the van. I've had to phone the stables and ask them to muck out, do hay nets and feeds and bring Horse in from the field this evening. I could get the bus there but the last one comes back at something stupid like 4pm!

Three telephone calls to the head office later and there's no sign of anything improving. The air will be blue if they haven't sorted it out by this evening - they don't work on Saturdays and there are no buses at all on Sunday. It's going to cost me an arm and a leg to have Horse on livery for 3 days or more. And no, the office say, they have no facility for reimbursing me for the expense and inconvenience they're putting to me.

You can say what you like about state-owned utility companies but this never happened when British Gas was a nationalised industry and I was employed there part time between teaching jobs. And they didn't have competition like there is now that it's all split among several independent companies.

Rant over.
Oh dear, what PITA.

They don't have real competition now. It's not like you can choose which gas company serves you. The only competition I can figure out is that the town or whatever gets to choose which company services their area. If you know who gets to decide which company services you, complain to them. Maybe, even let the gas company know you will do that.

Oh, my, Mad Cook. DH would be livid. He would still be out there screaming at everyone!! That's terrible. I hope you aren't inconvenienced too long.

Rant over.

Your situation reminds me of a famous quote from U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Grace Hopper "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." It seems like more and more people all over the world operate this way, very frustrating and very sad!

Good luck!

Mad Cook, I feel your pain. I hate this incompetence. But in all honesty I think England been hit by the same bug that bit America in the last 20 years or so. It is not about private or state company. It is complete careless attitude. Nobody caress, nobody pays attention. The customer service runs from service when they see customer.:mad:

Pride in one's work no longer exists. Too bad.

When I was doing Temp work, you would be surprised how many call backs I got from customers because of the quality of my work. At one company I did a job for was to catch up on the filing that the secretary seemed to never have time to do. Every time someone was looking for a piece of paper, they always had to go through piles of papers that had not made it to the file cabinets. One by one, folder by folder I got four filing cabinets in a neat order. Papers were sticking out or just jammed into a folder without ever taking the folder out to put the paper in it.

It took me two weeks to get those four filing cabinets in order. And I filed the piles of papers the secretary never seemed to have the time for. The head boss came out to take a look at the cabinets when I was finished. He was astounded by the neatness. What a dressing down he gave the secretary. What it came down to was it would cost her the job if she found filing so beneath her. She made the mistake of telling him that she hated filing. That she had more important things to do. Wrong thing to say. About a month later I got a call back. The secretary was gone and I was to sit at her desk until they hired a new secretary. They offered me the job, but I turned it down. I loved doing Temp Work and didn't want to be tied down to just one job. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom