Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Petty vent: One-post-wonders. I'm not sure why they do it, but I think it has something to do with SEO. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. It feels like we are being used.

Sure, I had my first post on DC, but I responded to the replies I got, and joined the party. Tonight, I got "reprimanded" by a fellow member that I really like and respect, over an honest post I made to someone who may very well turn out to be a one-post-wonder. I'm fine with disagreements, but I don't want to argue with a friend over something posted by someone who may have no interest at all in being a part of the DC community.

I know there is nothing we can do about it, but it still chaps my @$$.

Sometimes people just want an answer to a question, not a commitment. You can always decline to reply. But answering with "why do that when you can do it my way" doesn't encourage newcomers to hang around.

Last edited:
Petty vent: One-post-wonders. I'm not sure why they do it, but I think it has something to do with SEO. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. It feels like we are being used.

Sure, I had my first post on DC, but I responded to the replies I got, and joined the party. Tonight, I got "reprimanded" by a fellow member that I really like and respect, over an honest post I made to someone who may very well turn out to be a one-post-wonder. I'm fine with disagreements, but I don't want to argue with a friend over something posted by someone who may have no interest at all in being a part of the DC community.

I know there is nothing we can do about it, but it still chaps my @$$.

CD

Hi Casey. Not sure what SEO means....and I don't understand why you feel like we are being 'used'...? This is a huge and well respected cooking forum. Sometimes someone out there googles a question, this site comes up, they register, ask for an answer, get it, and leave. It's always nice to get a reply, but that doesn't always happen. It's also not a given that the OP wants to continue to join in and share personal info and stories of their life. Sometimes they just want an answer to their question.

I get the feeling that I'm the one who you feel 'reprimanded' you on a new post. Not so. It was only a matter of opinion, and to be fair I think you should give this new person time to reply.

This should answer the PM you sent me.

Last edited:
I think I just slipped into a parallel universe.

Cheryl wasn't her usual sweetheart self.?

GG says " my input is a mere opinion", and be nice about it?

Next thing ypu know, Andy will ask about boiling eggs...

OH...MY...GOD!

I did cross over, didn't I?

Hi Casey. Not sure what SEO means....and I don't understand why you feel like we are being 'used'...? This is a huge and well respected cooking forum. Sometimes someone out there googles a question, this site comes up, they register, ask for an answer, get it, and leave. It's always nice to get a reply, but that doesn't always happen. It's also not a given that the OP wants to continue to join in and share personal info and stories of their life. Sometimes they just want an answer to their question.

I get the feeling that I'm the one who you feel 'reprimanded' you on a new post. Not so. It was only a matter of opinion, and to be fair I think you should give this new person time to reply.

This should answer the PM you sent me.

I completely stand by my reply to the OP. And it really does bug me that we are arguing over a member with one post, given the history of one-post members we have here.

CD

I think I just slipped into a parallel universe.

Cheryl wasn't her usual sweetheart self.?

GG says " my input is a mere opinion", and be nice about it?

Next thing ypu know, Andy will ask about boiling eggs...

OH...MY...GOD!

I did cross over, didn't I?

Dude, you took the red pill. Big mistake. :ohmy:

CD

I completely stand by my reply to the OP. And it really does bug me that we are arguing over a member with one post, given the history of one-post members we have here.

CD

Your reply was a valid one and worth posting. It wasn't an argument until you made it one.

Goodnight, all.

Casey, Cheryl's right on this one purely from logistics and experience. No one has ever been more kind to everyone who have asked a question than her.

OK, lol, until just now... good job. (I'm kidding)

Over the years, lots and lots of folks use the forum purely like a living dictionary with no thought as to the humanity of the responders. It's just a part of today's ill mannered, overly stimulated, hyper connected society.

Casey, Cheryl's right on this one purely from logistics and experience. No one has ever been more kind to everyone who have asked a question than her.

OK, lol, until just now... good job. (I'm kidding)

Over the years, lots and lots of folks use the forum purely like a living dictionary with no thought as to the humanity of the responders. It's just a part of today's ill mannered, overly stimulated, hyper connected society.

Each of us has his own special calling. :angel:

CD

Casey, I do have to agree with you on the point of folks trying to position themselves on the `net. I don't agree with that tactic, but I'm an honest person. I self-promote only when called for ;)
But ya gotta move on in life, there's loads of one-post-wonders here on DC and any other forum, and I'm sure you know it, and yeah - it can aggravate anybody's saddle-soars, but it is what it is.

Casey, I do have to agree with you on the point of folks trying to position themselves on the `net. I don't agree with that tactic, but I'm an honest person. I self-promote only when called for ;)
But ya gotta move on in life, there's loads of one-post-wonders here on DC and any other forum, and I'm sure you know it, and yeah - it can aggravate anybody's saddle-soars, but it is what it is.

Thanks K-Girl. I know in my head that it is silly for me to let this get under my skin. But it does. But, I do get over it pretty quickly. I guess I was over-sensitive tonight because it created some friction between me and someone I like.

If that one-post member becomes a regular contributing member, I welcome him/her with open arms. If not, well, thanks for nothing.

CD

I don't mind helping out if someone comes here to simply ask a question if it leads to an interesting discussion from the membership. Not responding to the efforts we all made to help by simply saying thank you is just plain rude, and that gets under my skin.
Not everybody wants to play in our sandbox and that's fine by me. .

Didn't see the game, so I had to Google this, roadfix. I made the mistake of listening to the Youtube clip. :ohmy: The best tweet I saw came from ESPN writer Molly Knight. She referred to it being sung in the key of "Happy Birthday Mr. President". :LOL: Oddly enough, I get the feeling from subsequent posts by her that she meant it in a complimentary way. :huh:

Last edited:
WOW! Thanks CG - I'm not even American but Whitney's rendition stirred me!

and that other one... how embarrassing.. I wonder if the organizers are going to start to check and hear future singers renditions first! LOL

Attachments

• 14517259_1tapedshut-1.GIF
    14517259_1tapedshut-1.GIF
    184 bytes · Views: 78
Thanks K-Girl. I know in my head that it is silly for me to let this get under my skin. But it does. But, I do get over it pretty quickly. I guess I was over-sensitive tonight because it created some friction between me and someone I like.

If that one-post member becomes a regular contributing member, I welcome him/her with open arms. If not, well, thanks for nothing.

CD

Back atcha, Casey. :kiss::flowers: I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

WTF was that National Anthem all about sung before the All Star basketball game this evening? Anyone else see that?

OH MY GAWD!!!
We did not watch that, but thanks to Kayelle for posting the YouTube version of it.

I HAD to turn it off after less than 30 seconds of that, that, that :censored:

DH came from the other room, "WTH is that noise?"
Me : Fergie singing The Star Spangled Banner at the basketball game last night.
DH : Oh. Francis Scott Key has GOT to be rolling in his grave!! GEEZ!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom