"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Smile Playing mind games

AllenMI's Food Hoaxes thread made me remember something I had forgotten about that I did to my wife a number of years back before we were married.

I was at home while she was out for most of the day. I wrote down a bunch of words and phrases and then cut up the paper so each word or phrase was on a little piece of paper. Lots of them were the same. For instance, I had a stack or 10 or so pieces or paper that said "yes" and the same amount that said "no". Some said things like "I know it is" and others said things like "because I love you". I had about 20 or 30 different words or phrases. I put them all on the arm of the sofa where I was sitting. They were all upside down so it just looked like 20 or 30 neat little piles of paper. I had memorized which words or phrases where in which pile. When DW came home so walked over to the couch and said hi. I looked at the pile and picked up my first piece of paper and handed it to her. It said "hi". She looked at me like I was crazy. She said something like "what are you doing?" so I handed her a piece of paper that said "just talking to my girlfriend". I had anticipated how the whole conversation would go and lucky for me I anticipated pretty well. I don't think she stumped me once. It was so much fun and I had completely forgotten about it until I read Allens thread and it somehow made this memory pop into my head.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Great story!
Wonderful memory. Talk to your wife about it tonight.
It'll be good for you both!! Have fun.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef

That's a great one!

I would never be able to get away with that on PeppA. Once she figured out what was going on, she'd pull some oddball question out of her hat.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah I was pretty nervous that she was going to harpoon me Allen. I would have looked pretty foolish sitting there with a pile of paper and nothing that would answer her questions. Luckily it worked out in my favor and I had an answer for everything she asked. I was very relieved.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

OK now that I have shared this memory, does anyone have any similar (or not so similar) mind game type things they have done?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I was the PTA newsletter editor at a school I worked at (before I was a teacher). One of the features I included each month was a little article about a teacher (usually a couple each month). One month, when the principal was out of state for a convention (which is not why I chose that particular time, but it helped me out a lot), I played a prank on one of the teachers (a really sweet person, and a good friend). It was the month I had chosen her for the article. In her information sheet, she had said that she liked to play the flute, and she liked ballroom dancing. I got the head custodian in on my prank (he was a friend of ours also). I made a special copy of the newsletter just for her. The article about her did tell about how she played the flute and liked ballroom dancing, but it also said that she and her best friend (the PTA president) liked to toilet-paper peoples' houses in their spare time (they actually did do this sometimes). I gave the fake copy to the head custodian, and he brought it down to her. He went in like he was really upset and said, "Look what Barbara did!" If I had been in the room when he gave it to her, I think she would have killed me! She was mortified. The newsletter had to be approved by the principal first, so she asked Mike, "How did she get it past him?" Mike reminded her that he was out of town. Once she knew it was a joke, she was ok, but I scared the poor thing out of her mind--she was sure she was going to be fired. She did forgive me!

Barbara
Old 01-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Tee hee - why are we so naughty?

Had a creative co-worker back in Chicago who played one on the new guy.

He created a fake RFP (Request for Proposal - typical document used by various entities soliciting bids for consulting work) for the Republic of Bulimia (it was an international proposal after all).

The form he created that had to be filled out by us included questions requiring all kinds of detailed and arcane information, and the boxes on the form to provide said info were extremely tiny. The coup de grace was the post-it note on top with a note in very similar but not authentic handwriting of our idiot boss, whose usual instructions were "please handle."

New guy walks into boss's office to ask about howintheh*ll he should fill this silly form out. Boss was not amused. The rest of us, including new guy, laughed our butts off.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Quite brilliant, GB!
Sounds as though it ought to be included as a great scene in a movie.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Barbara and Mudbug those are awesome!

Barbara some how I have a feeling Maidrite might have a few up his sleeves too maybe
Old 01-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Who? Mr. Sweet and Innocent?

Barbara