"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Master Chef

Poor birds!

As many of you know, the back of our house opens into the woods. Beyond that we have open fields, lots more woods, and the river bottoms.
We have a bird feeder on the deck, and two sets of glass patio doors that open to the deck.
The poor birds see their reflections in the doors, and think its another bird. The male cardinals are very territorial, and they are the worst. They attack the reflection, thumping violently into the plate glass, and some of them die.
Others just sit there addled for a few minutes, then fly off.
Today, we were getting ice and snow, and it was very busy at the feeder. We heard quite a few thumps, and we thought for sure that two of them were goners, but they both finally came too and flew off.

The other day, Kim saw a young red-tail hawk swooping through after an injured bird. That's quite a trick, as thick as the trees are around the back of our house, but hawks are amazing.

Does anyone else here get into birds? If you do, let me tell you about our Tow Hees.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have several bird feeders , and I have seen Cooper's Hawk going after the birds.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Master Chef

Constance, I know that there is a window treatment that you can put on your doors to help prevent that from happening. I will see if I can find where I saw that at. Some of the newer buildings who's owners are thinking green have made those considerations and have done the windows in the building to prevent that. It may or may not be an option for you.

I love all kinds of wildlife, and I like watching birds go about their business. We usually have Morning Doves and these little red breasted finches that hang around our back yard. I love them!

In one of the buildings that I worked at many years ago, they had that problem. But the real problem was that the birds were eating the berries of a particular bush which caused them to get 'drunk' and then they would fly into windows. Some were stunned, some died.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I feed birds...love birds...build bluebird boxes...etc. However there is one that has decided that my BBQ cooker is a good place to do..."business"....This one has got to go!!! I enjoy the the Rufus Sided Towhee Miss Connie. Love the Red Tails and Coopers Hawks as well...especially their call.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Head Chef

We used to put out several feeders. Only problem was the birds were messy and there would be lots of seed on the ground.

I could take the messy lawn but a lot of the birds would find it easier to eat off the ground than the feeders.

There are a lot of cats in our area who run loose. Cats like to catch birds on the ground. And we became a very popular site for them. And they would catch the birds.

Now these were cats with homes, they were out hunting because that is what they do.

But I hated hosting a hunting lodge for cats.

Was brought up in a literal zoo and understand animals have to eat. If a bird is swept up by a raptor, that is the way of nature.

But setting up a diner for cats bothered me. So now we only hang suet feeders high when it is very cold and the snow is on the ground.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntdot
But I hated hosting a hunting lodge for cats.
Hahahahaha!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Master Chef

Cat's don't seem to bother my hanging feeder, but maybe that's because there are plenty of field mice for them here. I know if I were a cat, I'd rather have a warm, plump mouse than a mouth full of feathers.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

My dogs eat the cats that stray in. That solves that problem.

I don't have much trouble with squirrels, either.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
My dogs eat the cats that stray in. That solves that problem.

I don't have much trouble with squirrels, either.
aww geez... not the cats.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
Master Chef

We live at the edge of town, and a lot of strays get dropped off in this area. The coyotes get a lot of them, and DH has actually had to shoot a couple that looked sick.
The smartest ones survive though, and we usually have one or two that hang out around the property. We never feed them, but we like having them around, because they help keep down the mice.