"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #91
Sous Chef

Okay, whose house should I burn? As for the "red", we don't drink unless you were implying Kool-ade. Other problem started yesterday and is getting so I float to the bathroom instead of walk (er run).

Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #92
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT View Post
I don't think he would notice if I shaved my head! He seldom looks up that far!
Well, I'm glad to hear you're keeping his "spirits" up! As far as his blood pressure, make sure he isn't increasing his use of salt trying to get used to his new diet. Sometimes it's easy to add a little extra salt here and there and then the BP starts to creep up. Also, there are many meds that can make BP meds less effective. I know your hubby has been started on some new ones. Be sure to let his doc know if his BP continues to be higher than before. They may need to make some adjustments. But, it sounds like ya'll are hanging in there. I'm really proud of you and the way you have just stepped up to all of this. You go, girl!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #93
Sous Chef

Fisher's Mom, Jim is def not getting extra salt as I cook, serve and he only knows where the pepper is!! The meds have only been in effect for a week, so that may add to the BP. Also this whole kidney problem might just add a wee bit to it too! ;-)
Old 03-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #94
Sous Chef

Update

Just a quick update. We have found a new kidney doctor right here in town. Jim sees him this Friday. Jim has also decided to try hemodialysis when the time comes. There is a new dialysis center that is opening next month just a few miles away from us. So this will be easier for us when the time for dialysis comes, it's right near Walmart! My stress level has dropped a bit as we have adjusted to Jim's diet needs, as long as he is happy, I'm happy. The only stress I have at this point is that DS is out in Northern California, and has managed to break his foot! KIDS - you gotta love 'em!!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #95
Executive Chef

Good for both you and Jim! I really liked haemodialysis. The treatment was not very intrusive for the most part, we had individual tvs with central dvd/video, friendly (and very, very chatty!) nurses, happy patients, and I got to read books, do office work, watch the tv/dvd/video, chat to nurses/patients/on the phone or even catch up on sleep!! I went mid-pm on Tues and Thurs so that I was able to go to work M, W, F and half-days on Tues and Thurs. Sunday was the only right-off for me as I had to be there at 7am and wasn't up to much in the afternoon, esp in summer. Other patients stayed up all night prior to dialysis having fun (in whatever form that took!) and slept the dialysis session away! With cooperation from the centre, you BOTH can still have a very full life.

Hope your DS recovers soon and let us know how the appt goes on Friday. (We have nothing open at all on Good Friday except emergency services and a (very) few seafood restaurants. Perth will be a couple of rungs over ghost town on Friday!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #96
Sous Chef

Thanks Bilby!! For the most part, I imagine Jim will probably sleep once he gets used to the routine, as he works 10 hour days- 4 days a week! DS has to see an orthopedic surgeon when he gets back as he chipped the navicular bone on the top of his foot. He is not due back until the 25th. He tried to change his flight plans but was told it would cost $450.00 more. Of course, there's no hurry as DD just called to say the orthopedic surgeon can't see him unti April 18th. Guess I won't sweat the small stuff!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #97
Executive Chef

Gee I hope he has some good painkillers if he has to wait that long!!

I didn't like sleeping the full session as it threw my normal sleep patterns out, so I ever only napped. I was trying to cram a 40-hour week into my odd hours too, so was working really late on M/W/F to try to compensate for the other two days. At least he will have you to cook etc. My mum tried to help me but she doesn't live with me so I still had to do all the house things, shopping, cooking, cleaning, blah, blah... I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up but needed the money while i could get it. I did nearly three years of that routine until I got too weak to go to work anymore. Gee, I'm getting tired just thinking of the past!! And when I think of what I was like BEFORE the failure!! I don't even achieve in a week anywhere near what I did in a day all those years ago!! LOL Mem'ries....
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #98
Sous Chef

Bilby, you have such a beautiful voice! Yes, they gave him Vicadin. He's feeling NO pain.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #99
Executive Chef

Got the schnozz for it anyway!! ;-)
Old 03-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #100
Sous Chef