Prayers and info please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awwwwwwwwwww Dawn - you have my prayers, Jim and his whole health care team have my prayers, as well as the donor. Wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze tight - that's from me!

Thank you so much everyone. With everything going on I probably won't be able to get online much, but will keep you posted. Our #2 daughter has a new job, nights M - S 12 hrs. I keep the grandchildren overnight from 1:30 pm til 7:30 am, M-F. She picks them up on Sat. as she only works 8 hrs. I usually get up at 4:30 am and get to bed around 10:00 pm needless to say, I am about exhausted after bathtime( theirs:LOL:) and usually don't get time to myself til Sunday and Monday morning. I promise I will try to keep you in the loop as much as possible, as long as I don't go loopy:wacko::ROFLMAO:
Dawn

Thinking of you both Dawn.

Regarding the swelling of Jim's legs, put a pillow at the end of the bed for his feet to be slightly elevated. It helps a little, obviously not as much as just staying off of them. The dialysis and the fluid tablets will help relieve the swelling heaps. He will probably find that they feel more swollen the day he dialyses and he will benefit from having looser clothing (shoes/socks especially) for those days. Also cut back even further on salt especially the hidden salts, as they promote swelling.

Good luck. I've emailed you further. Take care.

Thank you so much everyone. With everything going on I probably won't be able to get online much, but will keep you posted. Our #2 daughter has a new job, nights M - S 12 hrs. I keep the grandchildren overnight from 1:30 pm til 7:30 am, M-F. She picks them up on Sat. as she only works 8 hrs. I usually get up at 4:30 am and get to bed around 10:00 pm needless to say, I am about exhausted after bathtime( theirs:LOL:) and usually don't get time to myself til Sunday and Monday morning. I promise I will try to keep you in the loop as much as possible, as long as I don't go loopy:wacko::ROFLMAO:
Dawn

Dawn, more important than anything, take care of yourself. Eat light and healthy, often, keep hydrated, take stolen, short naps when you can, walk when you can to keep your heart and circulation up, and once a day, find 5 minutes - more if you can, to just be with yourself, - quiet time. Deep breathe, and let it out, and just relax your muscles. You'll feel your shoulder muscles come down, uncross your legs, and your ankles and feet will relax.
Talk to us when you need to. There's alway someone here to give you an ear & support.

It wasn't easy!

Well, it wasn't a picnic I can tell you that right off the bat:cool:. We got there at 6:45 am. and sat around for an hour. They took Jim out to get changed, get vitals, etc. and then came and got me. Oops, some how the lab forgot to check his electrolites:wacko:, have to wait for a tech - no you can't draw from that arm - he is to have blood drawn from the back of his hand. Tech has to get another tech:ermm:, finally we have blood!! Wait for 1/2 hour (stat you know). Bye honey, I'll see you in a hour! Yea, right!:glare: Three and a half hours later!!:mad: Unknown to myself and my daughter, Jim's surgery did not go as planned. When the surgeon started it was with the understanding that the fistula was to be in his wrist, but his vein was too small.:ohmy: Okay, sew that site up and move up the arm to the bicep!! So my poor Jim has a bandaged arm from wrist to shoulder:(. On the good note he is home resting in our bed:sleep:; the bad note is he is out of work for the next week at least- oh well, I'll deal!!

I am sorry to hear this and am just now seeing it.

Watching television about 2 months ago, they did a segment on kidneys. I listened due to my own struggles with my kidneys. Also watched due to a certain person in here that has suffered no end with her kidney ailments.

I was shocked to hear them say that 38% of the American population suffers with kidney disease of some extent.

I will be praying for you and your husband that all gets on the mend and in perfect timing. Bless you and yours...

Just prayed first prayer, and will continue

Well, it wasn't a picnic I can tell you that right off the bat:cool:. We got there at 6:45 am. and sat around for an hour. They took Jim out to get changed, get vitals, etc. and then came and got me. Oops, some how the lab forgot to check his electrolites:wacko:, have to wait for a tech - no you can't draw from that arm - he is to have blood drawn from the back of his hand. Tech has to get another tech:ermm:, finally we have blood!! Wait for 1/2 hour (stat you know). Bye honey, I'll see you in a hour! Yea, right!:glare: Three and a half hours later!!:mad: Unknown to myself and my daughter, Jim's surgery did not go as planned. When the surgeon started it was with the understanding that the fistula was to be in his wrist, but his vein was too small.:ohmy: Okay, sew that site up and move up the arm to the bicep!! So my poor Jim has a bandaged arm from wrist to shoulder:(. On the good note he is home resting in our bed:sleep:; the bad note is he is out of work for the next week at least- oh well, I'll deal!!

Dawn, these thing are always so emotionally draining, and nothing seems to go as planned or quickly, but hang in there.
All of us have you, both in our prayers.

Dawn,
there will be days that will leave you bug eyed..But once you get a routine and DH can and should pitch in and help, things will smooth out. It's taken my DH a long time to realize that hey my wife knows how to tie her shoes I don't have to, hey my wife knows when to go to bed I don't need to tell her..Hey my wife can feed herself I don't have to cut her meat..:) It takes time Dawn don't run yourself into the ground..find 5 minutes for you..I have found DH is spending a lot more time with me than when we were both working, now when we go shopping we do it together and we hold hands..I figured those days were past!!! There is a lot I can say on what is to come but that will be between you and me in private if you need some help..Right now just enjoy having him home and this part being over..Chin UP you can do this and all of us will help all we can
kades

Hey Dawn! Know this scenario well. They were to put a fistula in my wrist too but my veins are too skinny (only thing that is I might add!!!!!) so they put a graft (plastic tube) in instead. Only thing is, they had to put it in reverse to normal - which confused the dialysis nurses at first no end!! My graft went from the wrist to the elbow. Took quite a while for the swelling to go down and about six weeks before they could needle it. At least the worst is over for now and Jim isn't an acute patient, which means things are done with a bit of time to heal and adjust to things. Hang in there Dawn.

Thank you for the support. I'll definately need alot of it in the week to come!! Jim's arm looks awful:ohmy:, all swelled and bruised. Good thing he keeps it covered or someone would think I beat him!:LOL: He is still in alot of pain, though it could be that he tried to do too much work on the motorcycle.:glare: I did step in and help when I caught him at it. My fingers are alot smaller than his, especially now!!! His primary doctor called and said his blood count is low, he has to go back this week and have more blood drawn, not his favorite thing lately.:( Did you know he is the first one in our hospital to have this procedure done? He certainly was the nurses favorite!! They liked the "bee" under the skin bit!!! I have been thinking about being tested as a donor for Jim myself, I haven't told him yet though. Just thought I would find out first and if I match, SURPRISE!!!:-p What do you think? He really doesn't want our kids to give one of theirs so I figure why not mine and then down the road they can give one.;)That way he'll be way to old to fight with them:ROFLMAO:.

Be tested Dawn, just don't let him be so strict that he refuses one of the kids..This is not a game, it's life or death so if a donor turns up you grab ait and say thank you GOD..But yes go be tested and if you match then that is what is to be...I wish you both the very best...
kadesma

Ditto to Kadesma. I do understand about the not wanting family to donate though. I didn't want my brother to donate as he has three little girls and his wife (the kids mother) has a different blood group to them. I want him to have one for them if one of them needs it. You never know what life brings. My cousin suggested arranging the extended family for testing but at the time, i thought it was a little drastic. If I hadn't been able to get a donor one and got desperate, I would have hoped someone would offer to be tested. Not sure if i would have asked though. And yes, I would get tested if it was my husband too BUT it is still a big undertaking Dawn to do so be comfortable with the concept BEFORE you get tested. If you decide that you weren't comfortable with the operation, or only having one kidney, etc, then you are best not to be tested, cos if you were a good match but didn't want to do it, you wouldn't feel good. And while the instinct is to look after those you love (and in this case by donating a kidney), there are other factors to consider on a personal level that should not and cannot be discounted. We all have self, even if we are generous with it.

It is complicated. And Jim really shouldn't say no to any opportunities that present themselves. It is a lot easier to say no when death isn't the option. Both of you need to keep an open mind.

Take care.

I have wanted to since the beginning, just not sure what Jim would say. Since I still outweigh him:dry:, I guess he would have no choice in the matter if we match!! Mentally and physically I am up for it, so I guess the next step is to go to the hospital in Rochester and "get r dun";). Just don't tell Jim, it will be our secret until the results are in!!:LOL:

Friday was not a good day all around. Jim went to the surgeon, expecting to get his stitches out. Not until next week, but "things look great." What!?! He can't straighten his arm all the way, and then we find out he is anemic!! So, he takes iron pills, dr. prescribed vitamins, and is to get a shot once a week to build up his bone marrow. But wait!! The insurance company needs to decide if the shot is neccesary!?! So now I have to call the phamacy to see if he can get the meds so he can get the shots, call the drs. office to see if the nurse will be there at 4:40 when he gets out of work ( he went back today), and then call him and let him know. Oh, then of course there is the fact of the headaches he has had since the surgery, he now has to take tylenol w/codiene. Of course, he feels great then!! I just don't dare let him out of my sight then. AARRGGHHHH!!!! Please keep your prayers coming.

Back
Top Bottom