Products that have disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, if you're willing to pay the price, most if not all of these "disappeared" items (including "Quisp" cereal) are still available. Just do an internet search. Food Network did a program on just this topic not too long ago, & it was amazing how many of these items are still in production for the "specialty" market.

For me, I miss "Liederkranz Cheese", a close cousin to Limburger, the most.

I loved Liederkrantz too and wondered what happened to it. Here is an excerp from an article on the internet:

The Borden plant, which by then had moved to Van Wert, Ohio, was sold to the Fisher Cheese Co. in 1982. When bacterial contamination was found in a batch, Liederkranz was withdrawn from the market in August 1985.
"That was the last time Liederkranz was made," Nelson wrote.

Too bad, but there is a cheese that is almost identical to Liederkranz and it's called Schloss. Google "Marin French Cheese" to read about it.

If you google "Home Town Favorites", you will find a hard to find grocer with products that are still available and a list of products that are no longer made or have had their name changed.

I am uncertain if I am allowed to use a link here or not.

The Vermont Country Store catalog carries a lot of products that we don't se much any more. If you write (call, email) them they'll sometimes find them for you.

I loved Liederkrantz too and wondered what happened to it. Here is an excerp from an article on the internet:

The Borden plant, which by then had moved to Van Wert, Ohio, was sold to the Fisher Cheese Co. in 1982. When bacterial contamination was found in a batch, Liederkranz was withdrawn from the market in August 1985.
"That was the last time Liederkranz was made," Nelson wrote.

Too bad, but there is a cheese that is almost identical to Liederkranz and it's called Schloss. Google "Marin French Cheese" to read about it.

I received 18 ounces of Schloss yesterday from Marin. Have not tasted it yet but the pros and cons seem to be:

Pros-
Looks, feels and smells like it'll be good.
Arrived in good condition and very nicely packed.
Spoke to their customer service on their 800 number and they were very pleasant.

Cons-
They do not e-mail a shipping confirmation with a tracking number
They're a bit pricey; on sale and with a free shipping teaser , the cost was $29.

Mom used to pour some Okite ? Oakite ? powder in with the dish soap/water. I don't really remember what it did, but haven't seen that in 35+ years. She also soaked yellowed white linens she found at garage sales in it and then put in washer. Stuff came out clean like new. I now do that with borax for the same effect.
Does anyone remember oakite?

Mom used to pour some Okite ? Oakite ? powder in with the dish soap/water. I don't really remember what it did, but haven't seen that in 35+ years. She also soaked yellowed white linens she found at garage sales in it and then put in washer. Stuff came out clean like new. I now do that with borax for the same effect.
Does anyone remember oakite?

Sure do. It was in the same league as Mex. It was also a powerful degreaser and pretty good paintbrush cleaner. Probably was heavy in the tabooed phosphate department.

I wonder if TSP was supposed to take it's place as a powerful degreaser, etc., and wallpaper remover?
Although, I wouldn't put it in my linens or dish water.
Eats the skin off your hands.

I wonder if TSP was supposed to take it's place as a powerful degreaser, etc., and wallpaper remover?
Although, I wouldn't put it in my linens or dish water.
Eats the skin off your hands.

I think the sale of TSP is restricted in some locales.
Lotsa stuff is not too available any more. My International Harvester shop manual recommended degreasing distributor contact points with chloroform.

My dad used to LOVE the cinnamon ice breakers gum.... I don't know if they quit making that kind or what.. THey still make the other kinds?.. This time last year I tried everything, emailing the company, going to random stores everywhere I went... I think i ended up finding 3 packs over a 6 month time period...

Does anyone see the cinnamon ice breakers gum where you live??

I think the sale of TSP is restricted in some locales.
Lotsa stuff is not too available any more. My International Harvester shop manual recommended degreasing distributor contact points with chloroform.

LOL! And where does one get that?
I can get TSP here. At least the last time I needed it.-2 yrs. ago maybe?

Probably really "aging" myself here, does anyone remember the little candy "dots" that came affixed to the paper? They were all different colors, and whenever you ate one off the paper, a bit off the paper remained stuck to the underside of the candy! (Maybe the FDA got involved with that)
Oh they still make those and they can be found in the malls, I'm sure I saw them 5 years ago last time I shopped a mall. :ohmy: One of my friends, it was her favorite candy and I used to get her some. I think the paper was good for fiber. :LOL:I tend to remember people close to me, their favorite candies, like my mom, she likes orange slices (jelly candy coated in sugar). I like the flavor red, so sometimes strawberry or cherry.

What happened to Fresca? How about Raspberry flavored Diet rite? (Since I can't find these, I don't drink soda anymore.)

Remember 'sandwich spread'........bolongna w/pickles and mayo, we still make that at home. Though, it's been a while.

Pimento cheese--I've only seen recipes, never tasted the original.
~Bliss

My dad used to buy Grapette soda by the case when we were kids. They came in bottles smaller than the small 7up. I found some a couple of years ago and ordered them, but they aren't the same at all. It tasted like it had too much water in it - not much taste.

My dad used to LOVE the cinnamon ice breakers gum.... I don't know if they quit making that kind or what.. THey still make the other kinds?.. This time last year I tried everything, emailing the company, going to random stores everywhere I went... I think i ended up finding 3 packs over a 6 month time period...

Does anyone see the cinnamon ice breakers gum where you live??

I saw it a few weeks ago, I will check for them. If I find some, you want me to get them for you??

I used to love "flake" chocolate bars. They were like a bunch of chocolate shavings rolled into a log and covered in a layer of chocolate. When you bit into them the flakes would all melt in your mouth. Saw them briefly reappear a couple of years ago and then gone again!

Also the original licorice cigars and pipes. They were real licorice. The ones now are not the same at all. I actually haven't been able to find true licorice for a long time.

I can't find sugar daddys. My mom used to love those and I've looked off & on for a couple of years now.

How about JuJubees? I used to buy those in the theatre (40 years ago). UHhggggg...

We have tons of what we call Ju Jubes here in Canada. What me to FedEx you some? (you will find out I like to FedEx lots of things, specially bratwurst....want some?)

Chunky's Creole Soup.... DH and I use to love this stuff, (one of the few Chunky soups I ever liked!)

Oh, yeah, Sattie, you are reminding me! They used to make a Chunky Mushroom Soup with huge pieces of mushrooms, but that one is gone too.

Back
Top Bottom