Question about online condolences and guestbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
When you do an online condolense, is the guestbook for the surviving wife and family in this case, or is the guestbook in the name of the deceased? It says "for the guestbook of" and then I am suppose to insert the name. I assumed it meant for the surviving wife, but is it the husband who died that I should insert?

Chef Jen, that seems clear enough, but this one says "for the guestbook Of" not sure if I should insert the surviving wife's name or the deceased husband.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. I was thinking since the guestbook is for the survivors that it should be made out to them, but it makes more sense that the guestbook is signed FOR the deceased person and given to the family. Thanks Andy and Chef Jen.

are you kidding? online?! never heard of this.

Is it for those who couldn't attend the wake/funeral/send a card or flowers/make a phone call?

mudbug said:
are you kidding? online?! never heard of this.

Is it for those who couldn't attend the wake/funeral/send a card or flowers/make a phone call?

I know it sounds pretty bizarre Mudbug, but it's true. First time I ever heard of this was earlier this year when a member on another website I belong to, passed away, and there was an online place (the funeral home) to send condolenses online and they even held an online "virtual" church type ceremony in her honor which was really touching. Her family received all of the online condolenses and replied on the website to say it was very touching to see how many online friends cared so much about her.

So yes, it's mostly for those that cannot attend the actual services, or perhaps did not know the person well but still want to send condolenses. In this case, my insurance agents husband passed away, and while I am not close to my insurance agent other than through business, I felt it appropriate to send my condolenses online seeing as I have no idea where in Maine she lives, do not have her personal phone number. The obituary said that people can send condolenses online to the funeral home, so I did.

Put the deceased person's name in the book.

I was a funeral director.

Ok, thanks HB, that was exactly what Andy and Chef Jen said as well.

Since you were a funeral director, did you get alot of online condolenses for the deceased? This seems to be relatively new I think?

I know there was a guestbook online for people to send their sympathies when my grandmother died and then again when my dad died.

My son lost his very best friend 2 years ago and was asked to do the eulogy by the family. They asked him if he would also sign the online guestbook since he was the oldest and dearest friend of their brother. I signed also since he had spend so much time with us and I wanted his family to know how much we loved him. He had been in the Peace Corps and taught school abroad and each time he came home he always came to see us, even though my son had moved away by that time. He died from leukemia that was only discovered after his passing. The guest book means a lot to a grieving family and helps them to realize how much their relative was cared for by others.

I think it is a very touching tribute to someone who, like us, has many friends online!!
Just as if someone on here were to be lost to us, I would love the chance to write something to their family and let them know how loved the person was.

Back
Top Bottom