"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Quitting smoking

A friend of mine told me about the generic version of the patch to quit smoking , so I'll buy the patch this weekend and then quit on Monday. I think I can do this with your help that is!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I am so happy to hear you are quitting smoking.
I am happy when anybody does something good for themselves and their loved ones.
Stay strong and think of all the benefits of quitting.

Why should I quit?Health benefits of quitting

All kinds of smokers – men and women, young or old – can get health benefits from quitting. The minute you stop smoking, your body begins to clean itself of tobacco poisons. Here’s how:
  • Within 8 hours, carbon monoxide levels drop in your body and oxygen levels in your blood increases.
  • After 2 days, your sense of smell and taste begin to improve.
  • Within 2 weeks to 3 months, your lungs work better making it easier to breathe.
  • After 6 months, coughing, sinus congestion, tiredness and shortness of breath improve.
  • After 1 year, your risk of a smoking-related heart attack is reduced by half.
The younger you are when you quit the greater the health benefits.
Quit and reduce the risk of cancer

Quit now and reduce the risk of developing cancer. In general, the longer you don't smoke the more you lower your risk.
  • Within 10 years of quitting, the overall risk of an ex-smoker dying from lung cancer is cut in half.
  • After 10 years, the overall risk of an ex-smoker developing cancer approaches that of a non-smoker.
Go here and click on the calculator at the bottom to see how much money you can save by quitting:Quit smoking

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
Master Chef

Amber, as a former smoker, I can't think of any other way to do it except cold turkey. What really made me want to quit was that I was embarrassed to be seen with a cigarette in my hand, in my car, anywhere..... I guess when I got to the point and that the only place I felt comfortable smoking was at my house, I had got half the battle won. I was down to smoking 4 or 5 cigs a day, so why not go all the way????

Anyhow, I know HOW HARD it is, I'm praying for ya girlie, and when you need to vent..... feel free to send me a PM!!!

OH!!! When the craving comes.... remember this... the craving only last for 2 to 5 minutes... if you can pre occupy yourself with something else for a few minutes, the craving will pass and you will forget that you wanted one... at least for a period of time. It gets easier over time!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!! AMBER! AMBER! AMBER!!! The crowd chants!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Amber, being a non-smoker and having a low tolerance to cigarette smell, I applaud your move. Bravo!!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
DC's Angel

Amber,
You can do it. I know you can do it. I did it. When I wasn't ready it was the hardest thing in the world. When I was ready it was the easiest thing in the world. After you've done it you will love yourself! Be strong. It's worth it! You'll know you're cured when you see someone smoking and feel sorry for them.
Love, Buck
Old 02-10-2007, 02:31 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
A friend of mine told me about the generic version of the patch to quit smoking , so I'll buy the patch this weekend and then quit on Monday. I think I can do this with your help that is!
I went back and read 3,273 of your post and I just never connected you to the personality of someone who smokes. Maybe it's that cute little puppy dog that I think is someone like you. You can always read 3,273 of your post before you- you know what-. I am sure you will succeed.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

stirblue, you read three thouand plus posts from amber?

i think i would take up smoking if i tried that with anyone...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
stirblue, you read three thouand plus posts from amber?

i think i would take up smoking if i tried that with anyone...
Somebody told me that they had taken the tour of the Virtual B&B so I read all 9,3 & some odd post. They just stopped in once for a sweet roll and coffee when it was the Virtual Cafe.

I have read everybody's.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:54 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Go for it! I stopped in '92 using a $10 tape from Barnes&Noble and never looked back. Listened to it for five weeks, thinking about how much money I'd save and it worked. With the price of cigarettes these days, you could probably buy your own personal jet! Think positive, you can do it!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:44 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thats great Amber!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!