"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #2381
Head Chef

In remembrance:

My wife's family plot - most of her mother's family since 1914 is here together.:

Thinking of friends long gone:

Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #2382
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
In remembrance:

My wife's family plot - most of her mother's family since 1914 is here together.:

Thinking of friends long gone:

Thank you for the reminder.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #2383
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, I spent yesterday at the cemetery finding my Mom's side of the family. Now I know where to find them, I can continue to help Mom.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 AM   #2384
Master Chef

So much for "squirrel-proof". The little buggers keep prying the lid open...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-04 17.39.32-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	24863  
Old 06-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #2385
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Damn squirrels chewed their way into the plastic bucket I keep the sunflower seeds in...
Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 AM   #2386
Master Chef

They'll gnaw their way through anything plastic! We used to put out a goldfinch feeder like this:

We also had to replace it several times a year because of the squirrels. Now we get the Droll Yankees brand goldfinch feeder because they offer a lifetime guarantee - and stand by it. Sadly, they don't make the upside-down feeder.

We used to keep our seed buckets (5-gallon covered tubs) in the garage. This past winter I moved them to the basement, figuring as long as we didn't have snow it would be easier to go up the bulkhead steps and fill the feeders right outside the basement. Now that it's summer, I thought of putting them IN the bulkhead. However, there have been too many bear sightings in eastern MA. I'm afraid a BEAR might smell it that way and rip the bulkhead open. Don't want to test my theory that the doors are probably bear-proof.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 AM   #2387
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
They'll gnaw their way through anything plastic! We used to put out a goldfinch feeder like this:

We also had to replace it several times a year because of the squirrels. Now we get the Droll Yankees brand goldfinch feeder because they offer a lifetime guarantee - and stand by it. Sadly, they don't make the upside-down feeder.

However, there have been too many bear sightings in eastern MA. I'm afraid a BEAR might smell it that way and rip the bulkhead open. Don't want to test my theory that the doors are probably bear-proof.
You also want to be aware of that new breed of coyote that is now plentiful. They have been spotted in Downtown Boston. They have longer legs than the regular coyote and have no fear of humans. A few have been shot and I am sure we will be hearing from the animal lovers real soon.

Love your shots of the wildlife in your yard.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #2388
Head Chef

The little house-shaped feeder in my yard was being popped open and de-roofed, spilling all the seed onto the ground. It now has a bungee cord reaching around the whole house from side to side, which stopped the wholesale pilfering, but is a nuisance to undo for filling. This little guy has no trouble climbing straight up the skinny shepherd's crook post to get to the feeder. See the thorns on the tree? I saw him climb upward using the thorns for hand-holds the way a rock-climber would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squirrel Pole Climber.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	24882  
Old 06-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #2389
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The little house-shaped feeder in my yard was being popped open and de-roofed, spilling all the seed onto the ground. It now has a bungee cord reaching around the whole house from side to side, which stopped the wholesale pilfering, but is a nuisance to undo for filling. This little guy has no trouble climbing straight up the skinny shepherd's crook post to get to the feeder. See the thorns on the tree? I saw him climb upward using the thorns for hand-holds the way a rock-climber would.
They are a pain but they are fun to watch!

Maybe it's time to invest in a Twirl-a-Squirrel or a Yankee Flipper!

Old 06-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #2390
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have baffles on both of my bird feeders. They really work to keep squirrels and coons out. The critters still try, but can't get to the feeders.