Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pac, do you know what kinds of woods were used for the different colors? I'd guess cherry and black walnut.

Thanks, Katy. It looks like it will shoot straight anyway.

It's just stained birch, Andy.

Beautiful wor, Pac! Very cool!

Not sure that I ever shared any of these, Great Falls, VA.

9422304437_75a0942ce6_b.jpg

9425074614_93c7098d31_b.jpg

Thanks Tat.

That is the coolest falls and rapids I've ever seen. The pictures make me want to go there before I die.

Tattrat, those pics are amazing! National Geo quality. :ohmy:
Luckytrim....what a beautiful and healthy looking little guy! I'm a sucker for baby and child pics. Congratulations. :wub:

A lot of history behind this WWII pistol.
Designed by John Moses Browning (that icon :punk:) and originally built in Belgium. But when Belgium knew it was going to fall to the Germans in the beginning of WWII the blueprints were gotten into British hands, who then got them into Canadian hands. And if it wasn't for the Chinese contracting them for their own problems with Japan probably would not have been made in Canada. But the John Inglis factory outside Toronto, Canada made them and most ended up being used by the Canadians and British. Some Americans, too. Mostly special operations guys. I think Inglis' factory makes Whirlpools now :LOL:
They were dubbed "Hi-Powers" because they were the first pistols with double-stack magazines, holding a lot of firepower for their time.
I should add it was the only gun used by both side of the war, as the Germans also kept production going in the Belgium plant and issued them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pac, cool to read about their history. But, I don't understand that first and last picture. What is that wooden stock? Is it attached to the Browning? Is that a magazine sticking out of the wooden stock?

It looks like the stock doubles as a holster. That's the butt of the pistol sticking out of the holster. Then you can take the pistol out of the stock/holster and mount the pistol onto the stock so it acts as a compact rifle (sort of). The stock on the pistol provides added steadiness for aiming/shooting.

It looks like the stock doubles as a holster. That's the butt of the pistol sticking out of the holster. Then you can take the pistol out of the stock/holster and mount the pistol onto the stock so it acts as a compact rifle (sort of). The stock on the pistol provides added steadiness for aiming/shooting.
Thanks Andy. I guess that does look more like the handle of the Browning than like a magasin. I'm trying to figure out how that stock attaches to the Browning.

Yep. Andy nailed it.
Very few stocks (holsters) were issued with the pistols, so they sat in Canada and remained in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. Andy nailed it.
Very few stocks (holsters) were issued with the pistols, so they sat in Canada and remained in good shape.
Neato. So, does the stock attach to the Browning with that hole at the back of the pistol (is it a pistol?) when it's being used as a stock and not as a holster?

Back
Top Bottom