"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Shp,
Try container gardening.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
What do the rest of you plant? Any tips?
Jeekinz, I live in a townhouse with a small backyard that has maybe 1/2 of topsoil, enough to hold down grass, and that's it. I've been a container gardener for 18 years.

Now I plant pretty much what you do, but I add a six-pack of Ichiban eggplants, herbs, ONE jalapeno plant, and annual flowers for my fence window boxes and hanging pots.

I do start heirloom tomato seeds, plant bean seeds, sunflower seeds and radish seeds (I plant the radishes around the perimeters of my tomato pots, so that I can harvest the rads without disturbing the tomato plants in the middle), but I buy the grape tomatoes and all the other plants. MUCH easier!

My garden is such a lovely and relaxing little place to come home to, especially on those balmy summer evenings!

Lee

Old 03-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Lovely pictures, thanks for posting them!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Head Chef

Oh my gosh, Square Foot Gardening is still around? We got that as a wedding present almost 30 years ago.

Sorry, just an aside.

We have very limited space and forewent tossing in seeds (except herbs) several years ago, largely due to the space problem.

Now we go to the store and buy the baby plants.

Our choices must be very limited. Always concentrate on tomatoes, which only do well for about six-to-eight weeks before they turn yellow and croak. Think the folks who lived here before us liberally flicked their ciggies into the plant beds and we have a heep of tobacco mosaic virus.

And then we have a small herb garden. The remainder of the farm is taken up by what we sorta fancy.

No room for stuff like spinach or okra (great plants but the yield per plant is just so limited for the space we have), or leeks (rats) or Brussel sprouts.

Or pumpkins. Used to love to grow them in other places.

Was unable to clean out the plant beds in the fall due to a fast weather change.

But will get out there just after I finish the ------nasty words omitted here--- income taxes.

But some of the trees are starting to flower here. A few days ago there was ice and snow, and now we have a few flowers poking up to greet the flowers on the trees.

Am always in awe of how that works.

Hope your gardens are the best ones ever.

God bless.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Qsis,
Your garden is lovely. Thank you for sharing it!

Container gardening is great even when you have a lot of property. It enables you to move your plants when the sun does, if necessary and it lets you choose the soil. It's really great for carrots and other root veggies. Its also easier on the back!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Nice garden QSis. These are the containers I bought from Lowes. I primarily use them for herbs and chili peppers. As someone else said, you can move these wherever you want too. Just below the deck is where I plant the veggies. This year I'm going to set up a drip irrigation system that can work on a timer.

I have the same flag on my front porch....LOL!

Old 03-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Here is a picture of the spinach I overwintered. This was a miracle. I usually do not even get a fall crop of spinach, let alone take any through the winter. I have harvested at least the 4 largest leaves from each plant by now, or else it would look like a quite bushy patch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spinach21 (2).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	2624  
Old 03-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Reimer Seeds

You want seeds, this place sells seeds!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Oh, I can't wait for my spinach to grow. There is almost nothing better than sauteed baby spinach leaves...a little garlic, evoo

Nice site, BethZ!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I agree Halfbaked. I like to add a few mushrooms to mine. ;)