"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Thanks to everyone for your plasticware suggestions. I really appreciate it!!! I am going to take everyones advice and just lay on the couch tonight and contemplate! Ha. Long day at the office! But I plan to get started this weekend. ;)

Lean Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I used to have enough drawers that I could dedicate one just for plastic lids. I did end up keeping way too many, though. Now I have corner cabinets w/ lazy susans inside. I stack the plastic bowls and then stack the lids on the shelf below them. I have a narrow cabinet where I keep all of my cookware lids.

When I moved late last August I purged ALOT of things. It is amazing how few things we really need. I am doing my best to keep it spare and not clutter up my cute little kitchen in the new house.

I love the Gladware plastic containers I get when I buy Hillshire Farms lunch meat. I re-use the containers and just toss them when they get stained (tomato sauce, etc.) or when I get too many.

AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #13
Executive Chef
My wife has cleaning mania OCD everywhere, she will spend hours in the supermarket cleaning Isle, she bought me toilet Duck and a brush for my birthday and yes real men do sit on the throne to take a pee, well only if they are cowards, I bought her 3 sets of self closing toilet lids for hers.
Ps when she starts putting Kleenex on the floor I'm calling Dr Pill the UK equivalent of Dr Phil.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
set to do a major sweep in kitchen. will be ruthless in tossing stuff. mostly bake ware and dishes i never use. cleaned out my walk in closet yesterday. four lg. bags and several boxes. also a deep fryer and dehydrator(used once)still have a foot bath and stand mixer to go. vietnam vets pick this stuff up.

spring cleaning through out the house is in full swing. have to tackle my craft and decorating closet next. big job. i have boxes of christmas stuff not used in four or five years. out with the old and hopefully not bring in much that is new.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Senior Cook
i've got to do some spring cleaning in my pantry and my cupboards. I have about 16 mugs that i don't use, but they're all a part of a set, that I may "one day" want to use...ugh...also have a lot of random food stuffs. Strange candies and jarred items that i won't eat...I guess I should catch this bug and fly with it. Maybe paint the pantry while i'm in there....
jacky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I have a mess of mugs that are sentimental, both for Shrek and me. I'm going to box up the older ones and put them in storage. We only use maybe 3 mugs a piece and most often the same one for weeks at a time. That should give me at least one extra shelf, if not two.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Last year I did a major cleanout in the kitchen. Thought that would do for awhile BUT I see now that I must deal with those plastic lids etc. Thanks to you people I now have some ideas on how to do that. I never thought of using a box to stand those lids. Odd as I use a lot of baskets to organize a lot of things in my cupboards, such as spices, vitamins and such.
Grandma Rose
Grandma Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Gotta say--I love my iRobot vacuum. With all the Saint hair in the house, I love "sending" "Buddy" out twice a day.
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Master Chef
I will only buy round plastic containers. That way they all stack, and the sauces and stocks, etc, can be frozen, popped out of the containers, stored. Then plopped into a sauce pan or pyrex-type measuring cup or bowl and re-heated. The side benefit is they all stack very well and don't take much space, even if they are different brands and sizes. No squares or rectangles.

When I lived in a trailer, I didn't take mixing or serving bowls at all, only used four pyrex measuring cups: 1 cup, 2 cups, 4 cups and 8 cups. They served many purposes and fit easily. Now I have many serving and mixing bowls, but those four pyrex measuring "cups" are ones I always recommend to folk starting their first kitchen.

A big help when you're looking at storage area is this, and many of my friends cannot stand it: When was the last time you used it? When will be the next time? I live in a potluck community, and no longer even own an electric skillet or crock-pot, two things I never would have done without in younger days. Now when I "need" one, I put out a couple of well-placed emails and said appliance will appear on my front porch (and they get invited to help eat the results, and we take pride in actually cleaning said equipment even cleaner than we received it)
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Head Chef
I buy those plastic container kits with the pullout stacking sections when I see them in the thrift shop.

Now I have 5 sets [not all complete]. I threw out all the other plastic containers.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote