Thanksgiving Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks, alix. that's a great idea. i was just looking into those vacu-seal things.

wow, mofet. are you making all of that by yourself?

ok, i just found out that we are making the turkey, the stuffing/dressing, gravy, and an apple and a pumpkin pie. i decided to get a fresh turkey this year from here: Home
i wonder if it will be any better than an injected, frozen one from the supermarket?

sis #1 and my mom are making savory green beans, broccoli rabe, mashed turnips, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, shrimp cocktail, and a pickles and olives platter.

sis #2 hopefully will just show up with her kids. that'd be good enough.

don't know where my brother is going, but it seems since his inlaws passed away, his wife isn't into a family thing anymore. :( not that she was before, either. lovely, ice-in-their-veins pennsylvania germans, they are. :ermm: (sorry about the mini-rant)

sis's #3 and 4 are going to thier in-laws with their clans, i think.

now i have to figure out how to transport a blazing hot, 20 lb turkey for an hour and a half car ride down the parkway, along with the pies and stuffing, all while the gravy gets defatted. :shock:
Yes Bucky well with a small amount of help and alot of complaining from my girl!! :LOL: She mostly fetches, washes and stirs between complaining!! BUT I am trying to teach her how to cook so she won't starve IF she ever moves out!! I have been told I am not allowed to die!! LOL

Seriously thats not much work. Most can be prepped/ pre-cooked ahead of time: stuffing can be made the night before (I don't use eggs so no danger there) and store in a zip bag. I prefer making it the night before if I am stuffing the bird so it is cold and I don't burn myself stuffing. But last few times I just make the stuffing and serve it right away no bird no bake and we love it like that. The mushroom stuffing can be made day ahead also. The cranberry/tangerine relish is uncooked and taste MUCH better if made 2 days in advance so it can meld. The veggies get cleaned and prepped and place in ZipLok Zip N Steam bags ready to pop in the microwave (veggies come out great in the steam bags), steam and mash the sweets and acorn ahead of time and placed in oven to heat through while baked sweets are in the oven, white taters peeled, cut placed in salted water first thing in morning and brought to a boil and turned off about an hour before needed and brought up to heat before mashing, pies the night before then cooled and put in the car if it is cold enough outside to use the car as a fridge till dessert!! LOL Gravy also can be prepped ahead and turkey juices added at the last minute and thickened. Whip the cream, brew the coffee and dessert is served!! And SNAP its done!!

Last edited:
thanks, princess fee. :)

mofet, that's a good idea about using the car if it's cold enough. out.

last year in december, i had to keep trays of sunday gravy cold for a few hours while the lasagnas baked, so i put them out on the table in the back yard. after a while, dw asked me where i put them having not found them in the fridge (she was raiding my meatballs for a snack). when i told her, she reminded me that we have 3 outdoor cats that live in our yard, and they might expect that the food was for them. :ohmy:

i rushed out just in time, and ended up putting them in the covered bed in my truck.

umm, the trays i meant. not the cats, lol.

thanks, princess fee. :)

mofet, that's a good idea about using the car if it's cold enough. out.

last year in december, i had to keep trays of sunday gravy cold for a few hours while the lasagnas baked, so i put them out on the table in the back yard. after a while, dw asked me where i put them having not found them in the fridge (she was raiding my meatballs for a snack). when i told her, she reminded me that we have 3 outdoor cats that live in our yard, and they might expect that the food was for them. :ohmy:

i rushed out just in time, and ended up putting them in the covered bed in my truck.

umm, the trays i meant. not the cats, lol.
Thanks Bucky!!

UMMMMMMMMMMMM I won't reply!! LOL :angel:

Here's my tentative menu subject to revision.

Good Eats Roast Turkey
Gravy
Traditional Sage Stuffing
Rice Pilaf
Creamed Onions
Cranberry Sauce with Orange and Nuts
Roasted Butternut Squash with Roasted Garlic and Brown Sugar
As Yet Undecided Green Vegetable
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Vanilla Ice Cream
Apple Cider
Maalox

I'll be cooking for my 40-something son & wife, who have been trying to eat more healthful foods, mostly successfully, having dropped several pounds over the summer. So, besides turkey and dessert - gotta have dessert , I'm searching for what passes as healthful for replacements -- they've nixed potatoes, gravy, dressing so far. Doesn't leave much of the traditional things. DIL is a self-described picky eater and has turned down brussels sprouts. She does like spinach, so maybe a spinach casserole is in the game. Questions: what delicious, low-cal veggies can I cook? Should I get tough with them and tell them we'll be having mashed potatoes? Maybe cut down on the butter & whip them with broth? The potatoes, not the kids. :rolleyes:

Good grief Ms. How many people are you feeding?

My living family is small, and my grown sons must do their "outlaw" thing this Thanksgiving. That's ok though, cuz I get them for Christmas, and that's much more important to me. :)

Hubby and I went out to eat at a restaurant last year and I sure don't want to do that again! We will be cooking a nice dinner of Thanksgiving for just ourselves this year, and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm doing a turkey roast, because I don't want to mess with a big ole bird.
Husband has requested an abundance of my dressing he loves so much.
Homemade simple cranberry sauce
Mashed taters and giblet gravy. Anyone care to donate me their giblets?
Green beans cooked in bacon and onion
Overnight green salad
Rolls and butter
Dessert will be Mountian Dew apple dumplings

A nice bottle of Chardonnay.

I'm cooking my first Thanksgiving ever and I will be cooking for 7 people. So far, this is the planned menu:

Turkey
Grilled steaks (my boyfriend won't eat turkey)
green bean casserole
baked corn casserole
stuffing
Baked Yams with marshmellow topping
Cucumber salad
Penna ala Vodka
homemade flat dumplings (recipe anyone?)
Cresent rolls

For dessert:

Pumpkin Pie
Cheesecake
Pumpkin Fudge
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

For appetizers/snacks throughout the day before the actual dinner:

7 layer Dip
Veggie Platter
Cheese and crackers platter
Chips & Salsa

I'll be cooking for my 40-something son & wife, who have been trying to eat more healthful foods, mostly successfully, having dropped several pounds over the summer. So, besides turkey and dessert - gotta have dessert , I'm searching for what passes as healthful for replacements -- they've nixed potatoes, gravy, dressing so far. Doesn't leave much of the traditional things. DIL is a self-described picky eater and has turned down brussels sprouts. She does like spinach, so maybe a spinach casserole is in the game. Questions: what delicious, low-cal veggies can I cook? Should I get tough with them and tell them we'll be having mashed potatoes? Maybe cut down on the butter & whip them with broth? The potatoes, not the kids. :rolleyes:
I belive you need to fix the things you love most, Adults on healthy diets need to control themselves. Not making somthing you adore only makes you unhappy. Tell your family as I do here it is take it or leave it. They have learned to take a taste here and there.I also make sure to do several dishes for those who need to and want to watch waistlines.
kadesma

I belive you need to fix the things you love most, Adults on healthy diets need to control themselves. Not making somthing you adore only makes you unhappy. Tell your family as I do here it is take it or leave it. They have learned to take a taste here and there.I also make sure to do several dishes for those who need to and want to watch waistlines.
kadesma

i totally agree, they don't to eat the things they think are unhealthy. if they have the courage of their convictions, that is. :rolleyes:

tin lizzie,
it sounds like they're doing the low carb thing. if you really must, i'd try to meet them half way.

in order to make mashed spuds healthier, you could do a 50/50 of mashed cauliflower and potatoes. at least you get to have some starch.

as far as dressing goes (i hope you meant stuffing/dressing) you can always make it out of turkey sausage, whole wheat bread, and wild and brown rice.

for veggies: my sis makes a savory stringbean dish that's very good. it's just lightly steamed stringbeans, dressed in red wine vinegar, evoo, the herb savory, and s&p.

also, my norskie mom couldn't have a holiday without mashed turnips. just skip the butter at the end.

:chef:

Thanks a lot, folks. Nice ideas, Bucky. Think I'll fix a 'healthy' side, then plow ahead with the usual Thanksgiving dishes. It is Thanksgiving, after all, isn't it?

I'm thinking about buying turkey pieces, thighs most likely, and a turkey breast -- since they cook for different times and there would still be bones for stock. No dressing/stuffing then. But my very favorite part of cooking Thanks giving dinner used to be picking the little crunchy pieces of Pepp. Farm herb dressing out of the juices around the roasted turkey. Yum yum.

Thanks a lot, folks. Nice ideas, Bucky. Think I'll fix a 'healthy' side, then plow ahead with the usual Thanksgiving dishes. It is Thanksgiving, after all, isn't it? QUOTE}

[QUOTE: I'm thinking about buying turkey pieces, thighs most likely, and a turkey breast -- since they cook for different times and there would still be bones for stock. No dressing/stuffing then. But my very favorite part of cooking Thanks giving dinner used to be picking the little crunchy pieces of Pepp. Farm herb dressing out of the juices around the roasted turkey. Yum yum.

Just make the stuffing in a pan. I always make enough for the bird plus a panful. Gotta have stuffing even if it's just for me.

I agree with your idea to make a side dish or two for them, but keep the traditional dishes. Just think, you'll have more leftover stuffing.:pig:

Last edited:
Okay, finally an agreement:

Roasted Turkey breast
Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Asparagus
Mashed Yukon Golds
Cranberry Sauce
Olive relish, Black and green Olives
Pumpkin Custard

It's just the two of us.

i will have two thanksgivings this year. my granddaughter is having dinner on the day before. her so kids aren't going to be there on the thanksgiving day. i have a" free " turkey. the best kind. will roast and take. requested my sweet potato casserole. think i will make some pumpkin bars as well.

my other granddaughter is have the real day dinner at her house. i am taking the green bean casserole (simple enough) found a recipe in a new appetizers magazine by bgh. think i will make it. sounds refreshing to me. a tomato-mozzarella toss. it looks beautiful in the mag. who knows it maybe come a favorite.

Hey PF.....why don't you come to our house? Just the two of us too!!
;)
Why don't the both of you and your hubs come here. Just 4 of us here & 4 more would almost be like the family holidays I remember as a child but my girls have been deprived.

Back
Top Bottom