Thanksgiving Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey PF.....why don't you come to our house? Just the two of us too!!
;)

Why don't the both of you and your hubs come here. Just 4 of us here & 4 more would almost be like the family holidays I remember as a child but my girls have been deprived.

I would love it! :) Thank you so much for the invites, but I won't be good company. I'm having oral surgery next week and odds are I won't be able to eat much and definitely not chew...that's why we have all gooshy food, I'm going to be mincing the turkey and stirring it into the gravy.:chef:

Were planning on the usual meal.
Party platters, are a must haves. I'll make sure to have all sorts of fattening things in them.

Turkey
Mashed taters / gravy
Whipped up sweet potatoes
Brussel sprouts
Sage dressing stuffed in the bird
Dinner rolls
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin and chocolate mouse pies

Nobody wants me working too much so I won't be setting the table up formal. Paper plates? I'm alright with that :LOL: It's just going to be us this year anyways. How did I get so lucky? :ohmy: Dodged the In laws again.

Vacation for hubby starts Monday. This year were going to keep things simple so I don't stress out over a dinner menu, get the house even more tidy for guests. It's going to be nice. I'm looking forward to this one.

Munky.

Last edited:
Were planning on the usual meal.
Party platters, are a must haves. I'll make sure to have all sorts of fattening things in them.

Turkey
Mashed taters / gravy
Whipped up sweet potatoes
Brussel sprouts
Sage dressing stuffed in the bird
Dinner rolls
Cranberry sauce
Pumpkin and chocolate mouse pies

Nobody wants me working too much so I won't be setting the table up formal. Paper plates? I'm alright with that :LOL: It's just going to be us this year anyways. How did I get so lucky? :ohmy: Dodged the In laws again.

Vacation for hubby starts Monday. This year were going to keep things simple so I don't stress out over a dinner menu, get the house even more tidy for guests. It's going to be nice. I'm looking forward to this one.

Munky.
Good for you honey. I was wondering:) Gil and I are having the meal here 14 of us, prime rib homemade pasta I conned Gil into making it:LOL: I did th gravy good dishes girls are busy helping us anti pasto tray in other words we've lost it:ROFLMAO: Have fun sweetie hope to see you again soon.;
cj

Since I am flying in for the feast I only have to make the pumpkin crack when I get there. I don't even know where the meal is being held yet - my two sisters were arguing about who HAD to have it. Dang, I wish they would all just come here. I love cooking for the masses, especially the masses I am related to!

Since I am flying in for the feast I only have to make the pumpkin crack when I get there. I don't even know where the meal is being held yet - my two sisters were arguing about who HAD to have it. Dang, I wish they would all just come here. I love cooking for the masses, especially the masses I am related to!
I'm afraid to ask but .................... what is pumpkin crack?

WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!! I scored turkey wings!! I can make turkey stock!! I can't always find just turkey wings in packages.

I'm afraid to ask but .................... what is pumpkin crack?

nothing dangerous. here you go, recycled from a post in another thread:

Thanks to crewsk for posting this way back when. Crewsk called it Pumpkin Crunch Cake but my family calls it Pumpkin Crack:

Layer1- 1(16oz.)can pumpkin
1(12oz.)can evaporated milk
3 eggs
3/4C. sugar
1/2tsp. cinnamon
Mix well & pour into 9x13 well greasd baking pan.

Layer2- Sprinkle 1 box(dry)butter recipe cake mix over layer#1.

Layer3- Melt 1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine, pour evenly over cake mix.

Layer4- Top with 1 1/2C. chopped pecans.
Bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour. Cool completely.

Layer5- 2C. powdered sugar
8oz. cream cheese, softened
8oz. cool whip, thawed
Mix well & spread on cooled cake. Keep refrigerated. Eat & enjoy.

nothing dangerous. here you go, recycled from a post in another thread:

Thanks to crewsk for posting this way back when. Crewsk called it Pumpkin Crunch Cake but my family calls it Pumpkin Crack:

Layer1- 1(16oz.)can pumpkin
1(12oz.)can evaporated milk
3 eggs
3/4C. sugar
1/2tsp. cinnamon
Mix well & pour into 9x13 well greasd baking pan.

Layer2- Sprinkle 1 box(dry)butter recipe cake mix over layer#1.

Layer3- Melt 1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine, pour evenly over cake mix.

Layer4- Top with 1 1/2C. chopped pecans.
Bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour. Cool completely.

Layer5- 2C. powdered sugar
8oz. cream cheese, softened
8oz. cool whip, thawed
Mix well & spread on cooled cake. Keep refrigerated. Eat & enjoy.
Hey Bug so good to see you . have a wonderful Turky day. I hope you know we miss you.
kades

Good for you honey. I was wondering:) Gil and I are having the meal here 14 of us, prime rib homemade pasta I conned Gil into making it:LOL: I did th gravy good dishes girls are busy helping us anti pasto tray in other words we've lost it:ROFLMAO: Have fun sweetie hope to see you again soon.;
cj

14? WOW! That's 14 very lucky people. Sounds like it's going to a fantastic dinner. Hope you enjoy every minute of it :)

I can't wait for the day to get here already. It's been requested that I make again this year Goodweeds pie crusts, "square pumpkin pie" just like last year. I can't say no to that. Both boys really enjoyed helping Mom make it when I couldn't. It's tradition now. I'm thankful just to be home with all of them.

Have a great holiday Kades :)

Munky.

I would love it! :) Thank you so much for the invites, but I won't be good company. I'm having oral surgery next week and odds are I won't be able to eat much and definitely not chew...that's why we have all gooshy food, I'm going to be mincing the turkey and stirring it into the gravy.:chef:

Aww, (((PF))). Owie!! I was going to bring up the thing about "mashed asparagus" on your menu. :sick::dry:
Now I get it. :flowers:

I'd love to come to your house Ms, and sample your wonderful cooking.....but it seems plans have changed now.
Older son's plans with the "outlaws" fell through, so he and his brood will be coming here, or hubby and I will be going there. I hope we will be going there, as he does the most delicious turkey I've ever tasted.
He injects it with Cajun marinade, and cooks it on the charcoal Webber.
He's done deep fried turkeys but nothing beats his Cajun Webber Turkey.
He has a special metal "collar" that sits on top of the Webber, and the lid goes on top of that, so he can do a 20 lb. turkey with that setup. It's really bar none, the best turkey ever!

Aww, (((PF))). Owie!! I was going to bring up the thing about "mashed asparagus" on your menu. :sick::dry:
Now I get it. :flowers:

Teeth were done this morning, not doing too bad, but the all liquid diet is a bit yucky. Time for more tylenol!!:)

Hope you're ok
kades

I'm just fine Kades, thank you! Even got some Mod work done. I'm not as befuddled by pain meds and hypnotics as I thought I might be. I'm practicing talking with the dentures in...I sound funny!:LOL:

Okay, finally an agreement:

Roasted Turkey breast
Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Asparagus
Mashed Yukon Golds
Cranberry Sauce
Olive relish, Black and green Olives
Pumpkin Custard

It's just the two of us.

I have never heard of Mashed Asparagus before. How do you fix it?

I have never heard of Mashed Asparagus before. How do you fix it?

Steamed past the tender stage and pureed, to accomodate my new dentures I got today. Otherwise, we would be having a whole turkey and the asparagus would be crisp tender.

Thanksgiving was in October for Canadians.

Last year I had two Thanksgivings. One with the in-laws in October. I did the turkey and my b-i-l complained that the breast wasn't dry enough!

Then I had Thanksgiving in November with my sister in a vegetarian restaurant! It was tasty, but I later realized that the fake turkey was probably made with soy and I'm not supposed to have more than teensy amounts of soy.

No big Thanksgiving tradition in my family. My parents were Scandinavian immigrants and totally unfamiliar with it. My mum did a good meal: turkey with a meat loaf stuffing, potatoes, gravy, veg, cranberry sauce, rolls. No pumpkin pie, because my entire family detests it, but there was some sort of tasty dessert. Sweet potatoes/ yams also not part of my mother's repertoire.

Steamed past the tender stage and pureed, to accomodate my new dentures I got today. Otherwise, we would be having a whole turkey and the asparagus would be crisp tender.

Thank you for replying.

My son has to work 12 hours on Thanksgiving. By the time he gets off work at 6pm gets his children from their mothers and shows up it will probably be 7:30. So sense I am getting laid off on the 30th, we are just postponing until a later date.
On Thanksgiving day I will probably have my own recipe of (was chicken) Turkey and rice, Smells like Thanksgiving. Veggies with.

But on the postponed day:

Roast Turkey
Stuffed Ham
Stuffing regular/vegetarian (oldest granddaugher)
Gravy
Mashed russet potatoes
Sweet Potato Casserole with nut crumb topping
Green Beans with lemon pepper
Corn
Cranberry Sauce
Lion House Rolls

Pumpkin and Apple Crunch Pies:chef:

Last edited:
Roasted Turkey
Sage Dressing
Oyster Dressing - some don't care for oysters so I make both
Chicken & Noodles
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Scalloped Corn
Buttered Brussel Sprouts
Sweet Potato Casserole - this will be a new addition (fingers crossed)
Dinner Rolls with a choice of topping Butter, Honey Butter or Strawberry Jam
Deviled Eggs
Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs - this will be a new addition (fingers crossed)
Relish/Pickle Tray
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Pie

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom