"The Cats Of Stony River" by Joyce G. Reilly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when he got about five or six months old, he sprayed her suede purse. That's when she started to call him Monster, and it stuck," Carrie told them.

Meows shook his head. "Well, at least she didn't name him Foo-Foo or something frilly like that."

Paul laughed. "Now Foo-Foo is a terrible name for a tomcat!"

"You better hope your cat doesn't talk," said Bart. "If he does, the first thing he's going to do is read you the riot act for giving him a name like that."

"If he can talk, believe me, he can pick his own name," Paul smiled.

"Yeah, I think I'd give him that option too," agreed Suzanna.

The cats finished their cake and milk, and charged off to the computer again.

"That is so amazing," said Paul, watching from the living room.

Carrie and Suzanna shrugged. "You get used to it," said Carrie.

"And your vet doesn't know? Can't he tell they're different?" asked Paul.

"Could you tell they were different before you found out the secret?" asked Suzanna with a smile.

"Hmm. No," he replied. "I see your point."

"Eeeeeeewwwwwww!!!" Belle squawked from the computer room. Bart laughed; Meows sighed.

"Ah, I see she Googled your cat's name," said Carrie.

Paul and Suzanna laughed.

"Sounds like it," he agreed.

He knew he wasn't going to live this down any time soon.

Chapter 9 – Zeus and the Vicious Beasts

Paul opened the door to the warm, spacious log home and as usual, Booger came running to him, purring. He took the bag of leftovers to the kitchen, and fixed the beautiful brown and black tabby a plate of turkey and ham. The cat dug in, and Paul petted him.

"I sure wish you could talk, buddy," he said softly, and left Booger in the kitchen to finish his goodies.

Paul settled into the couch in the living room and turned on the TV to catch the weather report. Picking up the newspaper, he scanned the front page, and yawned. It was so nice to be able to pick up the paper and not see murders and major crimes and destruction splashed all over the front page as was often the case in the city. The peace and quiet here was a tonic to his city-shattered system. And talking cats. He shook his head. No wonder they talked here. People listen to you here; even to cats, it seemed.

"So," came a voice behind him. "Who says I can't talk? You humans are so arrogant sometimes. Did you know that?”

Paul froze. This was not happening.

"Well? You just said you wished I could talk. Now I'm talking, and you're not. Cat got your tongue?" He jumped up on the couch and sat next to Paul, who stared at him.

"Well? Hello? Anybody home in there?"

"Holy ----!! You too?!" Paul finally gasped.

Booger calmly washed his paw. "You'd be surprised at how many cats can talk. I also read and I use your computer when you're not home. We're not dumb animals, like you people like to call us. And by the way, whose idiot idea was it to name me Booger? What an incredibly asinine name for a feline! What were you thinking? How would you like being named Booger? That's nuts! I hate that."

"Uhh...change it to whatever you want," said Paul. "Why didn't you tell me before that you talked and all that?"

Booger shrugged. "Maybe you weren't ready. I don't know. Maybe I didn't feel like it. Maybe I decided to choose my own time for you to know. Oh and by the way, I want to be named Zeus."

"Zeus?" Paul repeated.

"You heard right," said the cat. “Got a problem with that or do I start calling you ‘Dork’ or something?”

"Okay, Zeus."

"Thank you. Also, for your information, if we ate more seafood around here, you might lose a little of that gut there," Zeus pointed out.

Oh great! The cat not only talks, but he's a wiseass! Paul thought.

"I don't have a gut! I'm not overweight," he replied.

"If you say so. Then maybe you need to exercise. You do sit around a lot."

"I do not! Look who's talking. You sleep sixteen hours a day," Paul retorted.

I can't believe I'm arguing with a cat!

"I'm a cat. That's normal for cats," Zeus replied.

Paul shook his head and reached for the cordless phone. "Wait til Carrie hears about this."

"You're NOT going to tell anybody!" Zeus yelled, fluffing up at Paul.

"Calm down, dingbat, her cats talk too. So does one of Suzanna's, and two of Joyce’s too," Paul said. "Don't worry, you're safe."

Zeus glared at him. "I better be. Or I can dummy up real quick and make you look like a babbling nutcase.”

Paul smiled and reached out and scratched Zeus's chin. "Just a very few people. And I'll introduce you to the other sentient cats."

Zeus licked Paul's hand and nuzzled it. "Are they nice? What are they like?"

"I'll tell you all about them tonight," Paul promised, punching in Carrie's number. “I’ll see if I can arrange to have you meet them tomorrow.”

"Okay." Zeus settled back to listen to Paul talk to Carrie.

Carrie picked up on the second ring. "Hello?"

"Hi. It's Paul. He talks," Paul said.

Carrie laughed. "Hey Suzanna, Booger talks!" she exclaimed, away from the phone.

"Uh, his name is Zeus now. You can tell Bart he was right. I got read the riot act about that."

"Zeus? Oh my," said Carrie. Suzanna picked up the extension.

"So, did you faint?" asked Suzanna.

"Not quite," Paul replied. "But it was a bit of a shock again."

"I'd love to check your blood pressure right now," Carrie giggled.

"This has been a day from...I don't know. Can I bring him over tomorrow to meet the others?"

"Sure. I'll see if I can get Pook and Saav over here too. That will be fun," Carrie suggested.

"Oh, Joyce is going to love this -- another talking furball," laughed Suzanna.

"I bet she will. Oh -- he uses the computer when I'm not home," Paul told them.

"Uh-oh, you're gonna be investing in a laptop soon," Suzanna warned him. "After Meows shared his secret with me, he didn't have to hide anything anymore, so Zeus may take over your computer. Meows did."

Zeus heard that. "That's part of the reason I said something. I would like to use the computer more, too.”

"Was that Boo -- Zeus?" asked Carrie.

"Yep," Paul smiled. "And I guess he's going to want his own too. Geez! This is going to get expensive. Anything else I need to know? Now’s the time, ladies.”

"Laptops are easier on their paws," said Suzanna. "Desktop computers aren't paw-friendly at all."

"I can't believe I'm having this discussion," said Paul, shaking his head. "Paw-friendly computers. Well, I can handle that. Since I'm retired now, he can have the laptop I got for business a couple years ago."

Zeus perked his ears up. "You already have one? I didn't know that."

"It's been packed away for a while," Paul said to Zeus. "I'll get it out for you tonight."

"Wow. Thanks," Zeus replied.

"Listen to them," giggled Suzanna to Carrie.

"Sound like old friends," laughed Carrie.

"Well, I guess we are," said Paul. "Ladies, I'm going to go dig up a laptop for a cat. We'll see you tomorrow."

They wished each other a good night, and Paul hung up the phone and looked at Zeus.

Zeus looked back in interest.

"Hmmm...I think it's in the upstairs hall closet. C'mon, Zeus."

"Oh no you are NOT putting me in the crate!" yelled Zeus the next morning as Paul prepared to take him over to Carrie's for the day.

"Why? You never fussed before," Paul said.

"Because you were afraid I'd run all over the car and get my head stuck under the brake pedal or something. I couldn't tell you I can just sit in the seat. And how come you didn't scramble me any eggs this morning? I had to eat that fake fishy-flavored cardboard crap."

"What? You want people food now?"

"What's wrong with that?" asked Zeus, as Paul put the crate back on the shelf in the garage. "A sardine omelet topped with sour cream now and then would be nice."

Paul almost gagged. "Yuck!"

Zeus sighed. "Oh, you are going to be lots of fun to train."

"Speaking of training, can't you learn to use the toilet?"

"And cheat myself out of getting to watch you scoop my box? No way," Zeus said.

"Oh, thanks a lot," Paul sighed. "Ok. Let me get this straight. You have your own computer and desk, your own little room in that upstairs storage area with a window no less, you want people food now, more seafood, and you won't make it a little easy on me and learn to use the toilet?"

Zeus nodded. "Right."

"Then I won't change your name at the vet's," Paul threatened.

Zeus stuck out a shiny, razor-sharp claw. "Then you bleed."

Paul glared at him. "I think I liked you better before you talked."

"No you didn't. Can I take my computer to Carrie's?"

"I guess so, Pook and Saav bring theirs. Crap....she's on DSL. I got a DSL cable in here I think…”

"What? No wireless? Does she live in a cave?"

Paul laughed. "No, she just has DSL. You think that's bad...Joyce is on dial-up."

Zeus shivered. "Gaahhhh! Talk about primitive."

"You be nice. And you be nice to everyone today, too," Paul admonished him, and found the cable tucked in a pocket of the laptop case.

"Oh, like I'm going to go over there and pick a fight with two tomcats who are bigger than me. Please. Don't insult my intelligence."

"Wouldn't dream of it," Paul said, his voice heavy with sarcasm.

"Oh, and another thing. I hate those stupid cop shows you watch on TV."

"Then don't watch them," Paul said, packing the laptop and power cord into its case.

"Couldn't you watch something a little more enlightening like Discovery or the History Channel?" Zeus asked.

"There's four TVs in this house. Pick one and Discover away."

"I'm a little concerned about what you're putting into your head."

"What's wrong with cop shows?"

"They're violent and all they do is show the nasty side of life, that's what," the cat replied.

"Like I said, there's four TVs. Pick one."

Zeus shook his head. "Boy, are you stubborn!"

"And you're bossy," Paul retorted, zipping the case closed. "Ready to go?"

"Sure," Zeus replied.

Paul and Zeus went to the garage and the tabby jumped up in the passenger seat of Paul’s gold Nissan.

“Now you stay over there,” Paul told him, raising the garage door and starting the car.

“Oh, please. I know how to act in a car, for God’s sakes. Whoa! Slow down! You’re backing up a little fast there!”

“No I’m not,” Paul replied.

“Oh geez, you’re going to kill us. Get out of the ditch over here!” yelled Zeus.

“I’m not in any ditch! What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Me? You’re the one trying to kill us!” Zeus retorted.

“Zeus, I’m not trying to kill us. Give it a rest, willya?” Paul snapped.

"Slow down! Gaaahh! You always were a lousy driver. It's a wonder you haven't killed somebody yet. Watch the trees there!" Zeus yelled at Paul.

"Oh, shut up!" snarled Paul. "I see the trees!"

"Have you had your eyes checked? You almost crawled up that guy's tailpipe there. Can't you --"

"Either you quit back-seat driving or I'll make you ride in the trunk."

"What? That's cruel! You want me to die from the exhaust fumes?"

"You know, I REALLY liked you better when you didn't talk," sighed Paul.

"Bah! No you didn't. Want to try staying off the sidewalk?"

"I'm not on the sidewalk!"

"Darn close. Do you have a depth perception problem?" asked Zeus, as they pulled up to a stoplight.

"Get off my back!" Paul yelled at him. The lady in the car next to them looked over and saw Paul yelling at a cat. Zeus stifled a laugh and Paul stared straight ahead, his face turning red.

"Bet she thinks you're senile," snickered Zeus.

Paul just fumed silently. "One of these days I'm going to make a rug out of you," he snarled.

"You're a sicko. Light's green, you going to do something or wait for the next one?"

"Why aren't you a normal cat?" Paul snorted.

"Why aren't you a normal human? Watch the truck, there. You're going to kill us."

"No I'm not going to kill us! YOU, maybe, if you don't back off!"

"Oh, please. You haven't had this much stimulating conversation in a year. You love it and you know it. Are you staying with us at Carrie's today?"

"No. I'm dumping you and I'm going to seriously consider running away."

"What a comedian you are," yawned Zeus.

"I wasn't being funny. No, she'll be busy in the shop, and you'll be busy getting to know everyone. I'm probably going to just get some shopping done and go to the bookstore. Do you read books?"

The cat nodded. "Of course.”

"What do you like to read?"

"History and philosophy, mostly. I like your books."

"Okay, then I'll pick some up for us, if I can find anything good," said Paul.

"What, they don't allow cats in the bookstore?"

Paul laughed. "Well, I don't know. I'll ask while I'm there today. Do you want anything else?"

"Maybe some tuna and crab," said Zeus, licking his whiskers.

"Oh, I was going to go to the grocery store and get you some delights from the deli. By the way, you'll get plenty of seafood today. Carrie's shop is next to the best seafood restaurant in town."

"The one you brought the scampi and scallops home from last night?"

"That's the one. Ralph always sends the leftovers to the cats at Carrie's, and to Sunshine at the B&B."

"He's the normal cat, right?"

"Yep. Like I wish you were."

"No you don't. Watch the curb," said Zeus.

"Here we are," Paul said, pulling up to Carrie's shop and apartment. He scooped Zeus and the computer case up and carried them inside and found Carrie.

"Boo -- Zeus! Hi there," Carrie greeted the cat.

"Hello, Carrie. Ack! Paul, you're choking me. Put me down."

Paul dumped him unceremoniously on the counter, getting a glare for that. "How are you doing, Carrie?"

She laughed. "You look a little frazzled. Rough night?"

Paul frowned at Zeus. "Back-seat driver."

Zeus glared at him again. “Lousy driver,” he muttered. “He’s going to kill us someday.”

“No I’m not! See what I mean?” Paul looked exasperated.

"Oh, my. Well, Zeus, come on upstairs and I'll introduce you to everyone," Carrie said.

"I brought his computer, if you have enough room to hook it up," Paul told her.

"Oh, yes, plenty in the computer room. Bring it up here."

Meows, Bart, Belle, Pook, and Saav all looked up with interest as Zeus came in. Abandoning the computers, the cats ran to greet him and get to know him. Carrie and Paul watched as Zeus introduced himself nicely to them and they began to talk.

Carrie hooked up Zeus's computer. "Looks like they're going to get along just fine," she observed.

"I think so," he agreed. "Well, I'll be back at five to get him."

Paul stepped outside into the blustery winter air, and eyed the bookstore and coffeeshop, The Daily Grind, across the street. Hot chocolate might taste good. Maybe he could find a book or two on unusual cats, he thought as he crossed the street and went inside. It was busy, and he noticed they had finally installed the wireless Internet service, as several people were working away on laptops. It was quite crowded, and as he got his cup, he leaned against the wall, waiting for a table.

"You can join me if you like," said a voice at his elbow. He looked down. Sitting at a corner table for two was a handsome woman with long graying brown hair and twinkling, sky-blue eyes. "No one is sitting there," she said, gesturing to the empty chair across from her.

Paul smiled. "Thank you," he said, and sat down. "Kind of crowded today, isn't it?"

She nodded. "It usually is, this time of the morning. Pardon me for being nosy, but did I just see you take a cat into Carrie's shop over there?"

"Oh, yes, that was me. My cat likes to visit Carrie's cats," Paul said, hoping he sounded convincing.

"She has such cute ones. And there's another two or three that like to visit. I bet I know what the secret to all that is," she smiled at him.

The secret? Paul's blood ran cold and his hand began to shake. Did she know about their unusual talents too? How? Does she have one too? He put his cup down. "What's the secret?"

She pointed across the street. "The seafood place next door. I bet they love those scraps. And, Carrie has a lovely apartment with a nice window seat and those pretty balconies that’re probably a cat’s favorite spots.”

Whew! Relief flooded Paul's chest. He laughed. "You're right. Ralph always gives the cats the leftovers. They love it. My cat especially likes the window seat,” he lied. He probably does, if he’s discovered it by now.

"Best thing in the world to do with that leftover food. At least it's not wasted. And it's appreciated as well."

"Yes, I know my cat appreciates those scraps."

"I used to have a cat. She was twenty-one when she went to the Bridge," said the woman.

"Oh. I'm sorry. That's a good long time for a cat, though. I hope I get to keep mine that long," he said kindly.

The woman smiled at him. "I hope you do too. I thought about getting another, but it's only been a little over a year since Patches went. I'm not ready yet."

Paul looked at her sympathetically. "I know how that feels," he said gently, and put his hand out to her. "My name's Paul."

"Sandy Larson," she smiled, shaking his hand with a confident grip. "Nice to meet you."

"Are you from here?" he asked.

She laughed. "Oh, no, I'm a transplant from the city. I came here about six years ago, and I wouldn't go back for all the tea in China."

"I am too. I retired early, and bugged out. This is a wonderful town."

"Oh, it is. The people are what make it. Do you work at anything now or are you just enjoying your retirement?"

"A little of both. I'm enjoying my retirement, and I'm working on a book..."

Sandy looked at her watch. "We've been here for an hour! Do you need to be anywhere?"

Paul laughed. "No, not really. An hour? Wow. What about you? Do you need to be anywhere?"

She shook her head. "No, I just thought I'd come in here for some coffee. It's cold outside."

"Yes, and windy. Goes through you like a knife. Would you like another cup?” he asked.

"Why, thank you, I’d love one more. Just the regular blend,” she smiled.

“That’s pretty easy,” said Paul, getting up. “I won’t be able to mess that order up. I’ll be right back.”

He returned a moment later with two full cups. “I thought I’d try the regular blend this time. I never tried it before. Always went for the cappuccino and flavored ones. Or the minty hot chocolate.”

“I tried a few of those, but just never really took to them, I guess. Or I’m just too old and set in my ways to change now,” Sandy laughed.

"Somehow I doubt that. You know, I've told you all about me, but now it's your turn. Tell me about you," he said.

"There isn't much to tell..."

He found out she was divorced a long time, in her early 50s, and a retired psychiatrist who now worked part-time at the library to keep herself busy. She lived three blocks from the B&B in a little cottage next to the Baptist Church, and knew all of Paul's friends. Sandy especially admired Carrie and Suzanna for being such successful businesswomen. She didn’t know Joyce well, but she knew who she was.

“Oh, she’s the one who bought the drug house,” she said.

“The drug house?” Paul asked.

“Oh, yes. We don’t have much of a drug problem in town, but in other areas in the county, meth is a problem. Her house was used by renters as a meth lab before the renters got arrested and the house was foreclosed on when the owner skipped town.”

“Wow! I didn’t know that. Those things are dangerous and they really stink, don’t they?”

“Oh, yes, horribly. Carrie said she nearly threw up the first time she walked in to look at it with her. But it’s a lovely little place now. She gutted it and started over,” Sandy told him.

“Seems to be the theme of the town,” Paul mused.

“Pardon?”

He laughed. “Carrie and Suzanna started over. I started over here. Looks like she did too.”

“Well, then, I suppose I did too. You might have a point,” she agreed.

“It’s a good place for it.”

Sandy looked around at the little coffeeshop/bookstore. “This town has…character. I like it.”

“I agree, it does. I was going to go browse the bookshelves,” said Paul, indicating their now-empty cups. “Would you like to join me?”

"I'd love to," she smiled, getting up.

"Sooooo...you got a lady friend?" asked Zeus, in the car on the way home. "I saw you come out of the coffeeshop and parade up and down the street with her all day."

"I did not parade with anybody. You mind your own business," said Paul.

"Ooooo, did I hit a nerve? Tsk. What did you get at the grocery store for me?"

"All kinds of good stuff. Even some Brie. It would behoove you to be nice to me."

"Yeah, yeah. You're really going to take me to Carrie's every day?"

"During the week and Saturdays, yeah, maybe Sundays too, if she doesn't mind."

"She said she didn't. I do enjoy them, Paul. Those cats are just what I thought others like me would be. Your descriptions of them last night were right on target. Pook and Saav are clowns, Bart's a blast, Meows is brilliant, and Belle is absolutely delightful. They liked your computer; it's faster than theirs."

"Well, it was really expensive. Besides, it's yours now," said Paul.

Zeus laughed. "Imagine a cat owning a computer."

"Well, you do," Paul smiled.

"Carrie and Suzanna were right about laptops for cats. Mine's a whole lot easier to use...as they said, it is paw-friendly. By the way, Carrie’s got wireless.”

“I didn’t know that,” said Paul.

"So who's the woman?" Zeus asked.

"What woman?"

"The one you were with today."

"Oh, just a new friend I met. Her name's Sandy. Don't get any ideas."

"Who, me? You were pretty cozy with her, you know. What am I supposed to think?" Zeus said, purposefully baiting Paul just for fun.

"Cozy? I never touched her! I shook her hand twice. I hardly call that cozy," protested Paul.

Zeus snickered. "So, when's she coming over to meet me?"

"What?! I just met her today! I didn't even think about that," retorted Paul.

"You humans make things so complicated. Why don't you just do what cats do and simply --"

"I don't want to hear about it!" snapped Paul. "I know what cats do. That's not in the picture here."

"You don't know what you're missing," sighed Zeus.

"How would you know? You're a fixed, inside cat."

"I'm still a cat. I know."

Paul sighed. "Whatever. What do you want for dinner tonight?"

"You mean people food?"

"Well, I'm not eating cat food, and apparently cat food isn't good enough for you any more, so yes, people food."

"What did you get at the store?" asked Zeus.

"Steaks, shrimp, hamburger, salmon, all kinds of good stuff."

"Salmon? Broiled in butter with lemon pepper?"

"One day of hanging out next door to a seafood restaurant and all of a sudden you're an expert. Yes, I can do that if you want," Paul said.

"That sounds tasty. Belle likes vegetables, did you know that? It drives Bart nuts."

"I had heard that, yes."

"What happened to Saav? Belle is bigger than her and not even full-grown yet," asked Zeus. “Pook’s the same age as Saav but almost half again as big.”

"She was a runt and barely made it to six weeks old, then she got hurt and, I think, got pneumonia at the same time. They seem to think that rough start stunted her growth a bit."

"I wondered if it was something like that. She's a little scruffy, too. But she and Pook are a pair!"

“They are,” Paul smiled.

“They’re sisters?”

“No, but they were born within a day or so of each other and grew up together.”

“Hmmm. They are both fun. All of them, especially Meows, are very intelligent,” said Zeus.

"Yeah, they are. Sounds like you do enjoy them. What did you do all day?"

"We were helping Belle learn about World War I, we ate a lot, we all curled up for a nap on that big window seat, and when we woke up, just before you got there, we played checkers. That's a little awkward without opposing thumbs, but Belle wanted to learn the real thing," Zeus explained.

"Sounds like an interesting day," said Paul.

"It was." Zeus yawned. "But boy, Belle will wear you out with her nonstop questions."

"She loves learning."

“I think I like that little Saav. She writes really well. Have you read any of her short stories?”

“Not yet. But she said she’d email me a few of them,” said Paul.

“You’ll like them. Pook does amazing things on that graphics program she has. Makes some neat pictures.”

“They’re pretty talented, from what I’ve seen. More talented than I am,” Paul smiled.

"What books did you find for us?" asked Zeus, pawing at the bag of books sharing his seat.

"Oh, a couple good ones about cats with unusual talents in Celtic and Eastern European lore, and 'The Rise And Fall of the Third Reich,' an oldie but a goodie. It was on sale. I found some books of Socrates’ and Niezche’s works for you. I found a good book on the history of this state, and it mentions this area quite a bit.”

"That sounds good. Did you find out if they allow cats in the bookstore?"

"Yes. They do. You can also go to the library, the B&B of course, and most of the shops and all the restaurants that have outdoor dining," Paul said.

"Sounds like you did your homework while you were out panting after your lady friend," said Zeus.

"I was NOT panting after her!" Paul snapped at him.

"Yeah, right. Sure you weren't. You human males aren't really that much different from we cat males in that --"

"Don't start with that 'do the cat thing' again!" yelled Paul.

"Drives you nuts, doesn't it?" Zeus grinned.

"I still liked you better before you talked!"

"No you didn't. You missed the driveway."

Paul swore and turned the Nissan Altima around in a neighbor's driveway, and went back up his own. He parked in the garage, and gathered the bags and computer and went inside.

"Where do you want this thing?" asked Paul, indicating the laptop.

"On my desk is fine," said Zeus.

"I'll be working in the kitchen on dinner. Want to help?"

"You're kidding, right? What am I going to do? Peel and slice carrots?"

"Keep me company."

"Oh. Okay. Just set up the computer here on the table, then. What else are we having?" asked Zeus.

Paul put the laptop on the table, plugged it in, and lifted the lid. Zeus pawed it on.

"I thought steamed veggies and a salad."

"Yeccch." Zeus made a face. "I'll just stick with the salmon. Oooo! How about some of that smoked Gouda you have here?" He was pawing through the deli bag.

"Gimme that. I don't need claw marks in everything. Here, I'll cut up some pieces for you."

"Make em small. Cat-sized bites. Makes it a lot easier," muttered Zeus. "Hey, is that caviar?"

"Yes. And it's incredibly expensive, so don't expect a steady diet of it," Paul told him.

"What else? Is that sardines? Oh...smoked oysters are good! Tuna...crabmeat...hey, you did pretty good, for a rookie."

"A rookie?!"

"Well, yes. Ooooo! Is that herring? Yes! Very good. What else did you get?"

"Oh...that reminds me..." Paul put the little plate of cheese, caviar, and a sardine in front of the cat and headed toward the garage. "Be right back."

Zeus nodded and nosedived into the caviar. Paul returned a moment later with a box.

Zeus looked up and belched. "What's that?"

"For you," said Paul, opening the box and pulling out a small pillow and matching blue paisley comforter, about the right size for a baby or very small child. "You said you wanted your own pillow and blanket last night."

Zeus stared at the soft pillow and blanket, then left his unfinished plate to nuzzle Paul's hand and purr for him.

"Thanks! I had forgotten about that," said Zeus. "But you didn't."

"Nope. Now you'll be comfy, buddy."

Zeus returned to his plate. "It sure has been a great day," he said around a mouthful of cheese.

Paul cut a few slices of the Gouda for himself, and put some rye crackers and the cheese on a plate, and sat down with his cat. "Yeah, it's been a very different day as well."

They had their snacks in silence for a few moments, then Zeus finished his plate and curled up on the comforter still lying on the table. Paul watched him.

"I want to help you with your book," said Zeus suddenly.

Paul looked surprised. "You do? What would you like to do?"

"I can help with the research, and I can proofread," he suggested.

"That sounds like it'll work. I'll get what I have done out for you and let you read it," said Paul. "Then you can make changes or continue."

"I've already read it," smiled Zeus. "It's good. It just needs a couple holes filled."

"Okay, then, see what you can do with it. I kinda hit a wall on it or something."

"Writer's block. It happens to everyone."

"It's no fun," sighed Paul.

"Have you let Carrie and Suzanna read it yet?" asked Zeus.

"Suzanna has. She liked it."

Zeus nodded. "Her B&B is in it...only back then it was a boarding house. You could actually continue with subsequent books through the Roaring 20s, the Depression years, World War II, et cetera."

Paul raised an eyebrow. "That's an idea. I hadn't thought of a series."

Zeus shrugged, and washed a paw. "See how well the first one does, and go from there."

"Sounds like a plan. I really want to get the thing done."

An hour later, Zeus had copies of the disc that held the book, and was intently reading on the kitchen table. He had pulled his blanket and pillow around to the front of the computer and was absently kneading it as he read.

Paul was broiling salmon steaks and steaming vegetables, watching Zeus from time to time. The cat was buried in the Stony River of 1907.

"One neat thing to research would be when the first car actually appeared in the town," mused Zeus.

"Ah, that might be interesting."

"I think this is really going to be a local hit. I'm guessing that you see that, too."

Paul nodded.

Zeus looked up. "Mind if I share this with Meows? He's brilliant -- I'm betting he'll have some great ideas."

"If you want to," replied Paul. "He is a sharp one."

Zeus started pawing at the keyboard. "Ehh, I have to email him and ask him if he'll mind helping out with this."

"You have an email address?" Paul asked incredulously.

Zeus looked at him. "Of course."

"What is it?"

The cat laughed. "TheCatsMeow at whatever our service is."

"Oh!" Paul smiled. "I like that."

"Yeah, I thought it was a little more original than yours."

"That it is."

“While I’m at it, I bet Saav can help you too. Can I ask her to read it, too?”

“Sure. Let them all read it. I can use all the help I can get,” said Paul.

"Remind me to download messenger when I get done. I have to add Pook and Saav, Meows, and Bart and Belle so we can chat at night."

"But you'll be together all day," Paul frowned. "Won't you all get sick of each other?"

"I know, but I've been recruited to help teach Belle, too, and we take turns so we don't get so burned out. We help each other by looking up sites and information," explained Zeus. “Also, all of them have their own schoolwork to do, and need time for that too. I have more free time than they do.”

“Schoolwork?”

“Yes. College classes online. Pook’s in computer graphics and web design, Saav’s doing the creative writing thing and journalism, Bart’s getting through high school courses through the adult GED program, and Meows is doing the business accounting thing because he likes math and Suzanna hates it. Little Belle is in a primary home-schooling course.”

"Oh." Paul checked the salmon steaks. "That’s fascinating! Online courses is a great idea for you guys. You can’t exactly march into a classroom somewhere and enroll.”

"I think it’s a wonderful thing to do on a computer: learn. They also are in an Internet cat group. The members in that group think they are humans posing as cats. That's pretty funny."

"They joined a cat group? On the Internet?" Paul shook his head.

"Yeppers. I'm going to see if they'll let me in too. I think it'd be fun to go in and mess with the humans like they are," said Zeus.

"You would," sighed Paul. "Don't be too hard on those poor people, okay?"

Zeus looked at him. "Who, me?"

"Yeah, you!"

"Hmpf. I'm not hard on anyone. Why would I start now?"

"You're rough on me!"

Zeus laughed. "Yeah, but you deserve it. That's different."

"What?!"

"And you're gullible. Is that smoke coming out of the oven there?" Zeus asked, looking alarmed.

Paul whirled around and yanked open the oven door, but there was no smoke. The salmon steaks were broiling nicely. "What smoke? Where?"

Zeus snickered. "Told you were gullible."

"I REALLY liked you a lot better before you could talk!" Paul fumed at him, slamming the oven door closed.

"When's dinner gonna be ready?" asked Zeus.

"In about ten minutes. Why?"

"I gotta go to the box. Be right back."

"Try the toilet just once, willya?" Paul asked.

"No." Zeus jumped off the table and headed for the cat door to the garage. "Cats don't do toilets."

After dinner, Paul and Zeus sat back at the table, stuffed.

"That wasn't bad," said Paul.

Zeus belched. "Nope, not bad at all. So. What are we doing tonight?"

"I'm watching TV," said Paul. "You can do whatever you want."

"Not another cop show!"

"Yes, I like cop shows," Paul said firmly.

"But I hate them!"

"Like I said, there's four --"

"I KNOW there's four TVs in this house and I can pick one! Did you ever think that I like your company and would rather be with you than off by myself, holed up somewhere all alone?" Zeus told him.

Paul stared at him. "I didn't know that."

"Well, now you do. Can't we meet in the middle?"

Paul shrugged. "I'm listening."

"Three nights a week, you can watch your cop shows if you'll plug my computer up in there with you so I have something to look at besides that crap on the TV. Two nights a week, I choose what we do together. We split the weekends. Fair enough?"

"Okay, that's fair. I think I'd rather have you around me than holed up off by yourself too," agreed Paul.

"See, that's not so hard, is it?"

"Not really. But who goes first?"

"Coin toss," suggested Zeus.

"I call heads," said Paul, digging a quarter out of his pocket. He tossed it, caught it, and slapped it on the table. He took his hand away. Tails.

"I win," Zeus grinned.

"Oh boy. You're not going to make me chase mice with you or anything like that, are you?"

"You're too slow for that. You'd just hurt yourself or get in the way," retorted Zeus.

"Thanks a lot!"

"You asked for it. Actually," said Zeus, nosing the bag of new books on the table, "I was hoping to check out one of these tonight."

"Okay. That sounds good."

"And I want to listen to some of your classical music collection in the background. Especially the Wagner."

"I didn't know you liked music," said Paul.

"Of course I do. Why wouldn't I?"

Paul shook his head. "It's just...a cat with definite tastes is hard to get used to."

"Well, it's part of getting to know each other. I already know what you like to do, because I've been observing that for months. You just don't know me as a sentient feline."

"I didn't know there WERE sentient felines til the other day!"

Zeus sighed. "Ah, yes. That human arrogance again. I suppose you also think that you are the only intelligent beings in the universe, too."

"I don't know if we are or not. I never thought about it," Paul replied.

Last edited:
"See? You probably don't bother to look at the big picture. There's others out there, bet on it. They might look like cell phone towers or something, but they're out there."

"How do you know?"

"And who didn't believe cats could talk? Think about it."

Paul sighed. "I guess so. If cats can talk, anything's possible."

"Now you're thinking. Are you going to tell your kids and grandkids about me?"

"No. They'd put me in a home, because you'd dummy up just to make me look nuts," said Paul.

"No, I wouldn't do that to you, because that could easily happen. But I have to admit, that's a pretty good stunt to pull on someone! I like it," Zeus replied with a smile.

"Gee, thanks. I guess that's a real compliment, coming from you. But no, and you'll really have to dummy up when they visit. No computer, no nothing, no signs of sentience."

Zeus sighed. "I was afraid of that. Hey, wait -- why not let me stay with Carrie or Suzanna or Joyce when they visit? You could make up something like I'm a therapy cat being loaned out to handicapped people or something."

Paul looked at him. "Okay, I'll ask them. It's really not fair to you, in your own home, to have to do that. I don't think they'll mind. That's a good idea. Also, it eliminates the possibility of a mistake."

"A mistake? Like what?"

"Like if you forget and speak, or I forget and ask you a question."

"Oh." Zeus looked uncomfortable. "It's a shame to keep secrets from your kids, though. You're close to them."

"Believe me, I've actually kept a lot of things from my kids, especially things I didn't think they'd understand. Human parents do that. People -- and some cats -- have secrets."

Zeus nodded and nosed the bag of books again. "Well, I want to get into some cat lore or Socrates tonight."

Paul got up. "Let's go."

They settled in the big living room with Wagner on the CD player's Surround Sound, which turned the room into a concert hall. Paul turned it down to background level, and Zeus dragged his new blanket and pillow in and up on the couch, where he settled down. Paul chose the recliner next to it, and they settled down for an evening of reading and music, as the snow began to fall.

Back
Top Bottom